The “Silence Unknown Callers” feature

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have a question about the silencing unknown callers. Can the caller leave a voicemail message? Im concerned about missing valid calls.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Because you’re basically cutting off all calls except from people you know.
What if it really is important yet they are not in your favorites? I know it goes to voicemail but I might miss that.
Am I looking at it wrong?

Yeah, but that’s the purpose of the feature - to silence unknown callers. They still can leave a voicemail so if it’s important enough, they’ll leave a voicemail for you. There’s no way for a feature to determine which unknown caller will be useful to you - at least not in my opinion.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, but that’s the purpose of the feature - to silence unknown callers. They still can leave a voicemail so if it’s important enough, they’ll leave a voicemail for you. There’s no way for a feature to determine which unknown caller will be useful to you - at least not in my opinion.

Ok, I’m going to give it a try to test it out.
I’m warning you though, if they try to call me to tell me I won the lottery and I miss it I’m coming after you!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I’m going to give it a try to test it out.
I’m warning you though, if they try to call me to tell me I won the lottery and I miss it I’m coming after you!

(Laughing)....heck, I’d be ticked about that, too...

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It's working really well. I've missed a few calls... one from Door Dash just now. I got a notification that I had missed a call. I recognized the area code and knew immediately it was Door Dash. I tapped the notification and called the number right back. So you won't miss calls... you just won't be bothered by them!

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
If you get spam texts or voicemail, find out how to forward spam to your carrier. Then, forward all spam messages, along with the sending phone number. It works.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Is this feature silencing calls from unknown callers as in their numbers are blocked? In other words, I've seen calls come through were the caller ID reads, "Unknown" because the number can't be identified.

This isn't the same as getting a call from a phone number I don't know.

So is this silencing calls from callers where no phone number information is available or is it silencing calls from any number that isn't in your contacts?

I'd like the former....not so much the latter.

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
Genuinely unidentified numbers should be blocked anyway. This is so users aren't constantly interrupted by sales, robo-, and other nuisance calls.