Different keyboard on iPhone 11

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I got my new iPhone 11 last Thursday. I’m still getting used to the new layout of the keyboard versus the iPhone 7. In my opinion could they make the keyboard a bit bigger? (what do you think?) I have also noticed when you have your phone in your pocket the flashlight button gets hit & turns on. Any suggestions on that one?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I can't really speak on the size of the iPhone 11 keyboard, but the keyboard on the Pro Max is plenty big enough. Not sure what's going on with your flashlight coming on in your pocket, it doesn't just come on as it has to be a direct press and held with a click. Maybe change your dedicated iPhone pocket or get a belt clip?

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I’ve used a Third party keyboard ( SwiftKey) since my iPhone 6 quite a few years ago as I have found it more responsive & customizable than the  keyboard. There are many options and themes one can select.
Re the flashlight , ensure that the power button gets a ‘light tap’ to put the phone to ‘sleep’ before pocketing it. Unfortunately though , ‘Raise to Wake’ then ‘control center ‘ can easily allow flashlight to be ‘pocket activated’ inadvertently. Not possible in all climates and environments and cultures I realize but I personally always wear cargo type shorts with big ‘lower pockets’ each side. The ordinary pockets are for wallet one side , keys the other , leaving me the lower pocket of choice for phone. My shirt-jacs also have 4 pockets ( some call them ‘Guyabera’ shirts. ) I simply say ‘Caribbean Battle-dress’

Last edited:

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Wonder why Apple would make it easier to access the flashlight on the home screen on the 11 versus the 7 being in control center

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Wonder why Apple would make it easier to access the flashlight on the home screen on the 11 versus the 7 being in control center

I'm still on an iPhone 8+ and my flashlight can only be accessed via the control center. I'm wondering if you possibly had a flashlight app installed on your 7?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

The flashlight is not on the Homescreen, it’s on the lockscreen.
I haven’t heard from others that they accidentally turned on their flashlight, though.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Design change? I actually like this feature and have gotten use to it since my Xs Max. I just finished "experimenting" with the possible ease of being activated and without actually pressing and holding it does not activate. I really don't think it comes on that easily. I currently have my screen on "raise to wake", and once again it takes more than my finger going over the icon to turn on, I have to press and hold to activate.
When the light is on the icon also changes color letting you know it's activated.
ecb8ab05afbc796cf89f80c6d2ec8ff0.jpg

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like the newer designs (like yours & the op’s) are actually better. On my 8Plus , ‘raise to wake’ can easily activate a sleeping phone , then a gentle swipe can bring up control center , and a soft tap, not a distinct push ‘ will turn on the flashlight. A hard push will select intensity. It’s probably an unlikely sequence and combination of events , but Murphy could activate some features on my phone if anything else shared my pocket.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Design change? I actually like this feature and have gotten use to it since my Xs Max. I just finished "experimenting" with the possible ease of being activated and without actually pressing and holding it does not activate. I really don't think it comes on that easily. I currently have my screen on "raise to wake", and once again it takes more than my finger going over the icon to turn on, I have to press and hold to activate.
When the light is on the icon also changes color letting you know it's activated.
ecb8ab05afbc796cf89f80c6d2ec8ff0.jpg

That’s awesome! I would love to have that feature! Accessing it through the control center is not that big of a deal but my gosh to be able to get it directly from the lock screen would be so amazing!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

That was changed with iOS 11 and the iPhone X - it's a deliberate design change for the FaceID phones. Before the Xr, you needed to 3D Touch the button to turn on the flashlight. Now, with the Xr and the 11 series of phones not having 3D Touch, they changed it to long touch/haptic touch/whatever they call it.

Why the change? My speculation (but this is just a guess) - on home button based iPhones, the control center was accessed with a swipe up from the bottom - easy to do one-handed with any iPhone. With the FaceID phones, the control center is moved to the upper right, hard to do one-handed for people with even the smallest FaceID phones (iPhone X / Xs / 11 Pro). So, they added the control so you could still one-handed turn on the flashlight.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Go to settings>accessibility>touch and turn off “tap to wake”. Problem solved. To wake your screen you can raise your phone or press the side button.

The iPhone 7 didn’t have the 120Hz screen layer that allowed for Tap to Wake. The iPhone XR and 11 does have it.

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
That’s awesome! I would love to have that feature! Accessing it through the control center is not that big of a deal but my gosh to be able to get it directly from the lock screen would be so amazing!

It is a great feature but you can also ask Siri to turn on the flashlight as well as turn it off

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234