iOS 5 Beta 6 being released Wed. Aug 17th

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I'd sooner say there's no schedule for the betas, and that they release when they have a significant fix/addition.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I believe at this point, iOS 5.0 is feature complete. Now it's time to crack down on the bugs. Any new features (outside of iPhone 5 new features) will come in 5.1 or .2 for us.

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or is the newsstand app not 100% working yet? the store button inside it is not functional yet on my iPhone 3GS.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It may happen. Maybe not. But I'm sure Apples original intention was not to release beta 5 on a Saturday so nothing is guaranteed.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
As with other issues/items... it will be here when it gets here. Still busy taking beta 5 for it's test drive.

brengla

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I believe at this point, iOS 5.0 is feature complete. Now it's time to crack down on the bugs. Any new features (outside of iPhone 5 new features) will come in 5.1 or .2 for us.

I agree. Though its a shame because there are things in iOS 5 that would have Ben better upgraded now. Such as some kind of marker in the status bar when a new notification comes in. It's easy to miss the little double height pop ups at the top of the screen.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Though its a shame because there are things in iOS 5 that would have Ben better upgraded now. Such as some kind of marker in the status bar when a new notification comes in. It's easy to miss the little double height pop ups at the top of the screen.

Totally agree, would love to see some sort of indicator that you have a missed notification. Would have also liked to see a updated version of maps, IMO Androids maps application smokes the version on iPhone.

Dazzx

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Agree , maps is well due an upgrade ! ,I have a sneaky feeling something. It is coming in the way of maps sometime next year.

---
- @dazzx
About.me/Darrent

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Apple plans to release next beta of iOS 5 on Wednesday, August 17 | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

We know you are just rooting through iOS Beta 5 now, but we?re think we?ve cracked the OTA update date code.

Apple plans to release their next developer seed of iOS 5, Beta 6, on Wednesday, August 17th according to some codes a few developers sent our way. The sources, who provided us with the exact date and time of today?s iOS 5 beta 5 release (which we were skeptical of ? because it was a Saturday), warns that because we are still days away from the planned release, the seeding can be delayed due to bugs or other reasons out of our control.

Anyway, you might want to block out your calendar for Wednesday evening.

guess we'll see if they truly cracked the OTA update code..

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
At this point next release may be GM ... As Beta 5 is running incredibly well, battery life is actually better than what I was getting on 4.3.5 and the phone is no longer warm to the touch after heavy usage. They have come a long way very quickly.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
At this point next release may be GM ... As Beta 5 is running incredibly well, battery life is actually better than what I was getting on 4.3.5 and the phone is no longer warm to the touch after heavy usage. They have come a long way very quickly.

I don't think they're ready for GM yet... and until Apple sorts out the reset/set up as new issue (which may, in fact, be totally an iTunes issue), I don't see it. Probably another beta or two before we see GM... but I agree, they keep getting better, and we're getting really close...

Reactions: jsntrenkler

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they're ready for GM yet... and until Apple sorts out the reset/set up as new issue (which may, in fact, be totally an iTunes issue), I don't see it. Probably another beta or two before we see GM... but I agree, they keep getting better, and we're getting really close...

There is still a issue with wifi sync as well, if you delete a item that is on your device and don't manually uncheck it in iTunes it will automatically re-install during your next sync, but I thought that may just be a iTunes issue. I am tempted to migrate my MobileMe to iCloud to test the iCloud backup feature, in the release notes on iOS B5 calendar events aren't pushing, so I am nervous about that at this point. However overall, I haven't had any issues aside from the random notification drawer appearing on the lock screen. I am very happy with this beta and special thanks to you sir :)

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

iOS may be good enough, but there are still some issues that need to be worked out. Plus developers still need to update their apps. Plus iTunes 10.5 still is buggy...which there's a thread on that.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Not a chance the next release will be GM. Too many bugs still to be ironed out. I think we see 2-3 more betas

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Not a chance the next release will be GM. Too many bugs still to be ironed out. I think we see 2-3 more betas

LOL, would be a fun line bet wouldn't it? That's the best and worst part about Apple, we won't know until we get there. I am very happy though with their progress.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

battery life is indeed magnificent. i remember there were discussions here a while back as to whether or not just software alone could improve it or not

i believe that it has with iOS 5

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
LOL, would be a fun line bet wouldn't it? That's the best and worst part about Apple, we won't know until we get there. I am very happy though with their progress.

I feel they have made worse progress this year. Last year beta 1 was almost useless. This year beta 1 was usable. Last year the had only 4 betas before it went GM. Not happening this year

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711