iOS 5 Findings, Issues, & Fixes

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Safari crashes

Settings - Safari - Private Browsing

If you set Private Browsing to "on" and later turn this feature to "off" (default setting), once you reopen Safari, it immediately crashes. Couldn't open Safari without crashing until I turned phone off/on.

scruiD

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
When I try to go to mail on the phone I get this message:
Cannot Get Mail
The user name or password for "xxxx@gmail.com" is incorrect.

It is a gmail account that I have always used....any thoughts?

updating to iOS5 blanks all your account passwords stored, so go to settings, emails and set the password for the email again and you are fine ;)

scruiD

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I just finished updating my iPad to iOS 5. I used the restore method because I was getting major backup delays. Anyway, it updated the iPad without any problem, but now it won't restore it. When it got to the restore option, it said it could not be restored and just quit. Quit...like it's no big deal that I can't get all my data back onto my iPad! Seriously?!

Anyone know how to manually dig into the backup file? If I lose all my app data, I might lose it.

Edit: I got it to start the restore finally, but got an error message when it got to the actual restoring. It was a 3xxx message, which are usually connection errors. So, I guess I'll try again in the morning unless someone has a better idea. Thanks.

3xxx? need it more detailed ;) usually it fails when you have a host entry for gs.apple.com redirected to saurik (caused through Jailbreaks, can be done manually but also some programs have an option to set, if you remove it from the host, REBOOT(!!!) and try it again it should work ;)

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Settings - Safari - Private Browsing

If you set Private Browsing to "on" and later turn this feature to "off" (default setting), once you reopen Safari, it immediately crashes. Couldn't open Safari without crashing until I turned phone off/on.

Weird. I couldn't replicate. Restore from backup or as new?

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I can't seem to figure out the "Function to convert voice to text" feature. Is this strictly a Siri/iPhone4s feature? I thought the iP4 would have it.

That's iPhone 4S only, I'm afraid. While it's not really Siri, you're still basically sending what you say to Apple's Siri servers, and the text of that is bounced back to you.

OC Pcar

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
To sync wirelessly you have to be plugged in. Not to your computer with iTunes anymore, but into a power outlet.

no not true on the power part.. I reinstalled itunes and rebooted the pc, re-launched itunes and bam my iphone and ipad showed up hit sync on each one and it worked.. now I need to see what happens when I close itunes and restart

natefish

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
updating to iOS5 blanks all your account passwords stored, so go to settings, emails and set the password for the email again and you are fine ;)

When I updated and restored, it restored all of my passwords, so I don't think that's quite right. After wrestling with my update for hours on end, I would right off anything missing as a bug. Apple's update system seems riddled with them, as seen in responses to threads like this and polls on various tech blogs. My WinMo and WebOS phones were much less of a headache to update, especially WebOS. I'm in too deep to leave the iOS ecosystem, but I won't say it's perfect by any means. At least we got a free major update and you can't knock that.

Singlestick

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
After updating my iPad I found that the old iPod icon had been replaced with a new one labeled Music. However, I found that all my podcasts, music, playlists and iTunes University downloads were gone. I downloaded a new podcast with no problem, so I know the revised app is working fine.

However, what is the best way of restoring everything?

epb

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
no not true on the power part.. I reinstalled itunes and rebooted the pc, re-launched itunes and bam my iphone and ipad showed up hit sync on each one and it worked.. now I need to see what happens when I close itunes and restart

You can manually sync it without being plugged in, yes - they're assuming you wouldn't try it with 1% power remaining. For it to sync automatically, it's got to be plugged in (pp 38, Ipad User Guide to iOS 5, "Syncing with iTunes, see also pp. 328, "iTunes Wi-Fi Sync").

NotHomer

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I am at the restore point on my iP4 and it is asking me for a password. I don't remember setting a password. It is also telling me that my older backup doesn't exist. Anyone else have this issue?:confused:

After some time on the phone with Apple, I found that I would have to start from scratch. Luckily between MobileMe and apps on my Mac, not too much lost. :mad:

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I updated and lost all my apps and contacts when I went to restore it.

I have since tried to restore it twice.

Any help???

It wipes when you install. You should be able to restore from the backup you (hopefully) made beforehand.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 using Tapatalk

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I cant get it to sync my ringtones!!! What am I doing wrong!? Help PLEEEASE!:confused:

Same here. When I look at the iPhone in iTunes, it shows the whole list in the phone. The phone itself only shows three. So if I go to the ringtones tab and tell it to sync ringtones it says something to the effect of "Are you sure you want to sync ringtones? You will lose all music movies and _________[something else] on this device. So I haven't done it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR