iOS 5 Battery Life

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you using a location-based reminder? Because I think that would drain the battery a lot faster. In fact I can't believe they even added that functionality for this reason. :p

Jello I was thinking the same thing. How in the world are they going to manage battery life with location services enabled all day.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Are you using a location-based reminder? Because I think that would drain the battery a lot faster. In fact I can't believe they even added that functionality for this reason. :p

not yet and i agree, i would also think that it could be a possible battery drainer. how can it not? i am wondering if this runs in the background even when a reminder is not set...

also, everyone, not sure if this really worked with 4.3.x but i turned off Ping in my Restrictions

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
not yet and i agree, i would also think that it could be a possible battery drainer. how can it not? i am wondering if this runs in the background even when a reminder is not set...

also, everyone, not sure if this really worked with 4.3.x but i turned off Ping in my Restrictions

I noticed that when you set a geo fence the location icon in the status bar stays on.

dsjr2006

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't seem anywhere near as good as 4.3.3 for me, but I also have 4 email accounts pushing and I've been using it a whole lot more than I was before.

anon(4692575)

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
For me it's not that bad, but I've only tried iOS 5 on my iPod Touch. Sure it's a little worse but not really an issue as long as it's not your main device.

dsjr2006

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Jello I was thinking the same thing. How in the world are they going to manage battery life with location services enabled all day.

I'm thinking they use cell tower positioning and Wifi to determine since they use much less power than GPS, especially since they don't require more than a couple seconds to obtain a location.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I was never on 4.3.3 to test it. i did get a new iPhone yesterday and it was on 4.3.3, but I put iOS5 right on it.

Battery not looking too good for me. Might need a fresh start... just need info how and if the iCloud works in beta.

ARdYS_OCMAEiYIs.jpg

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I was never on 4.3.3 to test it. i did get a new iPhone yesterday and it was on 4.3.3, but I put iOS5 right on it.

Battery not looking too good for me. Might need a fresh start... just need info how and if the iCloud works in beta.

ARdYS_OCMAEiYIs.jpg

OUCH! Mine is bad, but not that bad... I did charge it this afternoon because I know I was going to be out for a while this evening... and I'm back down to 57% in the last 6 hours... mostly been twitter and email and in stand-by... I'm ready for Beta 2 and better battery life...

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know how they are going to get around the location based reminders killing battery life, which is too bad because I think it's a awesome feature..

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I don't know how they are going to get around the location based reminders killing battery life, which is too bad because I think it's a awesome feature..

good point. i have no intention of using it until the final release and then i will make a determination if i will ever use it

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
good point. i have no intention of using it until the final release and then i will make a determination if i will ever use it

I think it's something that is incredibly useful, I didn't even think about it draining the battery until someone mentioned it, I can't imagine Apple releasing this as one of their big features and it being a battery hog though. I guess we'll have to wait and see after some people have tested it for awhile. I'm always forgetting stuff so I'd use it even if it drained the battery!

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
yea I love that weather uses location, but not that it uses more battery :( so far it looks like the battery usage is the same on my iPhone 3gs as in 4.3.3

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
it's funny what we are willing to sacrifice to save a little bit of battery life..

my theory is to just get rid of the items YOU will never use and enjoy the ones YOU like. for now until the final release, keep a charger nearby, you know.. android style :D

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Even with a bunch of notifications turned on I really haven't had that much of a difference in battery life. I'm still easily making it through the day and I'm a fairly heavy user. Maybe I just got lucky? :D

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Even with a bunch of notifications turned on I really haven't had that much of a difference in battery life. I'm still easily making it through the day and I'm a fairly heavy user. Maybe I just got lucky? :D

same here. not too much to complain about, for a beta

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit