iOS 5 worth it?

rl2k05

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Again, it could be due to the radio firmware being changed in the phone. Direct from the Apple Developer page "Devices updated to iOS 5 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS. Devices will be able to upgrade to future beta releases and the final iOS 5 software.".

Maybe they are lying... no idea but I have no reason to attempt it. Previously it was possible but not by simply restoring in iTunes. There was way more to it than that due to the radio firmware.
Um, not true at all. I had beta 1 on my iphone and downgraded with no problems at all.

hpcomputergeek

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Remember, iOS 5 isn't really stable. It is still in beta right now. :( But the time is just like a normal iOS update. Doesn't take an hour or 2. It took me that long because I was at a hotel. When I do it from home just only 15-25 minutes and the update is done. Remember, register your UDID in a developer account!!!!!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
From what I understand is that apple will stop signing 4.3.3 when either the final beta version is out or the GM build is release. But can't be sure on the exact date they will stop signing.

They will sign it until a few days after the official iOS hits. You cant stop signing 4.3.3 when iOs 5 is not even official.

Apple Crumble

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
For those using iOS5, do you think it is laggy in places etc due to the fact that its a beta or is it that iOS5 is too much for the spec of the iP4?

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I thought the Beta was great for a Beta. However I went back to 4.2.8 w/ a jailbreak. I do miss the notifications in iOS5 though so ill probably keep bouncing back and forth lol.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I had two friends install the beta, both said the improvements and tweaks were nice, but soon reverted back to their original iOS's and jailbreaks. I'm going to wait till the i5 comes out, with a stable and proven jailbreak before I give up my i4.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
to anyone who has went to iOS 5 (beta) and back.. i am curious if, when you went to 5, you restored from a backup or as new device...

i can tell you first handed that i have restored as new with minimal issues to follow. i personally think that due to the beta iTunes being a beta itself has caused issues as well, and here is why. since beta 2 i have restored as new 3 times just prove my theory. the first time was to see if it would eliminate safari from constantly running even though the page appeared to be loaded - fixed. the second time was to see if it would correct an issue with me no longer having the double vibrate when receiving an SMS - fixed. the 3rd and last time was to see if it would improve my battery life. not that it was horrible, but just wanted to see - seems the same. however i am now consistently getting around 6 hours usage and 16-18 hours standby. which is not bad considering all things

moral of my story is; restore as new and maybe even a couple of times

i have been Pure for a little over a week now. yes i have thought a couple of times of going back to 4.3.3 and jailbreaking (AGAIN) but even up until the release of iOS 5 b1 i was only jailbreaking for minimal reasons. so i feel it was time for something new and different. i guess in a way 4.3.3, to me, was getting old and iOS 5 (beta) was a nice change up. of course it comes with a price, no decent jailbreak method (obviously), some apps not working and minimal bugs but i am fine with that. it's not forever

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
When I went to iOS 5 I restored from a backup. I had no issues with the build but just missed Infinidock and speed intensifier alot. I will probably go back to iOS 5 today or tomorrow though to test it out more thoroughly.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody used the iOS5 with the tethered jailbreak? I am tempted to do this, but I have never used a tethered jailbreak before. I know what it entails but is it a pain or no?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
personally, i would not run a tethered JB for a couple of reasons..

some apps/tweaks not completely ready and the other being the minute your device crashes, due to the beta software, you better hope you're near a computer to run a tethered boot or you'll have an expensive paper weight until you can (damn, run-on sentence!)

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
personally, i would not run a tethered JB for a couple of reasons..

some apps/tweaks not completely ready and the other being the minute your device crashes, due to the beta software, you better hope you're near a computer to run a tethered boot or you'll have an expensive paper weight until you can (damn, run-on sentence!)

ok, I am gonna give it a whirl again right now for ****s and giggles lol

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
If you plan on upgrading to a beta on your daily driver I would highly recommend you not go through with it. Once you move up there is no going back down. At least any easy way to do so.

Actually Jeremy you are wrong. Using iTunes 10.5 beta 2, if you restore (without choosing an .ipsw) you will be restored to 4.3.3

I've done this a few times by mistake.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
not sure if it was this thread or another but Jeremy had acknowledged the downgrading thing

also, i wonder if there will be a 4.3.4 coming out soon in wake of combating the PDF exploit

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of taking the plunge to iOS5 ... i'm on a developer account... and idk.. If i can downgrade awesome... I did the same thing with the 3GS when iOS4 came out... have to have the new sh*t..... lol so here goes.. just waiting on beta 2 to finish downloading and I'm going in I think

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73