• Why is there is a location setting associated with the iOS Voice Memos app?
    • Where does one find the location from which a Voice memo was recorded, if the location setting is on for the Voice Memos app?
    • Does the location setting for the Voice Memos app also apply to the voice recordings made within iMessage?
    03-14-2019 04:22 PM
    1. Only Apple knows the answer to "why" questions? But in the Settings it says what this setting does. It says "Voice Memos will be named with the location where they are recorded."

2. Just test it and you will see. The location (street address in my experience) will be the default name of the recording.

3. No.
    Just_Me_D and cyberbiker6 like this.
    03-14-2019 05:23 PM
    Welcome to iMore

I like this feature myself for verification purposes
    03-14-2019 09:37 PM
    Thanks. I turn on Location Services sparingly. The “location naming” note in the Setting seemed weak to me since we can easily rename a memo anyway.

As we read more about big data collection schemes, I wish Apple keould add a Location Services on/off switch in the Control Center, but I’ve suggested it in Feedback since iOS 8. So far, Apple has chosen to ignore it.
    03-18-2019 12:31 AM
    As we read more about big data collection schemes, I wish Apple keould add a Location Services on/off switch in the Control Center, but I’ve suggested it in Feedback since iOS 8. So far, Apple has chosen to ignore it.
    Yes, a non-default ability to add this to control center would be great. (My only trepidation is that a found "lost" iPhone could be more easily hidden from Find My iPhone, but the reality is that there so many ways for thieves to disable tracking that it may not matter much.)
    cyberbiker6 likes this.
    03-18-2019 11:03 AM