Apple to push OTA firmware updates with iOS 5?

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So, as it is being reported on the main page of this site, Apple is apparently setting up to begin pushing minor firmware updates to iPhones over the air with iOS5. My question is, what will this do to the jailbreaking community? If we are forced to receive these updates on Apple's schedule and not ours, this could kill the ability to keep a jailbroken phone. Hopefully, Apple will allow users to opt out of automatic updates if they choose to go this route.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i was wondering the same thing. IF Apple forces users to update this would be a very ingenious way to fight against the jailbreak scene..

of course i would expect a combative move by the Dev Team or someone to keep the Jailbreak alive

well see, i guess

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
IF it follows the other platform OTA update procedures, the user will get a notification of an update availability, and be given the choice of updating, or not.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that it would be like the Android community where you are given the choice of downloading the updates. Like their community, I would imagine that someone will find the file that controls this, and how to suppress it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Like they said already the update wouldn't just update it would have to prompt you first. I think this is such a small thing I don't even know what the big deal everyone is making about it. Who cares about OTA updates, give me OTA sync damn it now we would be talking. The problems with OTA updates is that it gives the carriers a little too much control over the updates. If you want to know how much of a nightmare that is ask a WP7 user on AT&T waiting for a year to get an update. I'm just not sure about the idea, Apple's updates are usually pretty huge so does this mean they will be only sending out patches now instead of a full blown OS. Also with other platforms that have OTA updates does it count on your data plan or does the carrier eat the cost? I'm sure the update will still be available through iTunes anyway for the people who don't have data on their phones or who don't want to do it OTA. IMO it's such a non issue, they should have been working on OTA sync now that would get the boat rocking.

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't see apple taking away the ability to restore the phone with itunes, therefore it shouldn't hurt jailbreaking much if at all.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If something like this does come true, I just home Apple will make this optional for each individual. I never update my iPhone 4 unless I really need to, or there is a feature that I think might be helpful. Right now I'm still running iOS 4.3.1 with no plans to update any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2