I am thinking about upgrading to iOS 5 beta 1, and I was wondering what are some drawbacks of it, like bad battery usage, etc.
    06-08-2011 08:42 AM
    It's beta, it can be buggy. You're forced to update to newer betas, some of which can be worse than the previous versions. Your iOS device could be bricked with a bad update. Some apps may not work, you can get a buggy baseband. I'd personally stay away until a later beta, like 4 or above.
    06-08-2011 08:56 AM
    So far I've only ran into one bug, but this is definitely the smoothest beta I've ever used.

I'd definitely recommend upgrading to it if you have a dev account..
    06-08-2011 09:23 AM
    i would as well. not had an issues at all. if the reported not being able to post on facebook works on my end.
    my only thing i have run into is i can set customer ringtones but not select my own custom ones for sms like i could with ringtones.
    06-08-2011 09:34 AM
    So far I've only ran into one bug, but this is definitely the smoothest beta I've ever used.

I'd definitely recommend upgrading to it if you have a dev account..
    I agree, this beta is very well polished, the best I have seen from apple. What bug have you found?
    06-08-2011 11:00 AM
    I agree, this beta is very well polished, the best I have seen from apple. What bug have you found?
    When ending a call, sometimes the screen will go black and never recover/give you the option to go back to the main homescreen.
    06-08-2011 11:43 AM
    I say go for it. I just successfully downgraded back to 4.2.8, so worst case scenario is a bad beta comes along and you have to go back to 4.x for a while, haha. It's incredible, and totally worth it!
    06-08-2011 12:23 PM
    The common suggestion I have been seeing is to only download the beta to a device that isn't you're main device. Maybe if you have an iPhone 4 as your main device but the iPhone 3GS from a prior contract, use your 3GS.
    06-08-2011 12:25 PM
    I have been running it for 2 days already on my main device and I havent really run into any problems....Verizon iPhone 4
    06-08-2011 12:36 PM
    I say go for it. I just successfully downgraded back to 4.2.8, so worst case scenario is a bad beta comes along and you have to go back to 4.x for a while, haha. It's incredible, and totally worth it!
    lolasaurus!, then why did you downgrade??
    06-08-2011 12:45 PM
    When ending a call, sometimes the screen will go black and never recover/give you the option to go back to the main homescreen.
    you make calls on your phone :o
    06-08-2011 12:47 PM
    lolasaurus!, then why did you downgrade??
    LOL! I had to make sure I could... I was getting so nervous, thinking "what if a beta comes out that bricks my device, oh God, I'll have to use my BlackBerry until they fix it... NEVER!!!" so I had to make sure I could I'm already back on 5 with no regrets!
    06-08-2011 01:17 PM
    LOL! I had to make sure I could... I was getting so nervous, thinking "what if a beta comes out that bricks my device, oh God, I'll have to use my BlackBerry until they fix it... NEVER!!!" so I had to make sure I could I'm already back on 5 with no regrets!
    aahhh, gotcha! i thought you were leaving us it is nice to know that it can be done

i love how the notification banners roll at the top of the screen when a message is received while the device is in use
    06-08-2011 01:19 PM
    aahhh, gotcha! i thought you were leaving us it is nice to know that it can be done

i love how the notification banners roll at the top of the screen when a message is received while the device is in use
    Heck yeah! Now that I know we can downgrade I'm super glad I went for it haha! And I love all of the little tweaks! The weeks view in Calendar is SWEET! I love how Reminders works with the Tasks from emails... and how they tweaked some of the default ringtones to be shorter (I'm using Calypso now for texts) and the new font in Notes and the Dictionary and the grid lines in camera and.... the list goes on LOL
    06-08-2011 01:35 PM
    Heck yeah! Now that I know we can downgrade I'm super glad I went for it haha! And I love all of the little tweaks! The weeks view in Calendar is SWEET! I love how Reminders works with the Tasks from emails... and how they tweaked some of the default ringtones to be shorter (I'm using Calypso now for texts) and the new font in Notes and the Dictionary and the grid lines in camera and.... the list goes on LOL
    sometimes i forget you are on VZ. we (at&t) had the shorter tones a while back (4.3??)

i am using Spell for my texts and Calypso for Calendar
    06-08-2011 01:39 PM
    sometimes i forget you are on VZ. we (at&t) had the shorter tones a while back (4.3??)
    ... another Verizon FAIL
    06-08-2011 01:44 PM

i am using Spell for my texts and Calypso for Calendar
    Doh! Don't go THERE!
    06-08-2011 03:12 PM
    ... another Verizon FAIL
    lulz, i am still mad about the Verizon - NFL Mobile app. so i have to dig whenever i can

Doh! Don't go THERE!
    oh yes. i did
    06-08-2011 03:50 PM
    lulz, i am still mad about the Verizon - NFL Mobile app. so i have to dig whenever i can
    Haha! Yeah that app's pretty sweet... though of course, we need to have the NFL in order for us to reap the benefits of it... LOL
    06-08-2011 04:18 PM
    So I just upgraded to iOS 5 and holy sh** its awesome! the beta is more polished then a public release of android OS haha

but I really love the iCloud settings, and I was finally able to get a @me.com email, i've been wanting one for a long time lol.

Overall its pretty good. Notifications
    06-08-2011 04:23 PM
    If you can live with Safari and other apps crashing now and then, go ahead and try it! It isn't nearly as buggy as I thought it would be, but it DOES HAVE BUGS!
    06-08-2011 08:02 PM
    If you can live with Safari and other apps crashing now and then, go ahead and try it! It isn't nearly as buggy as I thought it would be, but it DOES HAVE BUGS!
    Yeah, every time I find a bug I just pull down the notification center and I'm all happy again
    06-08-2011 08:14 PM
    so when you pull down the notification center it unfreezes things?
    06-09-2011 08:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD