Apple seeds iOS 5 Gold Master - Leave Feedback here!

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So, is there anyone else with the GM that is getting this error? Is there a way to fix it? I know if it was working correctly it should tell me that my software is up to date.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just upgraded to the iOS 5 GM that was released today and noticed that whenever I goto settings > General > Software Update, I get an error saying:

"unable to check for update
an error occured while checking for a software update."

Is anyone else getting this same error with iOS 5 GM?

You just updated. There's nothing to update. Thus the likelihood you get that error. Duh.

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
You just updated. There's nothing to update. Thus the likelihood you get that error. Duh.

That is incorrect. If it was working properly, you would get a message along the lines of "Software is up to date," which I did when I had iOS 5 Beta 7. Now, running iOS 5 GM, I get the "Unable to Check for Update" error which I could only assume it means that it can't even check to see if my software is up to date or not. Almost like it is have issues connecting to the servers.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I have this error also. I assume it's a server issue on their end and nothing to worry about yet.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b7 using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That is incorrect. If it was working properly, you would get a message along the lines of "Software is up to date," which I did when I had iOS 5 Beta 7. Now, running iOS 5 GM, I get the "Unable to Check for Update" error which I could only assume it means that it can't even check to see if my software is up to date or not. Almost like it is have issues connecting to the servers.

Well, crap. Time to recall the greatest version of iOS ever delivered!

Get over it. It's a nit and I'm sure that it will be addressed with the first maintenance release.

As the others have said, you've just updated to the latest version - there are no updates available. "Duh" is the correct response.

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, crap. Time to recall the greatest version of iOS ever delivered!

Get over it. It's a nit and I'm sure that it will be addressed with the first maintenance release.

As the others have said, you've just updated to the latest version - there are no updates available. "Duh" is the correct response.

If you say so...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

How 'bout the servers have nothing to show you yet so the error generates?

Good gravy man - you're making much ado over nothing. By this time next week, the real deal will be out, and if the issue is still there a week from now, come back and whine about it. SMH...

nysos

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Is this true? I wanna get it when I get home if so.

Yep, I just installed it and don't have a developer UDID. I followed these steps:

1. Download the correct file. If you have a sim pick the GSM one, if no sim pick CDMA.
2. Update to at least Itunes 10.5 beta 7. Restart your computer after it is done updating.
3. Perform a backup (sync) of your phone (takes about 2-3 minutes in iTunes depending on the data on your phone)
4. Extract the DMG file and put the extracted file somewhere you can easily find it.
5. Hold shift/alt+click Restore and it will ask you to find the file you extracted. This completely wipes the phone.
7. Then after it applies your backup and starts loading in your apps, photos, music, books and other data just like you had it before. You won't lose any data at all it just takes a bit longer than doing an update does.

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
How 'bout the servers have nothing to show you yet so the error generates?

Good gravy man - you're making much ado over nothing. By this time next week, the real deal will be out, and if the issue is still there a week from now, come back and whine about it. SMH...

yeah, I'm not making much ado over it, just pointing out an error. Was only curious if others was getting it too. Any error message isn't normal. No need to get bent out of shape over this thread. SMH...

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
No need to get as bent as you did in the first place... smh

Please, do describe how I was bent out of shape in the first place. Kind of curious about that. I simply stated I got an error and ask if others got it too.

Anyways, was reading other cases on this and it was noted that apparently apple has disabled the ability to use that feature until the 12, which would explain the error.

That was the kind of response I was looking for, rudeness was unnecessary.

auntiewiv

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You can use HFSExplorer to unpack the dmg file on windows and extract the iPhone ipsw file :) I did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Please, do describe how I was bent out of shape in the first place. Kind of curious about that. I simply stated I got an error and ask if others got it too.

Anyways, was reading other cases on this and it was noted that apparently apple has disabled the ability to use that feature until the 12, which would explain the error.

That was the kind of response I was looking for, rudeness was unnecessary.

How about we all dial the attitude back a notch or two?

finz2lft

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the GM version installed on both my Verizon iPhone 4 and my iPad2 wifi. I am missing the location feature for reminders and also the camera icon on the lock screen. Am I missing where to set these up?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh