Will Apple and Microsoft fight over the iOS 5 new feature?

Ashlyn

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I am working on ProCamera ? an iPhone camera app. We lately released an update containing a feature called ?QuickFlick album access? ? people can just gesture to see their photos or videos. Amazingly, Apple announced iOS 5 with exactly the same feature. Shockingly, Microsoft claims to have a patent on it (iOS 5′s Fancy New Camera Trick? Microsoft Has A Patent On It). Any thoughts on whether these two giants will fight when iOS 5 comes out this fall? And what will this mean for our tiny company and others like us?

Ashlyn from ProCamera

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Don't you know? Apple routinely takes ideas that developers create and make it their own. Instapaper (Apple Reader), lockscreen tweaks, reminders....it's all on the wall. Who cares if they fight, that has nothing to do with you.

As for your plight, quit whining and make your product better. Add some functionality that makes your product better than what Apple does. Oh and charge $2.99.

Bionicspyder

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't you know? Apple routinely takes ideas that developers create and make it their own. Instapaper (Apple Reader), lockscreen tweaks, reminders....it's all on the wall. Who cares if they fight, that has nothing to do with you.

As for your plight, quit whining and make your product better. Add some functionality that makes your product better than what Apple does. Oh and charge $2.99.

Nice constructive response to a new member. It's people like you that make new members duck and run. What part of her post was whining?

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Nice constructive response to a new member. It's people like you that make new members duck and run. What part of her post was whining?

That's the way I perceived it. "What am I supposed to do now that the big bad Apple implemented my idea????" is essentially what the post is, as well as the question of Apple vs an MS patent.

I gave them an idea. Make your product better than what Apple did. Make it different, add a twist and charge $2.99. That's what gets you noticed. Something you did that no one else really has thought of. Or better yet, take an existing idea and make it better. Cheers! :D

Last edited:

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I am working on ProCamera ? an iPhone camera app. We lately released an update containing a feature called ?QuickFlick album access? ? people can just gesture to see their photos or videos. Amazingly, Apple announced iOS 5 with exactly the same feature. Shockingly, Microsoft claims to have a patent on it (iOS 5

Ashlyn

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I gave them an idea. Make your product better than what Apple did. Make it different, add a twist and charge $2.99. That's what gets you noticed. Something you did that no one else really has thought of. Or better yet, take an existing idea and make it better. Cheers! :D

Thanks and that's what we are doing right now. I guess we will just wait and see what will happen in the fall.

Ashlyn

Twistedkila

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think it could better your chances seeing how everybody always gets apps that we already have built in. We want better apps and with Apple putting the app out their more people will want an app like yours. Just my 2 cents.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I didn't see any whining. It was a question and a thread to get people curious and talking about it. She's a developer, I'm sure she's being innovative in every way possible. There's a difference between being straight up rude and giving an idea. Take it easy ghostface. As an iPhone guru you think you'd know better.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Since you guys seem to think ghost is being too hard here...what exactly SHOULD be taken from the thread the OP posted? There was every bit the tone to support the idea that she felt attacked by the upgraded features coming in iOS 5, the same tone that has been echoing across the internet with these developers feeling some how "robbed" when the device they develop for upgrades features and renders things they worked on obsolete (since it will now be a stock feature)...and he was brutally honest, make your stuff better or move on, there's really no other way to look at it.

What does it mean for your "tiny company" as you put it? It means you need to step up and make something different that stands out enough to be paid for so that you can make money as a developer...you did it once with iOS 4 obviously, so think of something else, get down to the definition of your title and DEVELOP something new!

What does it mean between Apple and Microsoft? Nothing...that patent is most likely no more a legitimate ground for Microsoft to plan an attack on Apple than Apple's recent patent on touch screens...Microsoft may try something, who knows...they definitely feel the marketing crunch all the other cell phone manufacturers do taking on the iPhone now with their WP7, but the truth is, i think they are smarter than that, they arn't new kids around this neighborhood, and they know Apple has the weight to throw around via their bank account.

Bottom line...patents on this wont amount to any "battle" and if you feel threatened by the development in iOS 5, further your own...that's really all there is to it.

Reactions: BryanTheRed

YoungChrisG#IM

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Her real concern is that if MS files suit it will end up a legitimate claim and force her company and others like her to discontinue a pivotal feature in her app.

As for your concern I wouldn't worry too much being that if it did find it's way into litigation it would be there for so long it won't matter. Then if it ended in favor of MS Apple would pay licensing fees and nothing OS side would be affected.

So fret not and develop on :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods