Change archive mail to delete

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I just added my mail accounts to the Mail app and I only see the option to archive mail. I would rather delete it.

How can I change this?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I just added my mail accounts to the Mail app and I only see the option to archive mail. I would rather delete it.

How can I change this?

What account (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) did you add? I know with Gmail there is no "delete". You have to move the message to the trash folder. Kind of dumb, IMHO, but this may be a rule Apple has in place.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
That must be it. I added both a Gmail and an iCloud account. Thank you!

Glad to help. Using Gmail in iOS doesn't have a "delete" option. You have to manually move to trash. I found it 1000 times easier to just forward all my Gmail to my iCloud address.

Thanks.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I know with Gmail there is no "delete". You have to move the message to the trash folder.

Using Gmail in iOS doesn't have a "delete" option

Nope, not true. If it is a Gmail account, in Settings / Accounts & Passwords; tap the account, then the top "Account" option, then "Advanced", then change "Move Discarded Messages Into" from "Archive Mailbox" to "Deleted Mailbox".

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Nope, not true. If it is a Gmail account, in Settings / Accounts & Passwords; tap the account, then the top "Account" option, then "Advanced", then change "Move Discarded Messages Into" from "Archive Mailbox" to "Deleted Mailbox".

I stand corrected. Thanks. Found the setting. Would be nice to have it set to delete by default.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, if you do not change the setting, you can also delete by long-pressing the archive icon - that will pop up an option to delete or archive. (I believe this works with all accounts, not just Gmail.)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner