Favorite unnoticed iOS 5 feature?

B

bonesb

That's after you update to iOS 5 thru iTunes. All updates after that are ota. That's my understanding of it

Nothing clear on this yet, but likely quite correct. iOS 5 weighed in at over 700 MB, deltas were smaller at around and also over 100 MB.

B

bonesb

What am i missing? I don't notice any difference in email.

Lots. On any line - selected text or not, the ability to indent. Bulleted/numbered lists. With a word selected, bold/italic/underlining and definitions. Inbox has thread organization, which can be disabled.

Yes, much of this was available via 3rd-party apps, but it's all native now.

Still waiting to be able to change fonts and font size, but I'll take the changes and I've already ditched a few apps I'd used to compose email and am using the native client more often now.

auntiewiv

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Tapping on a contacts twitter username brings up an option to tweet them from the tweet sheet without starting up a twitter app! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone iOS5 using Tapatalk

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Actually, you shouldn't even need iTunes. Updates are done on the device now. No iTunes needed.

Wrong. Only delta updates are done OTA. You want to restore an iPhone? iTunes. You want to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 or 5.2? You need iTunes.

Now if you go from 5.0 to 5.0.1, or 5.1 to 5.1.1, then no, you don't need iTunes. Got it? Good. lol

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to enjoy routes in the maps app. I've been using maps to travel since 2009 and bow they will give me alternate routes. Awesome! I saw when Scott forstall was asking Siri where Hoover tower was it showed "route 1" and I was excited to see thar.

Farmdreads

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
I love the custom vibrations for contacts, and that you don't really have limit on how many you can save. Multi-touch gestures on the iPad are also irreplaceable and impressive. I think it's very cool how each device has its own features that set it apart from others. I have noticed though that Apple hasn't advertised new multi-touch gestures for iPad very much, if at all. I do wish the iPhone had similar gestures to keep from hitting the home button so often.

Email has been really fixed up, of course Apple advertised that since iOS 5 debuted. I do love that if I check my email on one device, it automatically updates all my devices.

Apple is just making this too much fun. :)

That sounds great. I hope I can set an email alias as my main email address. I am getting tired of switching the "from" address for every email. Grrrrr.

bub_33

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not to be rude, but you can get lock screen notifications for email...............

Just go to your Notifications tab in settings and look for email. Then make sure mail is set to banners, and has the "view in lock screen" option turned on.

I don't see anything like this? when i go into notifications, there is nothing email related.

mperkel

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Guess, it should be posted here, not a new thread.

I found Recently Closed Tabs in Safari.
Hold down the + sign to open a new tab.
Recently Closed Tabs list should pop up!

rmm41486

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
What issues are you referring to? Please do tell...

GPS is not always locating me as it used too. and Apps like Shopkick, Checkpoint never show my current location. Locations I'm being given sometimes seem like there Triangular ones since its mostly somewhere around me. Occasionally its locating me now.

tham

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Wrong. Only delta updates are done OTA. You want to restore an iPhone? iTunes. You want to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 or 5.2? You need iTunes.

Now if you go from 5.0 to 5.0.1, or 5.1 to 5.1.1, then no, you don't need iTunes. Got it? Good. lol

I don't think this is true. The whole "PC Free" feature of iOS5 means you don't need to have a computer to own (and update) iPhones, iPads, and iPods. All software updates should be OTA.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site

Nope. I am right. If you are running iOS 5 GM, then any updates from now on can be over the air. Even your second point is wrong. If I want to restore, I can backup to iCloud, restore in settings, and restore from iCloud backup. Once again, no Itunes needed...

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Nope. I am right. If you are running iOS 5 GM, then any updates from now on can be over the air. Even your second point is wrong. If I want to restore, I can backup to iCloud, restore in settings, and restore from iCloud backup. Once again, no Itunes needed...

On your second point, if you mess up your phone and you need to restore it from scratch, you don't need iTunes to get the restore file and start over clean? Of course you do. How you get back your settings is up to you, whether iCloud or computer. Also, as far as I know and experienced, an iCloud backup will not restore your music. Even more so your non-iTunes purchased music. You have to plug it in to sync it. You only get apps, icon arrangement, texts, voicemails, email settings, calendar, saved games, and whatever else you checked off under iCloud settings. So no, you can't fully function without iTunes.

On your first point. You're right. It seems many people misinterpreted the keynote.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox