iOs 5 SMS Design

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I like the combined SMS & iMessage, as for the green and blue separation I think it works ver well & requires no thought which is fantastic for this Drone.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I hate the iMessage feature all but the UI.
I think there should be a separation between Text and IMing between iOS devices. They should be two different apps.
Anyone agree with me?

Why? As it is, it's simple and intuitive. Type a message to a messaging partner and let the technology sort out the how, where and why. Having to remember which messaging client you need to use for which messaging partner is way more effort than should be required. Just open it, pick a recipient and message them. What could be more simple?

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I hate the iMessage feature all but the UI.
I think there should be a separation between Text and IMing between iOS devices. They should be two different apps.
Anyone agree with me?

Why? Making it integrated allows users to automatically start saving their SMS messages without even knowing it.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
where's you get that stat?

im not really into saving things without 'my knowing it'

Well, seeing as from a visual design standpoint is IS better looking (this standpoint defined by design styles popular now amongst people and designers alike) it's a pretty safe bet.

And Jello meant saving as in not using. When you iMessage, you don't use up text messages that might be limited by a person's plan. Not saving as in downloading or keeping on the phone.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Well, seeing as from a visual design standpoint is IS better looking (this standpoint defined by design styles popular now amongst people and designers alike) it's a pretty safe bet.

thanks. i wasnt aware that was a fact.
i always thought opinions were actual opinions

Anja Nikolic

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I like the green button thing as well however it will depend on consumers will perceive the whole design change because nowadays it all at the end boils down the consumers and their perception at the end of the day which counts the most.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
thanks. i wasnt aware that was a fact.
i always thought opinions were actual opinions

Nothing I said suggested it was a fact. You're inferring from non-existent evidence. Opinions ARE opinions, but when a large majority of people knowledgeable on a subject agree on something, it usually caries more weight. People tend to like what is popular (since it can't be popular without people liking it) and the iOS SMS redesign fits in better with the evolving "web 2.0" design style which is immensely popular right now. As in, most people like it. As in, those who hate it are probably in a small minority. Hence ghostface's comment. :)

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I like the green button thing as well however it will depend on consumers will perceive the whole design change because nowadays it all at the end boils down the consumers and their perception at the end of the day which counts the most.

Honestly? Other than the functional change of colors I doubt the everyday user is even going to notice the change haha. I am agreeing with you, the user is what counts... And the average iPhone user could honestly probably care less :D

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Nothing I said suggested it was a fact. You're inferring from non-existent evidence. Opinions ARE opinions, but when a large majority of people knowledgeable on a subject agree on something, it usually caries more weight. People tend to like what is popular (since it can't be popular without people liking it) and the iOS SMS redesign fits in better with the evolving "web 2.0" design style which is immensely popular right now. As in, most people like it. As in, those who hate it are probably in a small minority. Hence ghostface's comment. :)
how can the new sms design be popular with the majority when the majority arent developers and havent even seen it.
also how can it be popular if it's what you're given and you dont have a choice between anything else?

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
how can the new sms design be popular with the majority when the majority arent developers and havent even seen it.
also how can it be popular if it's what you're given and you dont have a choice between anything else?

Ok, apparently you did not understand what I said. I will break it down:

iOS5 SMS design = web 2.0 design style
web 2.0 design style = popular
Therefore,
iOS5 SMS design = popular

The style of design the iOS 5 SMS design is based around is very popular. Therefore, it logically follows that the iOS5 SMS design will be popular.

And re: popular as your only choice ? what does that have to do with anything? We're comparing the look of iOS 5 SMS design with that of iOS 4, no? So the popularity has to do with which people would prefer, 4 or 5's design. 4 is outdated. 5 is not. 5 is probably going to be more popular than 4 because of the points I mentioned above. The fact that everybody's stuck with 5's design in the future is unrelated to the topic at hand.