What are the best battery practices?

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I would say simply avoid deep discharges ie try to keep battery in the 'top half' of the spectrum. Also avoid 'fast charging' as much as possible but many car chargers are quick charge thus IF you can avoid that it will be wise. If properly maintained, seeing 100% Battery Health for at least a year isn't unrealistic.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Your phone is less than 1 month old. If it was NOT 100% battery health, I would be taking it into Apple for a replacement.

I have a 2 year old 256GB iPhone 8 Plus that is still at 100% battery health. My daughter has an iPhone 6 plus that is at 90%. I have a 7 year old iPod Touch 4 that still works fine. I have an iPhone 5 that still works fine. I have a 13 year old Dell DJ MP3 player that still works fine, but was never used too much.

The best thing for battery life is to not use it for 15 hours a day, every day. Battery life is measured in terms of discharge/charge cycles. Not age.

As others have said, don't worry about it. It is cheap to get a battery replacement at an Apple store.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I would say simply avoid deep discharges ie try to keep battery in the 'top half' of the spectrum. Also avoid 'fast charging' as much as possible but many car chargers are quick charge thus IF you can avoid that it will be wise. If properly maintained, seeing 100% Battery Health for at least a year isn't unrealistic.

Unfortunately I was trying to make it through the workday yesterday with only 30%. I had to use my hotspot for a few minutes yesterday morning. During the day it discharged. I do not do this on a regular basis . do you think it’s OK every once in a while? I know these batteries do not have memory but I’m trying to limit my days between charges

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
do you think it’s OK every once in a while?

Yes, it's fine. Seriously, the best advice is to use your phone, charge when you can, and not worry too much about it. Try to avoid situations like extreme cold or bright sunlight on a hot, summer day, but, use the phone as you must and there's really not much else (besides extreme temps and not deep discharging the battery to the point where the phone shuts down from lack of battery) that you can do. The more you use it, the faster that battery health will decline - it's a factor more of charging cycles than anything else.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Since my Palm Treo, Then 2 Blackberries, then 4 iPhones, I have always charged every night, overnight, as well as in the day if or when needed. I have only had battery related issues on 1 iPhone ( 6) where the battery was troublesome right from the get-go, ie new, then finally swelled ( 2 years later) The swelling was discovered in the switch to a 7Plus. We do not have Apple Stores or Genius Bars, and only 2 'Authorized Resellers' so the cradle of support is quite thin which is understandable in a smaller market. Since early this year, the iShop ( our authorized reseller) has done battery replacements for reasonable price & time frame ($70 US and 'while you wait -if you have an appointment) so if and when needed it's there. But charging overnight, all night has never compromised anything. Our use is moderate and charging (now QI) - never 'quick charge' but for overnight that's simply a non-issue

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
OP, just charge when you need to and enjoy your iPhone.

I agree too! Paying as much money as we do for these devices, and then not using them because we're worried about battery life just doesn't make a lot of sense! Relax and use it and enjoy it!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The best battery practice is to not worry about battery. It doesn't matter much how you do it. You'll see all kinds of suggestions. Pick one that works for you. I'm retired, and when mine gets down to 50%, on to charge it goes. Regardless of how you do it, the number of charge cycles comes out the same.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The best battery practice is to not worry about battery. It doesn't matter much how you do it. You'll see all kinds of suggestions. Pick one that works for you. I'm retired, and when mine gets down to 50%, on to charge it goes. Regardless of how you do it, the number of charge cycles comes out the same.

I was wondering what happened to my optimized battery thread. I now realized the best practice it’s to charge it when you want and not worry about optimize battery?? it doesn’t really matter around what time you charge it for optimized battery to work. even if you leave your iPhone off the charger for a few days it’ll be OK??

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I was wondering what happened to my optimized battery thread. I now realized the best practice it’s to charge it when you want and not worry about optimize battery?? it doesn’t really matter around what time you charge it for optimized battery to work. even if you leave your iPhone off the charger for a few days it’ll be OK??

It will take some time for the operating system to learn your charging habits. Just enjoy your phone.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
For a long time now I have avoided fully charging my phone. It seems that with the new Optimized Charging, I must have been doing something right.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Just use your phone. Don't worry about your battery. Charge when you see fit whether it's at 80% or at 20%. Only used certified and approved chargers from known retailers.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just use your phone. Don't worry about your battery. Charge when you see fit whether it's at 80% or at 20%. Only used certified and approved chargers from known retailers.

Amen. Just use your phone and enjoy it. You can always replace the battery if needed in the future.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2