Do you typically type in portrait or landscape mode?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While using your iPhone, do you typically type in portrait or landscape mode? I typically type in portrait mode, but on occasions I will switch to landscape. What about you?

mbar9607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
While using your iPhone, do you typically type in portrait or landscape mode? I typically type in portrait mode, but on occasions I will switch to landscape. What about you?

Same and I also find myself sometimes using swype and sometimes not.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I would say that 98% of the time when I’m typing on my iPhone, I do so in portrait mode. However, whenI type on my iPad, I type in landscape mode all the time.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Portrait 99% of the time on my 11 Pro.

On my iPad Pro 12.9, the keyboard is almost always attached, but when it’s not, I usually find myself continuing to type in landscape. More due to the fact that the device is usually in landscape orientation, but if I find myself using the iPad in portrait orientation, I have no trouble typing in portrait (and won’t switch orientation just for typing sake)

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Portrait mode here. I always found landscape inconvenient for anything that isn't photo or video.

The only moment you'll see me typing in landscape mode is if the app/site I'm using either doesn't support portrait mode (extremely rare) or suffered a bug causing it to work in landscape mode only.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Portrait, I have just tried Landscape again and I have to do that one finger only, I can’t reach t y g h or b n with my thumbs without moving the screen.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
The majority of the time I type in portrait mode on my phone, whereas I tend to use landscape mode when typing on my iPads.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The majority of the time I type in portrait mode on my phone, whereas I tend to use landscape mode when typing on my iPads.

Isn't it weird that it's easier to type in landscape mode on an iPad than on an iPhone?

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Isn't it weird that it's easier to type in landscape mode on an iPad than on an iPhone?

I suppose it is, but maybe it is because we often rest an iPad on a table and it seems more natural to use the keyboard horizontally as with a computer. When using a phone usually we are simply holding it. Just a suggestion.