I'm new to the iPhone community and was wondering how long the delay is from Apple announcing the next interation of iOS and when it is actually available for download.

Also, I have the Verizon iPhone, any prediction on how long it will take us folks to get the update or if it will be simultaneous with AT&T.

Thanks in advance.
    06-05-2011 05:12 PM
    Will be released at the same time for both devices. And they usually launch the beta for developers first. Not sure but remember is 4 taking 6 weeks I believe from the first beta to release.
    applefanboi likes this.
    06-05-2011 05:35 PM
    Dang! That's a really long time.
    06-05-2011 05:41 PM
    If you really think that's a long time... think of it this way... RIM has been making BB's for what 15 years or more ? They are just now talking about their OS 7 .... we are talking about iOS 5 in just 5 years... be thankful apple ups their OS every year to have more features and make their product better... so consider the alternative lol
    06-05-2011 06:23 PM
    Dang! That's a really long time.
    Not really. Basically we'd have it next month.
    06-05-2011 06:59 PM
    Well waiting means the apps will work with the iOS that's the point of a beta.
    06-05-2011 07:58 PM
    We may see the first beta be seeded tomorrow. Though I would not recommend anyone install it unless you have another device you can use for a full time phone.
    06-05-2011 08:07 PM
    Do you think they would release iOS 5 before the iPhone 5? Would it not seem more likely to ship iOS 5 with the new iPhone 5 and at that same time make it available for the previous iPhone(s)? Just wondering!
    beastcmg likes this.
    06-06-2011 12:56 AM
    I do think that they would release iOS 5 before iPhone 5, and that seems to be what everyone is expecting with the way Apple is talking leading up to WWDC.

Now it would seem likely to wait until the iPhone 5 for the new OS, but if that's going to be something still for down the road, then the OS release is a good idea. The iPhone 4 is still a great device.
    06-06-2011 01:06 AM
    Do you think they would release iOS 5 before the iPhone 5? Would it not seem more likely to ship iOS 5 with the new iPhone 5 and at that same time make it available for the previous iPhone(s)? Just wondering!
    I think it's possible, but not likely. Apple will have to release new hardware to stay competitive with Android. Android is already eating up their market share at a rapid pace.
    06-06-2011 09:31 AM
    It is not happening. Beta will be the only thing until new hardware is released.
    06-06-2011 09:34 AM
    I'm surprised you guys think iOS 5 wouldn't be released until the iPhone 5 is close to release. If the iPhone 5 (or 4S) is released by September, I'd expect iOS 5 way before. At least around the end of July.
    06-06-2011 10:32 AM
    I'm surprised you guys think iOS 5 wouldn't be released until the iPhone 5 is close to release. If the iPhone 5 (or 4S) is released by September, I'd expect iOS 5 way before. At least around the end of July.
    Well, based upon historical facts, all new major releases are available with new hardware. Now we know Apple isn't going to release hardware until the fall and there isn't even a guarantee a beta will be available to devs today. Especially if iOS 5.0 crash logs are just now starting to be seen.

iOS beta cycles usually last 6-8 weeks.
    06-06-2011 10:47 AM
    Hell, I'm just happy that they announced that the 3gs is going to be supported. My 3gs is almost at end of life (Jan2012) and i didn't want to wait til then to run the new IOS.
    06-06-2011 03:26 PM
    Either way, fall will be here before you know it.
    06-06-2011 04:00 PM
    Umm..no. Apple wouldn't waste the marketing opportunity iOS 5 will give a new device.
    06-06-2011 04:24 PM
    RIP RIM with this new IOS 5...more people will continue to flock away from RIM especially with the state of no devices coming out soon...I luv RIM alot but I truly feel they are toast...
    06-06-2011 04:32 PM
    Hell, I'm just happy that they announced that the 3gs is going to be supported. My 3gs is almost at end of life (Jan2012) and i didn't want to wait til then to run the new IOS.
    I was happy about that as well haha
    06-06-2011 04:43 PM
    Either way, fall will be here before you know it.
    Yeah, but I wanted to be happy under the California sun this summer with iOS 5
    06-06-2011 06:17 PM
    I also love the keyboard shortcuts. I always missed the autotext feature of BB's.
    06-06-2011 06:33 PM
    Maybe I am missing something here, but IOS 5 released this fall? Why give the competition a preview or a heads up?
    06-07-2011 06:57 AM
    Maybe I am missing something here, but IOS 5 released this fall? Why give the competition a preview or a heads up?
    it does nothing for the competition because it's all stuff the competition already has that is new to only iOS or it's something the competition has already rolled out ie. Music Locker. The reason they showed it is because there was no hardware(iPhone 5) so this gets people with iPhone 4 excited and willing to stick with the hardware instead of going to the bajillions of Android devices that will be out by the release of iPhone 5.
    06-07-2011 07:10 AM
    RIP RIM with this new IOS 5...more people will continue to flock away from RIM especially with the state of no devices coming out soon...I luv RIM alot but I truly feel they are toast...
    lol people have been saying they were toast before that company even got started. So I don't know if I would count them out just yet.
    06-07-2011 07:14 AM
    RIM still has email security features that are unique and attractive for corporate users. They will continue to serve an ever-shrinking niche.

Also, Apple releases the preview so the devs can develop for iOS 5. It ensures that when the OS is released for public consumption, all apps work and can take advantage of the new features/APIs.
    06-07-2011 07:19 AM
    it does nothing for the competition because it's all stuff the competition already has that is new to only iOS or it's something the competition has already rolled out ie. Music Locker. The reason they showed it is because there was no hardware(iPhone 5) so this gets people with iPhone 4 excited and willing to stick with the hardware instead of going to the bajillions of Android devices that will be out by the release of iPhone 5.
    An iphone 5 will be coming when iOS 5 is out of beta. Will there really be a "bajillion" android devices released in the next 3 months or so?

Apple showed off iOS 5 now because they have no choice. It has to go out in beta first.

They'll have an announcement in Aug/Sep previewing iphone 5. We won't get iOS 5 til the iphone 5 goes on sale. I also look for a few new exclusive features just for the new hardware.
    06-07-2011 10:50 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD