Setting up iOS 5

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
So I'm thinking of getting the beta and have a question. After updating, can you still restore your data from a backup, or are you forced to set up as a new phone?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
You can restore from back up but it is always recommend that you set up as a new phone since there are so many little things different between the os versions.

anon(4692575)

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The best way to do it if you don't want to lose any data is to sync calendars, contacts, notes, bookmarks etc in iTunes with the respective computer applications or with Google. App data can be backed up with AppBackup in Cydia if you're jailbroken. Just make sure you know how the backups work so you don't end up deleting important app data when restoring!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Ummm...enectrixx? Did you read the original post? AppBackup and Cydia - and jailbreak are moot when you're installing iOS 5.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
wait.. Massie is gonna join the iOS 5 party??? i am beside myself right now..

like others have mentioned it is fine either way. i chose to set up as new phone but i always do. what is it that you are wanting to bring over? maybe now is a good time to "start over"..?

if i know you like i think i do then you have all your info backed up already so why not restore as new and you can always put your saved info on later if needed..

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
wait.. Massie is gonna join the iOS 5 party??? i am beside myself right now..

like others have mentioned it is fine either way. i chose to set up as new phone but i always do. what is it that you are wanting to bring over? maybe now is a good time to "start over"..?

if i know you like i think i do then you have all your info backed up already so why not restore as new and you can always put your saved info on later if needed..

I want to start as new soooo bad :( But I cannot think of losing my progress in Tiny Wings LOL

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Still on the fence a bit mostly because of Quick Compose in biteSMS, but almost all my most used jb tweaks are covered in iOS 5. (Lockscreen theming was a big one but now I'm not so sure I'll want to theme it with the new notification style.) Everything else I can do without, just need to decide...

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i do miss bite A LOT but with every text composed on the native it's becoming 2nd nature and replying to a text with the Notification Center is leaps & bounds improved from the way it used to be

other tweaks i miss are as follows:

iFile, FullScreen for Safari, ScreenDimmer, RemindMeLater and Mywi
(Pandora Hack, shhhh)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess it's good I don't use those...but I will miss Enhanced Tabs and SBSettings, as well as SpringFlash for when I'm trying to get to bed without waking anyone. We'll see!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't think I'll miss Quick Reply at all thanks to the new implementation, just Quick Compose...the thought of having to constantly go to the Messages app to send a first text seems inconceivable after using bite for so long.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
lol it's just something you will get used to, again? i remember when i first picked up my iPhone and how amazing it was.. even the texting process. sometimes i think we jailbreakers get spoiled by some of the awesome apps/tweaks out there, but we will survive haha

i know the Purest of iPhone enthusiasts will be creaming their jeans once they get a hold of iOS 5, but we have been using similar software for a while (e.g. LockInfo)

just do it, you'll get used to it and one day this will all be a memory (even more so if a untethered JB is never achieved!)

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
LMAO!! i did it. i am back on 4.3.3 and jailbroke. iOS 5 is gonna be great but there were too many imperfections, rightfully so, for me

cannot wait for fall!!

LMAO I downgraded too! Spellcheck stopped letting me cancel it, and after 10+ attempts to type "hell" I gave up... back on 4.2.8 XD Now I'm running into problems with iTunes beta not recognizing my Custom restore for my JB... and I can't downgrade my iTunes (gives me crap about not being able to read the library or something).

I was cool with waiting until fall while being JB... but if I have to be Pure... these will be a LONG 3+ months......

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
LMAO I downgraded too! Spellcheck stopped letting me cancel it, and after 10+ attempts to type "hell" I gave up... back on 4.2.8 XD Now I'm running into problems with iTunes beta not recognizing my Custom restore for my JB... and I can't downgrade my iTunes (gives me crap about not being able to read the library or something).

I was cool with waiting until fall while being JB... but if I have to be Pure... these will be a LONG 3+ months......

OMG, SAME!!1!!.. i definitely had the issue with spell check cancelling on top of incorrect typing on the keyboard.. that was the final straw. however, i am not mad, i knew what i was getting into. i am glad that i got see to it first handed and will make the jump again at a later beta or final release

i was getting the iTunes error also so i just put 10.5 back on and did the shift-click-restore and all went well. dont forget to restart your computer after you uninstall/install iTunes. i hope you get it worked out

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods