Please forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but I honestly do not know how to resolve this issue. My Macbook took a tumble down the stairs, so I am currently using an older PC that I gave to my son for school projects and what not. My issue is, I logged into my developer account and downloaded the Itunes 10.5 b4 and the IOS 5 b4 to install it on my Iphone and the Itunes is up and running just fine, but the IOS is no where to be found after downloading it to the desktop. When I open up Itunes to restore with the new OS it isnt even an option. Also, if I try to open the file where I downloaded the OS, it will not even open. Could this be an issue cause by working with Windows XP? I never had this issue before with my Mac.....Thanks for your info in advance.
    07-27-2011 09:47 AM
    Are you sure you downloaded it to the desktop? I always found tracking directory paths much easier on Windows than OSX.
    07-27-2011 09:49 AM
    Are you sure you downloaded it to the desktop? I always found tracking directory paths much easier on Windows than OSX.
    Yes Alli, I am sure. That is why this seems so strange. It is there, shows file size and all. Just cant access it for some reason.
    07-27-2011 09:56 AM
    Well keep in mind that if you download the file from the developer's site, it's only going to want to open on a mac since it's a .dmg extension. Windows has (as far as I know) ZERO ways of opening this type of file. Somehow it's going to have to be opened on a Mac first and then the file that shows up (ISPW file extension) can be opened in windows.
    wsm23#IM likes this.
    07-27-2011 10:59 AM
    Well keep in mind that if you download the file from the developer's site, it's only going to want to open on a mac since it's a .dmg extension. Windows has (as far as I know) ZERO ways of opening this type of file. Somehow it's going to have to be opened on a Mac first and then the file that shows up (ISPW file extension) can be opened in windows.
    Thanks Ghostface, I didnt even think of that. I'm not used to this damn old PC, haven't used it in years.
    07-27-2011 11:13 AM
    Thanks Ghostface, I didnt even think of that. I'm not used to this damn old PC, haven't used it in years.
    You should have... when you PMed me with this same question, one of the things I said to verify was to make sure you were downloading the Windows version of the iPhone firmware... that was 2 days ago...

The Windows version is available for download in the iCloud download area of the developer site.

#justsaying
    wsm23#IM likes this.
    07-27-2011 12:08 PM
    You should have... when you PMed me with this same question, one of the things I said to verify was to make sure you were downloading the Windows version of the iPhone firmware... that was 2 days ago...

The Windows version is available for download in the iCloud download area of the developer site.

#justsaying
    I wasn't thinking Hank, this PC has got me all *** backwards! I need my Mac back!
    07-27-2011 12:21 PM
    I wasn't thinking Hank, this PC has got me all *** backwards! I need my Mac back!
    I can certainly relate...
    07-27-2011 12:22 PM
    Damn, I didn't even know there was a windows version to be downloaded......
    07-27-2011 12:24 PM
    Damn, I didn't even know there was a windows version to be downloaded......
    I know there is a windows version of the Itunes beta, but Im not aware of one for the IOS 5 beta 4??? Do you Hank?
    07-27-2011 12:26 PM
    also keep in mind there is a 32bit and 64bit version to choose from as well
    07-27-2011 01:11 PM
    you're like me and the simple solution has escaped you. Just download the ipsw from the net it's all over the place. The only thing that matters is that your phone is registered, where you get the files to install doesn't matter. So just grab the ipsw from a torrent site and you're as good as gold.
    wsm23#IM likes this.
    07-27-2011 01:14 PM
    you're like me and the simple solution has escaped you. Just download the ipsw from the net it's all over the place. The only thing that matters is that your phone is registered, where you get the files to install doesn't matter. So just grab the ipsw from a torrent site and you're as good as gold.
    Thank you Sir! That sounds like a plan, any suggested sights that are more reliable than others? And my phone UDID is registered!
    07-27-2011 01:26 PM
    I know there is a windows version of the Itunes beta, but Im not aware of one for the IOS 5 beta 4??? Do you Hank?
    Yes... it's in the iCloud download area...

Click on:
    iCloud for Developers

then:
    Downloads

then:
    it's the first download link (iOS 5 beta 4) under iOS 5 Downloads. Follow that link, scroll down and pick your device.
    Last edited by Fausty82; 07-27-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    07-27-2011 01:57 PM
    also keep in mind there is a 32bit and 64bit version to choose from as well
    There's only a single ipsw file for the iphone firmware... there are 32- and 64-bit versions of iTunes 10.5B4 for Windows.
    07-27-2011 01:58 PM
    Yes... it's in the iCloud download area...

Click on:
    iCloud for Developers

then:
    Downloads

then:
    it's the first download link (iOS 5 beta 4) under iOS 5 Downloads. Follow that link, scroll down and pick your device.
    This is the same place I have been downloading it from, it is the .dmg file. It cannot be opened on XP.
    07-27-2011 02:12 PM
    There's only a single ipsw file for the iphone firmware... there are 32- and 64-bit versions of iTunes 10.5B4 for Windows.
    yes sir. i thought we were talking iTunes. this thread is getting confusing haha
    07-27-2011 02:35 PM
    This is the same place I have been downloading it from, it is the .dmg file. It cannot be opened on XP.
    I didn't check the actual file, as I have a GSM phone and use a Mac. Check your PMs.
    07-27-2011 02:39 PM
    I didn't check the actual file, as I have a GSM phone and use a Mac. Check your PMs.
    Thank You very much, I will try that as soon as I get home.
    07-27-2011 03:37 PM
    Google "Transmac". It's a program that will extract .dmg files on PC. 15 day free trial.
    wsm23#IM likes this.
    07-27-2011 04:02 PM
    Google "Transmac". It's a program that will extract .dmg files on PC. 15 day free trial.
    Never heard of that one, but I'll check it out. Thanks!
    07-27-2011 04:20 PM
    Bump for the info: Transmac worked like a champ, installed with no problems! Thanks
    07-28-2011 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD