Status Bar Notifier for iOS 5

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I kind of think iOS 5 is sorely missing some kind of notifier for when you have unaddressed notifications in the notification center UI.

So, I designed this. It's based on the little clock icon that shows when you have an alarm active, but instead it could feature a number to denote how many unread notifications you have. Alternatively, it could simply show an exclamation point rather than a number (because the number might be a little small to see comfortably).

statusnotifier.jpg

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i like the stock look a lot. coming from a jailbreak background myself this is something i really haven't seen

nice work

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
i like the stock look a lot. coming from a jailbreak background myself this is something i really haven't seen

nice work

Thanks.. I do feel like the jailbreak devs could really benefit from adopting a style that is more directly inspired by the actual OS. Most of the time the biggest reason that I delete a mod is that it doesn't go well with the rest of the OS.

dwfw

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I would much prefer a solution like the one suggested by jellotime91, compared to an LED... but I see the need for something. Hopefully Apple will oblige, as I'm not sure that I want to jailbreak on iOS 5.

Andy357

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been debating this notification thing back and forth myself. I've had iOs devices along with BB's. I don't know about a LED on iPhone, but really like the o.p.'s idea.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the "iOS look" because it's so plain and grey scale, just a sea of grey.

Give it some color and I'm in, or I'll just wait for the jailbreak:cool::cool:

Stevochella

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
The notification system for iOS 4 has proven to be very frustrating for many users. The big blue box that pops up with a single notification message tends to gets in the way. This has been completely redesigned for iOS 5. All notifications are put into groups which can be accessed by a simple swipe down from the status bar. The classic notification box has been intelligently replaced by a small subtle message at the top of the screen. With the improved lock screen a voicemail, text message or any other notification can be actioned with just one swipe.iPhone 5 Release Date

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
personally i like the stock look & feel. my days of messing with themes and colors are over

it's interesting how my jailbreaking wants/needs have changed over time. my goals now consist of making good system even better.. annnd my Pandora Hack of course :D shh

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Agreed?my phone is pretty heavily tweaked, but it looks pretty stock to someone who isn't really looking closely. In fact, I'd say that most of my "theming" is redoing graphics in my jb tweaks so they fit in better with the overall Apple UI. So many themes I see just make me want to barf.

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a BlackBerry (last phone) I used. That is one feature, I really miss. The new notification center is awesome, but THAT one thing is missing. Just so you won't keep sliding it up and down. (that's what she said) I'd jailbreak, just for this.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Coming from a BlackBerry (last phone) I used. That is one feature, I really miss. The new notification center is awesome, but THAT one thing is missing. Just so you won't keep sliding it up and down. (that's what she said) I'd jailbreak, just for this.

Yeah it's definitely needed. I'd much rather have this than an LED.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
personally i like the stock look & feel. my days of messing with themes and colors are over

it's interesting how my jailbreaking wants/needs have changed over time. my goals now consist of making good system even better.. annnd my Pandora Hack of course :D shh

Agreed?my phone is pretty heavily tweaked, but it looks pretty stock to someone who isn't really looking closely. In fact, I'd say that most of my "theming" is redoing graphics in my jb tweaks so they fit in better with the overall Apple UI. So many themes I see just make me want to barf.

I do both, my phone is tweaked and themed.

As far as bad looking themes, you could say that about anything, there are some truly beautiful HD themes made for the retina display, and I feel they look much better than the boring stock look. For instance, with a theme, you can have it so that all your icons have a consistent look, while still being different, that's impossible without theming, some of the stock iPhone's I see with icons that all clash with eachother look terrible.

I guess it depends on the person, I like to customize things, from my car to my phone, I can't leave anything alone or I get bored.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree...a good theme can be great, and I do occasionally use them myself. It's just one of those things where people go crazy with a little bit of freedom and end up with just what you're saying about things clashing, ugly mixes of fonts, etc.

But then, that's the beauty of jailbreaking: To Each Their Own!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It's impossible for a theme to theme every app icon, though. They can add masks and borders, but that doesn't make them any more consistent than iOS in general. In fact it makes inconsistencies more obvious, because you have these extremely similar pictograph style icons, and then you have a glaring omission that may never be themed and you'll probably have to do it yourself.

And, the majority of users who jailbreak actually do not theme. They jailbreak for other tweaks or functionality, or to shamelessly steal 99 cent software. So when you do a jailbreak tweak, it's still better to use a consistent iOS style, so that it's more consistent for everyone. Also, those themes you install can access these images as well and change it to their liking.

Win-win.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner