Notification center: not in lockscreen...?

egrolman

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Email notifications on lockscreen not happening. Settings all correct; push on. ??

Well, 'push' did not solve the problem. I'm getting reminders, texts, notifications of 'Words with Friends'; no emails notifications showing up. I've sent myself an email from another account and had a friend send me one as well. They immediately showed up in my inbox (checked on my laptop); I'm just not getting any notice of their having arrived on the lockscreen. Any other ideas appreciated.

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
How long did you wait? Sometimes it can take a min or two (even though it's supposed to push immediately).

1) When you get to your home screen is there a red badge on your mail icon showing the new emails, or do they not actually show up in your inbox on the phone until you open it?

2) Are you sure you're using an email account that supports Push? You need to have an exchange account, yahoo, or mobile me for push to work.

egrolman

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
How long did you wait? Sometimes it can take a min or two (even though it's supposed to push immediately).

1) When you get to your home screen is there a red badge on your mail icon showing the new emails, or do they not actually show up in your inbox on the phone until you open it?

2) Are you sure you're using an email account that supports Push? You need to have an exchange account, yahoo, or mobile me for push to work.
In response to the questions above from the generous folks trying to help me solve my problem:
1. Well, it's been three hours since I sent the email and no, it's not yet arrived on the lockscreen [it did arrive in my inbox, though].
2. Sometimes I see the red badge and sometimes I have to open the app. For this last test email, I did not see the red badge.
3. Yes, I'm sure that the mail arrived before I unlock the phone. I could hear it on my laptop.
4. It IS an exchange account: it's Outlook Web App.
5. I have 'push' on, but it must not be working, b/c I hear the mail arrive on my laptop, but I have to open the mail app to find it on my phone.

I've read every article on the web about this, it seems, without finding a solution. I've double and
triple checked my settings: those, I'm positive, are where they're supposed to be.
Thanks~

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
So what this means is that it's not pushing to your phone. The server has to support push. Was this working before iOS 5?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if your issue is related to the use of Outlook Web App. Can you describe the steps you used to set it up in the mail app? Obviously I'm assuming you're using the native mail app?right?

If you notice here, it mentions using POP or IMAP for iPhones: Getting Started with Outlook Web App

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
In response to the questions above from the generous folks trying to help me solve my problem:
1. Well, it's been three hours since I sent the email and no, it's not yet arrived on the lockscreen [it did arrive in my inbox, though].
2. Sometimes I see the red badge and sometimes I have to open the app. For this last test email, I did not see the red badge.
3. Yes, I'm sure that the mail arrived before I unlock the phone. I could hear it on my laptop.
4. It IS an exchange account: it's Outlook Web App.
5. I have 'push' on, but it must not be working, b/c I hear the mail arrive on my laptop, but I have to open the mail app to find it on my phone.

I've read every article on the web about this, it seems, without finding a solution. I've double and
triple checked my settings: those, I'm positive, are where they're supposed to be.
Thanks~

Well if there was no red badge, that means the mail wasn't pushed to your phone and therefore there no way it can notify you it received mail (because it never received it). And outlook web app is a web page ... I assume you mean you can ALSO access your mail through OWA, but you actually have it entered as an exchange account in settings-mail.

safetytx

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I disagree.... I have an option in Notifications, Calendar, at the bottom "View in Lock Screen" on or off. Therefore with that option set to on I would expect to see calendar entries to show on the lock screen, but they don't. I do get everything else showing on the lock screen.

Also the swipe down once past the lock screen displays all notifications including calendar. However I have set the option to show 5 calendar appointments, but I only ever get 1 displayed.

There must be a bug on the lock screen calendar notifications.

Jay

This is normal. The lockscreen notifications are for calendar alerts. The Notification center (pull down) only shows the next 24 hours from what I can tell. The setting for showing 5 items is for calendar items in notification center. I have changed mine to one and it shows one. When I increase it it only shows the next 24 hours up to 10 events.:(

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This may sound dumb but did u go to settings notifications and make the mail app display in nc I think by default it does not

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I hope there will be a jailbreak tweak to get the notification center in lock screen.

exactly! i have been keeping a look out for this. surely some brilliant Dev will tackle this one

i will make sure to create a thread in the jailbreak section as soon as this is available!

jaytapp21

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
No. Every time you unlock the phone, the alerts will no longer show up on the lock screen (although they will remain in Notification Center [that is, the window shade when your phone is unlocked] until they are cleared). Like others have been saying, calendar notifications only show up on the lock screen if your phone is locked and you have an event reminder set or receive an event invitation.

Example event reminder notification in the lock screen:

Click to view quoted image

I'm not getting a notification like that at all.

The steps I'm following - as a test.
Eg, Time currently 16:00 hrs
Create test appointment/event for 16:15 busy until 16:30 with a reminder at 5 minutes before (16:10)
Create second appointment/event for 16:45 busy until 17:00 with a reminder 5 minutes before (16:40)
Let my phone lock itself
Send an email at 16:06
At 16:08, push the home button on the phone to view the lock screen, I have 1 notificication for the email and nothing for the calendar entry at 16:15 or 16:45. Unlock the phone swipe down at the 2 calendar entires show with a previous all day event.
Let the phone lock and try again at 16:37.
Again nothing.

Now with the settings as previously mentioned as in lock screen on in the calendar settings, I should gt the notification appear in the lock screen for the 2 timed entries. I think very buggy hopefully corrected one way or another.

Jay

egrolman

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
So what this means is that it's not pushing to your phone. The server has to support push. Was this working before iOS 5?
Mail is definitely set to display in nc. The main issue here --(I think) is that before iOS 5, push worked. And now it doesn't. And i don't know how to fix this.

egrolman

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Exchange Mail not pushing to Notification Center FIX

Found the answer on another forum: Delete iCloud account and Exchange mail Push starting working again. So simple. Now, hopefully there will be a fix for this, so I can both get my mail pushed AND use iCloud.

pegasusl

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmm..

Just an observation here, I'm on a Non-JB phone (stock) and have noticed that a couple of times I've synced the phone the lock screen settings for eMail change so the lockscreen notification is disabled.

When I notice it (just now and again) has happened, I go back into settings and switch it back on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods