Switching to new phone on iOS 13 — different process now?

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I recall reading somewhere (but can’t seem to find it now) that with iOS 13 and the changes/demise of iTunes as we know it that upgrading to a new phone/device will be improved and will work more like restoring from an encrypted backup from iTunes than before.

Is that correct?

Typically, when I get a new device, I unpair my watch from the phone, do an encrypted backup to iTunes on my Mac and then restore data to the new device from there, finally repairing the phone.

Is that how it will still work or will the process be different now with the new iOS and iTunes situation?

I strongly prefer the encrypted backup route to a regular iCloud restore to the new device, since when I’m done doing it this way, everything is pretty much exactly back to how it was on the old device.

Thanks—getting ready for Friday for my and my wife’s phones.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With iOS 13, managing your devices will be done via “Finder” on a Mac instead of iTunes. The functionality to restore and create backups remains.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
With iOS 13, managing your devices will be done via “Finder” on a Mac instead of iTunes. The functionality to restore and create backups remains.

Can you elaborate here. I’ve always backed up to iTunes and don’t use iCloud. My XS is backed up to iTunes on my MacBook Pro 2018. Will I not be able to just plug into iTunes and restore from backup? If not, where in finder will the backup be? Thanks in advance!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234