WiFi Sync over University Networks?

zack125

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, I've read a couple threads about WiFi sync, one of my most anticipated features in iOS 5, however no one has mentioned (as far as I can see), whether it works on a University WiFi network?

My university has WiFi almost everywhere on campus, but what about interference from other people with iTunes on their computers? Can the iOS tell which computer's iTunes is it's home library?

Furthermore, I think that the following is unlikely to work; my computer is behind a router on the university's network, so that pretty much makes it impossible for iOS to find it, without any jailbreak modifications, right?

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, I've read a couple threads about WiFi sync, one of my most anticipated features in iOS 5, however no one has mentioned (as far as I can see), whether it works on a University WiFi network?

My university has WiFi almost everywhere on campus, but what about interference from other people with iTunes on their computers? Can the iOS tell which computer's iTunes is it's home library?

Furthermore, I think that the following is unlikely to work; my computer is behind a router on the university's network, so that pretty much makes it impossible for iOS to find it, without any jailbreak modifications, right?

I don't quite understand you're question. But, it seems like you're asking whether iTunes is going to know it's your account or someone else's. It's just a WIFI network. It shouldn't interfere with you're iTunes or anyone else iTunes.

I hope you find this somewhat useful :confused:

gregorypleau

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site

If the router is between your iPhone and your computer, iTunes Wi-Fi sync will not work.
If your iPhone and your computer are on the same WiFi network (i.e. same subnet, no router in between subnets) then you can use iTunes Wi-Fi sync.

iTunes Wi-Fi sync will only trigger automatically if you are plugged in and charging (from the wall), otherwise you can trigger it manually by going to Settings->General->iTunes Wi-Fi Sync-> Sync Now.
If your computer is not on the same Wi-Fi network, that will be greyed out.

Reactions: pipemilo

javierE186

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I think it might just work as long as you computer (with your iTunes library) is on the same WiFi network as your iPhone. What I think Apple did here was that they embedded a code in the iOS 5 firmware which is connected to iTunes. What I mean by this is that the iPhone will leave it's "mark" on iTunes and it will find that same code or the other half of it. I get what you mean that it will be impossible to find due to all the traffic on the network. I believe it might work but it will take a longer time then normal to find. I guess there is only one way to find out if it works or not :). I too live on campus so I'll test it out (when the jailbreak of iOS 5 goes out xD) and I'll try and let you know if it works, you can also do the same for me xD.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site

I know what you're saying. You have to authorize wifi sync between your computer and your iOS device. We have wired networks in my university's residence halls (which I've extended using a router) and wireless in the academic buildings. As long as both my laptop and my iPhone are connected to the same network, I haven't had an issue.

mark178

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
i too am having issues with my university's network and wi-fi sync. does anyone have any suggestions or solutions on how to fix this?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
There is probably multiple subsets and router on campus so one router can't handle it all... Simple solution I would do is if you have a wired connection in your room buy a wifi router and use dhcp to get a address from your wired connection in your room and then setup your own wireless connection to that .. That way your computer and your phone will both be on the same wifi network
Your phone will still pick up the campus wifi when u get out of range of your router .. If your budget worried amazon has linksys routers refeb that I have used for 25 bucks and they work great

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73