Hi, I just added my mail accounts to the Mail app and I only see the option to archive mail. I would rather delete it.

How can I change this?
    10-29-2018 09:04 AM
    Hi, I just added my mail accounts to the Mail app and I only see the option to archive mail. I would rather delete it.

How can I change this?
    What account (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) did you add? I know with Gmail there is no "delete". You have to move the message to the trash folder. Kind of dumb, IMHO, but this may be a rule Apple has in place.
    muchospanish and Annie_8plus like this.
    10-29-2018 09:10 AM
    That must be it. I added both a Gmail and an iCloud account. Thank you!
    Lee_Bo likes this.
    10-29-2018 09:23 AM
    That must be it. I added both a Gmail and an iCloud account. Thank you!
    Glad to help. Using Gmail in iOS doesn't have a "delete" option. You have to manually move to trash. I found it 1000 times easier to just forward all my Gmail to my iCloud address.

Thanks.
    muchospanish likes this.
    10-29-2018 03:02 PM
    I know with Gmail there is no "delete". You have to move the message to the trash folder.
    Using Gmail in iOS doesn't have a "delete" option
    Nope, not true. If it is a Gmail account, in Settings / Accounts & Passwords; tap the account, then the top "Account" option, then "Advanced", then change "Move Discarded Messages Into" from "Archive Mailbox" to "Deleted Mailbox".
    Lee_Bo likes this.
    10-29-2018 08:14 PM
    Nope, not true. If it is a Gmail account, in Settings / Accounts & Passwords; tap the account, then the top "Account" option, then "Advanced", then change "Move Discarded Messages Into" from "Archive Mailbox" to "Deleted Mailbox".
    I stand corrected. Thanks. Found the setting. Would be nice to have it set to delete by default.
    10-29-2018 08:35 PM
    FWIW, if you do not change the setting, you can also delete by long-pressing the archive icon - that will pop up an option to delete or archive. (I believe this works with all accounts, not just Gmail.)
    10-29-2018 09:11 PM