hello...i am new here and have a question..i have an iphone 7 plus in gold and i recently sprayed some windex on a micro fiber cloth and used it to clean the aluminum backing of my phone..is that ok? or will it do damage in the long run ? i know not to use windex on the screen but i couldnt find anything about the backing on google
    01-23-2019 01:51 PM
    Are you asking if it’s okay to use Windex on aluminum-backed phone or tablet? Using chemicals on your devices is never a good idea.
    01-23-2019 01:53 PM
    iphone..i have a gold 7 plus...the micro fiber cloth was damp not soaked...it got the backing nice and clean im just worried about long term damage..will it fade the color?
    01-23-2019 01:55 PM
    I wouldn't use Windex. There are other products that are safer. I use one called Whoosh. Here are some tips from Apple.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    01-23-2019 02:41 PM
    iphone..i have a gold 7 plus...the micro fiber cloth was damp not soaked...it got the backing nice and clean im just worried about long term damage..will it fade the color?
    I’m sure there are no long-term effects from using Windex one time. Just don’t keep doing it.
    01-23-2019 02:43 PM
    i only did it once..i just bought the phone 2 days ago but when i was taking off the protective plastic it ships with there was some dirt underneath and i wanted to clean it before putting on a case..it will stay in the case from now on...
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    01-23-2019 02:58 PM
    I use a product called iKlear which you can find on Amazon to clean all of my electronic devices.
    01-23-2019 06:21 PM
    hello...i am new here and have a question..i have an iphone 7 plus in gold and i recently sprayed some windex on a micro fiber cloth and used it to clean the aluminum backing of my phone..is that ok? or will it do damage in the long run ? i know not to use windex on the screen but i couldnt find anything about the backing on google
    Here you go..... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207123
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    01-23-2019 06:41 PM
    I’ve used Whoosh several times. It comes with a nice microfiber cloth and it does a great job of cleaning my entire phone.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    01-23-2019 11:22 PM
    I’ve used Whoosh several times. It comes with a nice microfiber cloth and it does a great job of cleaning my entire phone.
    Been thinking of trying it. does it leave a film on screen.
    01-24-2019 12:00 AM
    Been thinking of trying it. does it leave a film on screen.
    No film at all. It also helps keep fingerprints off the screen. The stuff is good.
    01-24-2019 12:02 AM
    No film at all. It also helps keep fingerprints off the screen. The stuff is good.
    Nice, gonna have to give it a try. Hate finger prints.
    pr1nce and Annie_8plus like this.
    01-24-2019 12:03 AM
    I don’t know how you guys can roll with a naked phone. Especially when they’re so expensive. Got this thing covered like it’s made of glass.
    Rockdog97 likes this.
    01-24-2019 12:58 AM
    I don’t know how you guys can roll with a naked phone. Especially when they’re so expensive. Got this thing covered like it’s made of glass.
    I don't, phone is in a case. But still wipe it down often.
    pr1nce likes this.
    01-24-2019 01:07 AM
    I make my own cleaner. A small hand held size travel spray bottle filled 1/2 water and 1/2 white vinegar. A few fine sprits wiped down with a clean cloth of any kind does the trick
    Annie_8plus and kataran like this.
    01-24-2019 08:35 AM
    My phone is not naked. Its in a case but keep the screen clean and occasionally wipe the entire phone down.
    Annie_8plus and taz323 like this.
    01-24-2019 08:49 AM
    my phone is not naked neither..it is in a silicone case and i have a screen protector on it...i had ised windex on the aluminum backing because i had something sticky on the back and i couldnt get it off with just a damp microfober cloth so i ended up cleaning the entire backing with the windex..it looks nice and shiny i was just worried about long term damage
    01-24-2019 09:08 AM
    I was just confused how you can get your phone dirty enough to require a cleaner when there’s a case and screen protector on it. I’ve had to wipe it with some water when it’s been in the case for a long period of time, but that was because of a collection of dust and lint.
    01-24-2019 09:11 AM
    I dont know what happened..it came shipped out of the box like that...when i took off the protective film that covers the phone there was a big sticky spot on the back of the phone
    01-24-2019 11:10 AM
    Back when I had my 5s, I had dust get inside my Otterbox Defender all the time. I would remove the case about once a month, and give it a thorough clean. I decided to use other cases with my 6s and now my 8 Plus. I don't get as much dust, but I do like to clean it from time to time.

There is another device called Phone Soap that I've been intrigued by for some time. I just don't want to pay that kind of money for something to clean my phone when Whoosh does a really good job!
    01-24-2019 11:36 AM
    Whoosh is a great product and is alcohol free and is safe to use on all screens and devices .
    01-25-2019 08:29 AM
    Buy what makes you happy but I’ll point out that we have dozens of Apple mobile devices in our food prep, order picking, delivery, retail, training dept, and customer facing scenarios. They get cleaned a lot with basic cheap known good cleaners. They last years and look fine. We’d be bankrupt if we bought some of the stuff sold to clean your devices.

All over the company we have spray bottles and wipes with bleach, alcohol, detergents, and whatever they put in industrial general purpose and food prep cleaning supplies. You’d think we would see a problem if you were not supposed to clean the devices often or with that stuff.

We also have around 50 iPads placed by a vendor just in a grip stand (not any cases). They take whatever a commercial cleaner sprays on them every night for years.

That scale also means we have more repairs than many probably see. No one at the Apple Store or depot repair has every raised a flag about how we clean the devices.
    01-26-2019 09:44 AM
    Don’t use windex. Eye glass cleaner that is non alcohol based is ok to use
    Annie_8plus and metalchick719 like this.
    01-30-2019 08:58 PM
    Why would you want to use Windex on your device when there are products specifically made for cleaning tech gadgets? I don't get it.
    02-01-2019 02:05 PM
    Why would you want to use Windex on your device when there are products specifically made for cleaning tech gadgets? I don't get it.
    I would not seek out Windex but don't waste money on some of the specialty product out there. At work dozens of phones, tablets, and scanners are cleaned with inexpensive harsh stuff a few times a day for the up to years they live.
    02-01-2019 02:25 PM
27 12