Is the casting audio option going to be part of the default podcast app anytime soon?

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I have always just used PocketCast, so when I tried to cast from the default podcast app, I was shocked that it wasn't even an option to share to my Google home.

Is there a reason they are avoiding that particular function?

Thanks!

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have always just used PocketCast, so when I tried to cast from the default podcast app, I was shocked that it wasn't even an option to share to my Google home.

Thanks!

Do you mean “AirPlay”? The device you are AirPlay streaming to needs to be an AirPlay compatible device.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I'm specifically talking about the casting option. If I am in pocketcast and I hit cast, all of my Google home speakers and other speakers in my house show up I can tap on them, and the audio instantly goes to that speaker. If I open up the default podcast app on the same iPhone, my only option is to airplay and I don't have any AirPlay devices.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
If you want to use the default Podcasts app, your options are pretty much Airplay or Bluetooth.

I have no experience with Google devices, so I can’t say if they work with Bluetooth.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm specifically talking about the casting option. If I am in pocketcast and I hit cast, all of my Google home speakers and other speakers in my house show up I can tap on them, and the audio instantly goes to that speaker. If I open up the default podcast app on the same iPhone, my only option is to airplay and I don't have any AirPlay devices.

Apple doesn’t natively support Google Chrome cast with any of it’s native iOS apps. You will need to use a 3rd party podcast app that supports Google Chrome cast.

I sometimes use Plex to share stuff to my friend’s Google Chrome cast dongle hooked upon to his TV. Plex supports all kinds of media including podcasts.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

It’s not very likely that iOS will ever natively support Google’s proprietary protocols. The only way I see it happening is if there is an antitrust court ruling in the future that forces Apple to allow this, or allow voice assistants like Alexa or Google Assistant.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711