iOS 5 random restore, can't go back?

natehoch96

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
So I went to unlock my iPad, running iOS 5 beta 5, and it was at the setup screen as if it just erased everything and restored itself. I was just using my iPad like five minutes before though. So then when I tried to set it up (in hopes I could go back and restore from a back up) it wouldn't activate. I then tried to restore from a backup but no luck, I get errors that the software expired. Then when I try to restore just the stock iOS 5 beta 5 software, it gives me errors (I got error 20 and error 3914 or something like that). It seems like everything I try to get back to iOS 5 just won't work. I'm running 4.3.5 right now, any suggestions on what to do?

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
So I went to unlock my iPad, running iOS 5 beta 5, and it was at the setup screen as if it just erased everything and restored itself. I was just using my iPad like five minutes before though. So then when I tried to set it up (in hopes I could go back and restore from a back up) it wouldn't activate. I then tried to restore from a backup but no luck, I get errors that the software expired. Then when I try to restore just the stock iOS 5 beta 5 software, it gives me errors (I got error 20 and error 3914 or something like that). It seems like everything I try to get back to iOS 5 just won't work. I'm running 4.3.5 right now, any suggestions on what to do?

iOS 5 beta builds are time bombed and expire after a period of time. If you were running beta 5 and it would not activate and told you it had expired, nothing you do will work. It has expired and will no longer activate with Apple.

You can only install beta 7, or 6 (but 6 will expire soon also as 7 is out.

By the fact that you don't know that I can assume you don't have a developer account, in which case you shouldn't be running it anyways.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b7 using Tapatalk.

natehoch96

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
iOS 5 beta builds are time bombed and expire after a period of time. If you were running beta 5 and it would not activate and told you it had expired, nothing you do will work. It has expired and will no longer activate with Apple.

You can only install beta 7, or 6 (but 6 will expire soon also as 7 is out.

By the fact that you don't know that I can assume you don't have a developer account, in which case you shouldn't be running it anyways.

Actually, I do. And I did know they expire. Beta 5 shouldnt have expired yet though, or so I've seen. I also tried installing beta 7 but I got the same exact errors.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I do. And I did know they expire. Beta 5 shouldnt have expired yet though, or so I've seen. I also tried installing beta 7 but I got the same exact errors.

Actually, now that I think about it, b5 should not have expired yet as b6 and b7 are only incremental updates....not full versions.

I would think that you would have to install b5 first and then OTA to b7.

I have no idea why you are getting errors though. Are you using the latest iTunes beta also?

hpcomputergeek

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple might've disabled your developer account or UDID. Did you buy a UDID spot from someone or do you have your own developer account?

natehoch96

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I am running the latest iTunes beta, yes. And I have my own account, I didn't buy a spot, which is why none of this makes sense.

hggs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Check your hosts file.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3086227?start=0&tstart=0

On Windows, the hosts file can be found here: C:\Windows\System32\ drivers\etc\hosts.
On OSX, the hosts file can be found here: /private/etc/hosts.

A standard Windows hosts file should look something like this -

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
127.0.0.1 localhost

If you have any lines that point to gs.apple.com, backup the hosts file and delete the lines (using a standard editor such as Notepad). You may need to ensure that you have admin privileges. Reboot and try the iTunes upgrade again.

If your hosts file is clean, you will have no option but to pursue the Apple recommendations - but at least you will have eliminated one of the more common causes of the error.

imthetalkofny

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
iPod not working on iPhone

Anyone else experiencing a problem with the iPod app? WHen I tap on a song to play it just skips to other songs and not all songs are available.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro