If you're on the GM, you won't have anything to update to. The GM is the iOS 5 that everyone else will get next week. It will not be an OTA update.

Why are you not syncing your contacts with iTunes or Google to avoid the issues you are describing?
    I've been trying to do that but I can't for the life of me figure it out, when i had my droid 3 all my. Contacts synced via google and when I got my iPhone the Verizon guy did something where he pushed my contacts from google to my phone how do I do it?
    10-09-2011 02:34 PM
    On your iPhone, go into settings, and make sure that your Google account (where your contacts are) is set up as an Exchange account.
    10-09-2011 02:59 PM
    What about when it says servers.domain.com what do I put there? And is it Microsoft exchange cuz that's the only one i see.
    10-09-2011 03:05 PM
    What do I put as the server name
    10-09-2011 03:08 PM
    What do I put as the server name
    Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help
    Alli likes this.
    10-09-2011 03:13 PM
    Awesome it works thanks everyone another question if I wanted to add a contact so it synced up with my google contacts I just add my contact to the google contacts group under my contacts and would it go save itself from there?
    10-09-2011 03:20 PM
    As long as your Gmail exchange account is set as your default account, then yes, any time you add a contact it will add to your Google contacts.
    10-09-2011 03:59 PM
    There's a slight possibility there will be a GM 2 seeded, but I doubt it. For a fact, over-the-air updates were not an option when updating to the GM from beta 7. After that, it will be smooth sailing. I've seen 2 GM versions released only once before, so I wouldn't count on that.

If you're having issues with notification center, I recommend going into seeings and playing with the new features. If you haven't used iOS 5 at all until the GM, give it some time to soak. There's a lot to soak in on this update from earlier iOS versions.
    I thought OTA was disabled for the GM because (i read this somewhere; i will look for the source) the ramdisk could not be patched like all the other OTA updates. It had to be freshly reinstalled via itunes
    10-09-2011 11:39 PM
    Will iOS 5 be released on the 14th when the iPhone 4S's are out?
    10-10-2011 01:45 AM
    Sorry, guess I should have looked around a little more, is the 12th correct?
    10-10-2011 01:47 AM
    iOS 5 should be officially out on the 12th.
    10-10-2011 02:01 AM
    Has anyone had any issues with the GPS after upgrading to iOS 5 GM?
    10-10-2011 02:28 AM
    I can't wait for iOS 5 to come out
    10-10-2011 09:04 AM
    The GPS works great for me, actually. I love the new Maps app. You can choose 1 of 3 routes, typically.

What's wrong with yours?
    10-10-2011 09:16 AM
    Can anyone confirm whether the location based reminder working for iPad 1 wifi version??

Also..about iMessage ..I have an iPad and if I want to MSG someone with an iPhone I m guessing I have to and it to his phone number...but what if I wanna text someone with an iPad? Do I put in his iTunes ID in the to field? Or ME ID? And would he just receive a text or receive an email too in tht address? I have the gm version but don't know anyone else who r using it, so can't check myself
    Last edited by isrararrafi; 10-10-2011 at 10:18 AM.
    10-10-2011 10:13 AM
    You would need the email address they have chosen to have as their iMessege ID.

Btw I am also wondering about Location based reminders. Can any one shed some light on this? I can't see them at all in the GM.
    10-10-2011 11:43 AM
    Has anyone had any issues with the GPS after upgrading to iOS 5 GM?
    Mine has been fine
    10-10-2011 12:00 PM
    I just got done installing the GM. Unfortunately my phone takes forever to restore with a full 32 gbs of music and apps packed onto the phone
    10-10-2011 12:04 PM
    i can't say things seamlessly for me. i made a backup with itunes 10.4.1 and 4.2.10 just prior to installing iTunes 10.5 beta 9 and ios 5. i restored to ios 5 and everything went well..that is until i tried to restore from my backup.

initially i kept getting a message that said my backup is corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone. then i tried restoring from an older iphone backup i pulled from time machine to see if that worked. it didn't.

eventually i brought my backup to my friends computer which had iTunes 10.4.1. i put the phone in dfu and restored it back down to 4.2.10. so far so good. when i tried restoring from the initial backup again the iphone would just disconnect for no reason in the middle of the upgrade. bummer.

thankfully i didn't lose too much because it's all on my computer/synced with google...i did, however, lose my app organization and settings, text messages etc. i tried restoring several times and just could not get my backup to restore. it really does appear to be corrupt somehow.

i won't be trying to upgrade early in the future, that's for sure. i'm also not sure if i can truly trust iphone backups anymore. now that i have everything back to normal with iOS 5 i've made a fresh backup and restored to factory and restored from backup just to make sure it's working now and it is.

edit: aside from the above issues i've been using iOS 5 and it's working great.
    Last edited by wezman2k; 10-10-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    10-10-2011 02:50 PM
    The GPS works great for me, actually. I love the new Maps app. You can choose 1 of 3 routes, typically.

What's wrong with yours?

It doesn't always wanna lock me in to my location like it used too
    10-10-2011 04:06 PM

Btw I am also wondering about Location based reminders. Can any one shed some light on this? I can't see them at all in the GM.
    What do you mean you can't see them? You mean the option to set one is not there?
    10-10-2011 04:58 PM
    What do you mean you can't see them? You mean the option to set one is not there?
    well, it wasnt pointed at me, but i have a similar situation...in the reminders app there are no options to set a location reminder...only the set reminder on a specific day is there.
    10-10-2011 05:13 PM
    Yeah mine is the same is that, sorry if I wasn't very clear
    10-10-2011 05:20 PM

Not sure if you have figured this one out yet, but after creating the reminder, tap on it and there is an option that you can change when to remind and the location based is in there.
    10-11-2011 03:30 AM
    i can't say things seamlessly for me. i made a backup with itunes 10.4.1 and 4.2.10 just prior to installing iTunes 10.5 beta 9 and ios 5. i restored to ios 5 and everything went well..that is until i tried to restore from my backup.

initially i kept getting a message that said my backup is corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone. then i tried restoring from an older iphone backup i pulled from time machine to see if that worked. it didn't.

eventually i brought my backup to my friends computer which had iTunes 10.4.1. i put the phone in dfu and restored it back down to 4.2.10. so far so good. when i tried restoring from the initial backup again the iphone would just disconnect for no reason in the middle of the upgrade. bummer.

thankfully i didn't lose too much because it's all on my computer/synced with google...i did, however, lose my app organization and settings, text messages etc. i tried restoring several times and just could not get my backup to restore. it really does appear to be corrupt somehow.

i won't be trying to upgrade early in the future, that's for sure. i'm also not sure if i can truly trust iphone backups anymore. now that i have everything back to normal with iOS 5 i've made a fresh backup and restored to factory and restored from backup just to make sure it's working now and it is.

edit: aside from the above issues i've been using iOS 5 and it's working great.
    A similiar fiasco happened with me. The 10.5 iTunes beta won't use any backups NOT using iOS5. I had to save my itunes xml. file, delete itunes, and re-install back to the official iTunes.

that was the FIRST time i used iOS5 when it was at like Beta 1... Next time I'm just going to delete iTunes completely and use Copy Trans to take everything off my phone and put it back into iTunes..
    10-11-2011 08:01 AM
157 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD