what's the expected behavior with the mute switch for alarms?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
For the longest time I have been running with the mute switch on all the time after noticing alarms would still play at whatever the "Ringer" volume was set to with "change with buttons" switched to on in "sound and haptics" in the Settings. I noticed randomly on iOS 12 and now 13 that if I snooze an alarm 1-2 times when it goes to play again I'll have overslept because it's going off silently. I don't know if it's a change in behavior with the mute switch or if it's more that because I have two alarms set 10 minutes apart they're interfering with each other if both try to go off at once somehow. Anyone have any input? Obviously I can just go back to turning the switch off and see if that fixes it. I think it started when I randomly forgot to turn it off after getting home from work and noticed it didn't affect alarms. So I started just leaving it muted since during the day I'll get notifications on my Watch or originally my FitBit that a call etc. was coming in.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you left feedback with Apple regarding this matter? If not, do so and see what they tell you.

As for me, I don’t ever use the snooze option. I’m typically awake before the alarm goes off and on the few occasions I’m not, I will **** off the alarm after it sounds and then immediately get out of bed and jump in the shower. I’ve been that way for what seems like forever....

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Have you left feedback with Apple regarding this matter? If not, do so and see what they tell you.

As for me, I don’t ever use the snooze option. I’m typically awake before the alarm goes off and on the few occasions I’m not, I will **** off the alarm after it sounds and then immediately get out of bed and jump in the shower. I’ve been that way for what seems like forever....

Yeah I'm the guy that hits snooze 5 times first lol. Ugh. Well I also noticed this afternoon that somehow the ringer was all the way down. Now I wonder if this is some ongoing random bug with maybe Do Not Disturb mode not setting the ringer back after scheduled DND times if the mute switch is on. Going to try going back to no mute switch at home and see if this happens again I guess. Oh and no I didn't give Apple any feedback. Not really sure where I would do that? I'm not on a beta right now.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Why use the Mute switch when you can schedule DND and the alarm won’t be effected

I use both - I have the mute switch on 24x7. (However, I use alarms on my watch, not the iPhone.)

However, count me in on the no snooze camp. Snooze is ridiculous. Why wake yourself up with an alarm before you have to wake up? It's far better for your health to get as much sleep as you can.Set the alarm for the time that you must be up and get yourself up when the alarm goes off.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

Well trained!! ( I think I know where )

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Well, it's apparently not the mute switch causing the issue. It did it again today. I think it must be some conflict with have more than one alarm set with snooze enabled.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I try to keep things like that as simple as I possibly can, fully realizing that when dealing with a ringing alarm I'm in 'personal twilight' and can't trust brain or fingers to obey the easiest of commands or logic. One of my half dozen or so alarms being active at a time is about all I can cope with

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Ring/Silent switch doesn't affect alarms. That's why it's not actually a "mute" switch, as it doesn't mute everything. The interval between the alarm and snooze is 9 minutes. So maybe 10 wasn't enough. I've set alarms close together with no issues. But usually set them 15 minutes apart.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I finally figured out what's going on, but I don't know what's causing it. Something keeps lowering my ringer volume (not me). Since the alarm volume is tied to the ringer volume, well, yeah.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Under Sounds, has your ringer been set to "Change with buttons"? You may be inadvertently changing the volume.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Under Sounds, has your ringer been set to "Change with buttons"? You may be inadvertently changing the volume.

Yeah it's set like that, but 97% sure it's not me changing it. I pretty much only touch the volume if I'm watching something that needs it which is almost never on my phone and I usually have headphones plugged in at that point. Going to have to start checking it when I go to bed and see if something is changing it somehow overnight lol.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's set like that, but 97% sure it's not me changing it.

Any chance that the volume buttons are being pressed while the phone is in your pocket or something like that?

One of the first things I change when I set up a phone from new is to turn off change ringer volume with buttons. I don't want it to ever change from where I set it.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Any chance that the volume buttons are being pressed while the phone is in your pocket or something like that?

One of the first things I change when I set up a phone from new is to turn off change ringer volume with buttons. I don't want it to ever change from where I set it.

Not likely, it's in a Mous Limitless 3.0 which has buttons that while not stiff, you definitely have to actively push them.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I just thought it was me. I was wondering why after I snooze a couple times (maybe only once even, obviously during this state is not when I do my best thinking) would my alarm just be vibrating and not making any sound. I do not have mine set to change with buttons. Luckily my wife wakes me up at a certain point, so its never been a problem of not waking up.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711