To Dark Mode or Not To Dark Mode

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I really don't know much about how OLED & LCD differ in resource use or technically but my ageing eyes much prefer dark presentations especially for 'longer' reads. Case in point my Kindle App. My iMac is set up to dark more as well and it's soothing compared to the brght white. How any screen 'gets there' is moot to me, and like 'specs' and 'numbers' re performance, only IMHO a small part of the picture.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I really don't know much about how OLED & LCD differ in resource use or technically but my ageing eyes much prefer dark presentations especially for 'longer' reads. Case in point my Kindle App. My iMac is set up to dark more as well and it's soothing compared to the brght white. How any screen 'gets there' is moot to me, and like 'specs' and 'numbers' re performance, only IMHO a small part of the picture.

I agree, I'm still trying to figure out why you was invited to a Beta Dark Mode for Google search and I wasn't....LOL

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Since I've been totally unable to find any information anywhere re this trial, I hope it wasn't a scam to spoof my creds... It appeared on the Google App opening page and I'm very pleased with the result. But 'googling' stuff in 'google' has yielded me nothing.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Since I've been totally unable to find any information anywhere re this trial, I hope it wasn't a scam to spoof my creds... It appeared on the Google App opening page and I'm very pleased with the result. But 'googling' stuff in 'google' has yielded me nothing.

Yes, I looked/searched for it as well and could not find anything on Google for a Beta dark mode for Google.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I've heard the term 'server-side' changes as opposed to app updates but I wonder why the hocus-pocus and secrecy re information about any beta trial. All still OK, still unable to duplicate on iPad though either...

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
How is dark mode different from inverting colors? I don’t have iOS 13 yet obviously, but I did try invert colors because I thought it would be easier on my eyes. And I believe it is, but somethings like images also get affected and look weird, so I went back to regular colors. But I will try dark mode when I get it!

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
The 'in device' - Invert colours is indeed weird in many way for many things, either in Smart Invert OR Classic. I tried it and after about 3 min or less undid whatever I'd done.... Where I use 'Dark' on iOS 12 ( I stay away from Beta) is when it's offered within app usually via 'settings' in a few apps ( YouTube, Kindle, Facebook Messenger. Skype, and a few News Apps.) I'll go with it likely full time in iOS 13 but will probably give that big update a month or so to 'steep' like tea, and wait for 13.0.1 or 13.0.2 to let any major bugs shake themselves out...

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
How is dark mode different from inverting colors? I don’t have iOS 13 yet obviously, but I did try invert colors because I thought it would be easier on my eyes. And I believe it is, but somethings like images also get affected and look weird, so I went back to regular colors. But I will try dark mode when I get it!

You won't see the weird stuff in Dark Mode.

Dwood1970

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site

This is an example of your post in Smart Inver in Tapatalk
c598803f44cb3ff1ba9956fddf816065.plist

This is in Dark Mode on the same post
66a392d8b72e86a9177ed0a98529e208.plist

As you can see it’s completely different.

Last edited:

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
This is an example of your post in Smart Inver in Tapatalk
97bb4973c199119bd0739e697a314d76.jpg

This is in Dark Mode on the same post
3375a88c9135e5704f05f0dbcab0b5be.jpg

As you can see it’s completely different.

Not sure how this will reproduce but at some point someone doing a screenshot of a post to show 'differences' between dark mode & inverted colours took the liberty to edit their screenshot photo & 'cross out' my reference to Beta which completely changed what I was saying... I meant to ( & did) indicate that I myself am not on any Beta that I know of. I did not suggest staying off betas - the 'cross out' changes the meaning and was not mine.