Updating to iOS 5 beta 1 - questions

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking about upgrading to iOS 5 beta 1, and I was wondering what are some drawbacks of it, like bad battery usage, etc.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
It's beta, it can be buggy. You're forced to update to newer betas, some of which can be worse than the previous versions. Your iOS device could be bricked with a bad update. Some apps may not work, you can get a buggy baseband. I'd personally stay away until a later beta, like 4 or above.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
So far I've only ran into one bug, but this is definitely the smoothest beta I've ever used.

I'd definitely recommend upgrading to it if you have a dev account..

phinx404

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
i would as well. not had an issues at all. if the reported not being able to post on facebook works on my end.
my only thing i have run into is i can set customer ringtones but not select my own custom ones for sms like i could with ringtones.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
So far I've only ran into one bug, but this is definitely the smoothest beta I've ever used.

I'd definitely recommend upgrading to it if you have a dev account..

I agree, this beta is very well polished, the best I have seen from apple. What bug have you found?

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I say go for it. I just successfully downgraded back to 4.2.8, so worst case scenario is a bad beta comes along and you have to go back to 4.x for a while, haha. It's incredible, and totally worth it!

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The common suggestion I have been seeing is to only download the beta to a device that isn't you're main device. Maybe if you have an iPhone 4 as your main device but the iPhone 3GS from a prior contract, use your 3GS.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I say go for it. I just successfully downgraded back to 4.2.8, so worst case scenario is a bad beta comes along and you have to go back to 4.x for a while, haha. It's incredible, and totally worth it!

lolasaurus!, then why did you downgrade??

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
lolasaurus!, then why did you downgrade??

LOL! I had to make sure I could... I was getting so nervous, thinking "what if a beta comes out that bricks my device, oh God, I'll have to use my BlackBerry until they fix it... :eek: NEVER!!!" so I had to make sure I could :p I'm already back on 5 with no regrets! :D

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
LOL! I had to make sure I could... I was getting so nervous, thinking "what if a beta comes out that bricks my device, oh God, I'll have to use my BlackBerry until they fix it... :eek: NEVER!!!" so I had to make sure I could :p I'm already back on 5 with no regrets! :D

aahhh, gotcha! i thought you were leaving us :) it is nice to know that it can be done

i love how the notification banners roll at the top of the screen when a message is received while the device is in use

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
aahhh, gotcha! i thought you were leaving us :) it is nice to know that it can be done

i love how the notification banners roll at the top of the screen when a message is received while the device is in use

Heck yeah! Now that I know we can downgrade I'm super glad I went for it haha! And I love all of the little tweaks! The weeks view in Calendar is SWEET! I love how Reminders works with the Tasks from emails... and how they tweaked some of the default ringtones to be shorter (I'm using Calypso now for texts) and the new font in Notes and the Dictionary and the grid lines in camera and.... the list goes on LOL

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Heck yeah! Now that I know we can downgrade I'm super glad I went for it haha! And I love all of the little tweaks! The weeks view in Calendar is SWEET! I love how Reminders works with the Tasks from emails... and how they tweaked some of the default ringtones to be shorter (I'm using Calypso now for texts) and the new font in Notes and the Dictionary and the grid lines in camera and.... the list goes on LOL

sometimes i forget you are on VZ. we (at&t) had the shorter tones a while back (4.3??) :D

i am using Spell for my texts and Calypso for Calendar

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
So I just upgraded to iOS 5 and holy sh** its awesome! the beta is more polished then a public release of android OS haha

but I really love the iCloud settings, and I was finally able to get a @me.com email, i've been wanting one for a long time lol.

Overall its pretty good. Notifications :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal