Is iOS 5 GM the final release?

Bro-row

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon wireless iPhone 4 running iOS 5 GM and I love it. However, I have a significantly higher battery drain. Is the GM the same as the final release or will they tweak it for the official release? I understand some may not know yet but what have they done in the past? Thanks.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
sometimes the final release does change but you may have to restore as new to eliminate battery issues

Bro-row

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I actually did that in the first place. Are you saying I should try it again. If so I would be more than happy to.

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Could be related to your jailbreak applications .... might not be updated to work perfectly with the new os yet. Usually the GM version is very close if not exact to the official release.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a Verizon wireless iPhone 4 running iOS 5 GM and I love it. However, I have a significantly higher battery drain. Is the GM the same as the final release or will they tweak it for the official release? I understand some may not know yet but what have they done in the past? Thanks.

The GM release is as close to "finished" as it can be at this point. It's the GOLD MASTER copy that is sent to the manufacturing site - and it's the version that is installed on all new phones coming out of the factory.

It's possible that Apple will have an update ready to go on either 10/12 (iOS 5 release day) or 10/14 (iPhone 4S release day).

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
nowhere in the original post was mentioning of being jailbroken so that's definitely case

drown-in, if you did a restore as new without backup then i see no reason to do it again

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Updates usually come soon after release of the OS and new iPhone for bug fixes. Not likely to happen before then. I only ever seen the GM version change once and that was iOS 4.2.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yeh, Apple will definately have a update after ios5 is released on the 12th for minor bugs,etc. But shouldn't be to many since its been in Beta for 5 months, lol. I think if we all complain about battery life Apple will do something to give us a little bit better battery, ha. I'm not saying theres battery issues by the way.

Bro-row

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have given my phone the opportunity to "settle" and the "new" restore helped a ton. It was interesting that I started with a "new" restore and had terrible battery life and did another and it is amazing. I did download the IOS5 GM from two different places however so maybe that had something to do with it.

jon01

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I'm tempted to put the GM on my iPhone (use an iPod touch 4th gen for testing) but I'm going to try to hold out until wednesday. its going to be a tough few days :)

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't Be surprised if there is an update by the 16th, especially as they are OTA, they can fix as they find!

@dp_scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm tempted to put the GM on my iPhone (use an iPod touch 4th gen for testing) but I'm going to try to hold out until wednesday. its going to be a tough few days :)

Go ahead and do it. You won't be sorry you didn't wait 2 days. Its a clean install and when its all said and done. You go through a setup on your phone with icloud, syncing, backup, findyourphone, wifi etc etc before you can actually use the phone.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know when is the official iOS5 release

Sometime on Wednesday, 10/12. It will be available whenever Apple makes it available - most likely around 10am PST...

This information is plastered all over the Apple universe as well as in multiple threads here at TiPb.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro