Does anyone’s “Find My” app work properly?

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone’s find me app work properly? How do you refresh devices location without force closing and re opening.

This is driving me crazy. My son just got his driving license and I use it to keep and eye on him. But I open the app and it tells me where he was an hour about. Who the hell cares about that. Where is he now ?

It is also very slow to update when I re open the app

Forgot to mention. iPhone 11 Pro Max running 13.2. But this problem has been around since the 13

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: ? About the Find My app

I've experienced what you've described from time to time. I'm not sure why, but it does eventually update (in a few seconds). I have found that when I'm on the main page, it seems a bit slow in updating all my friends. Yet, when I tap on a specific person, that speeds it up a bit.

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

I guess it just needs some tweaking to work better. Frustrating but not a huge deal.

I can understand 3rd party apps having issues with a new iOS but stock apps? It’s just gps.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

My dad was on a road trip and I’ve been able to follow him on Find My without issues.
Sometimes it took a little longer to pinpoint his location, but that can be because his cellular connection was slow.
Anyway, as long as you remember that Find My is an indication of a location and not an exact science, you won’t be disappointed.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

Seems to be working fine for me. Occasionally it does get “stuck” but it always has. When that happens I tap on the specific person and it updates.

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

Problem I have is when it tells me where he was 2 hours ago. After it’s been in the background for 2 hours. It never updates until I fc the app. Find my
friends never did this. Something is buggy

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

Anyway, as long as you remember that Find My is an indication of a location and not an exact science, you won’t be disappointed.

Kinda lost me there. Of course Find My is an indication of a location. It should be an accurate indication.

Never had this problem with iOS 12 on my xr. Happened as soon as find my friends was updated to find my. iOS 13 still has significant bugs that affect normal phone use. Hopefully it’s gets ironed out soon.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Kinda lost me there. Of course Find My is an indication of a location. It should be an accurate indication.

Never had this problem with iOS 12 on my xr. Happened as soon as find my friends was updated to find my. iOS 13 still has significant bugs that affect normal phone use. Hopefully it’s gets ironed out soon.

That’s just it. It’s quite accurate on multiple devices in my family.
Maybe it’s because I’m in The Netherlands and we are connected to other GPS/Glonas/Galileo satellites as people in the Americas are.

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

It is very accurate when it updates. My problem is the lack of updating until I fc the app and re start it.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

Not the icon, their name, under “People.”
176c7bdd075e36c14278594d5eb67ba0.jpg

Or are you saying it won’t update after you do that?

It auto updates, you shouldn’t have to refresh. That “Now” icon took a couple of seconds to load after “locating.” Do you get the “locating” status? Are you sure he’s not turning it off temporarily? My daughter will sometimes do this if her battery is dying.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Not the icon, their name, under “People.”
176c7bdd075e36c14278594d5eb67ba0.jpg

Or are you saying it won’t update after you do that?

It auto updates, you shouldn’t have to refresh. That “Now” icon took a couple of seconds to load after “locating.” Do you get the “locating” status? Are you sure he’s not turning it off temporarily? My daughter will sometimes do this if her battery is dying.

That’s a good point!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Mine’s working fine for me, the wife, son and father in law. iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13.1.2.

However, if it’s that much of a concern then you might want to look into a GPS tracking unit.

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Both kids are busy today. I’ll play around and see if I can work it out.

No reason to get a gps tracker. He a new driver and just to keep an eye on him.

Wonder if I’m doing something wrong. Hmmmmm

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone’s find me app work properly? How do you refresh devices location without force closing and re opening.

This is driving me crazy. My son just got his driving license and I use it to keep and eye on him. But I open the app and it tells me where he was an hour about. Who the hell cares about that. Where is he now ?

It is also very slow to update when I re open the app

Forgot to mention. iPhone 11 Pro Max running 13.2. But this problem has been around since the 13

I haven’t used the new Find My app, but with the original version, the tracking was in real time and auto-refreshed. I used it all the tome when family members would be traveling to my location from out of state. I recall times when someone would be in a bad reception area that the app would only show the last known location until a gps signal could be reacquired.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I haven’t used the new Find My app, but with the original version, the tracking was in real time and auto-refreshed. I used it all the tome when family members would be traveling to my location from out of state. I recall times when someone would be in a bad reception area that the app would only show the last known location until a gps signal could be reacquired.

Well I’m iOS 12 you could manually refresh. In 13 it “auto refreshes”.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods