Rumor: iPhone 3GS Won?t Get iOS 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It doesnt suprise me. The 3G is no longer getting OS updates and it had major issues with early versions of 4.0 and Im guessing to lack of RAM.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
It matters not, dear friends! The iPhone 5 or 4S or whatever is right around the quarter and I am upgrading. :)

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Not surprising. The 3GS does a horrible job with Spotlight, you basically have to keep turning it off to get your RAM performance back to iOS 4 'Normal'. I don't mind upgrading but I don't like how people are ' forced ' to get a new iPhone is they want to continue upgrading the OS.

I own an iMac from 2008 and there's absolutely nothing that would make me want to get a new computer after less than 3 years. I mean, what does that say about the iPhone hardware ? That it usually lasts about 2 years before it's no good ?

AT&T is still selling iPhone 3GS and Apple should continue to offer some kind of updates instead of cutting it off completely. They're smart people, they can do it but may they ....

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The 3GS is a two year old phone with an older processor and a significantly smaller amount of RAM than the iPhone 4. Apple will not release an OS upgrade unless it meets certain quality standards, period.

Unfortunately, the rate at which cell-phones evolve will mean that your phone is outdated within 12-18 months. Mac OS does not support certain older macs as well. It's just the nature of the beast.

Apple is not going to do something that is "smart" for 3GS owners. They will do the most cost-effective thing.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
No reason to stop advancing the iPhone because a tiny minority would be upset their 2+ year old phones can't run the latest software. Get a new phone or enjoy 4.0..

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Well now, seeing as how the 3GS will support iOS 5, I'm hoping to upgrade since I have a j/b and unlocked iPhone 3GS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR