Shortcuts App (share and help)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I think it’s gonna get easier as they continue to update the app. It’s already had two updates in a short time

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think it’s gonna get easier as they continue to update the app. It’s already had two updates in a short time

I already changed the name of one.
Here's what I have. I had already created phone numbers in Workflow. They're on my homescreen.
aa151509db41901501d4aa060d80f207.jpg

Just can't figure out how to save a video on social media. I can do it other ways, but that Social Media Video save has me stumped.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I have a few video download shortcuts but they don’t seem to work for me too.

The YouTube downloader works great in the YouTube app. There's a site online that converts videos from Twitter. But they're only in Safari. Can't save to camera roll. But using the Save from Safari Shortcut with it works great.
Here's the site:
https://ssstwitter.com/
Copy the tweet with the video, and past it in on the site. Open it, and copy. Then tap on Shortcuts in the share sheet.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that creating shortcuts is meant for the average user. These are intended for more advanced users most definitely. Even using shortcuts I think is meant for more advanced users.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that creating shortcuts is meant for the average user. These are intended for more advanced users most definitely. Even using shortcuts I think is meant for more advanced users.

Well....a lot of us here are advanced users & some of us are still having an issue grasping this set up. I’m not new to any technology and have a pretty good grasp on a lot of stuff.

I feel the app is clunky and not very straight forward as far as creating shortcuts. There’s too many actions that have to be put in place just for one shortcut to work successfully.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
When I say it’s for advanced users, I mean that creating shortcuts in the shortcuts app is meant for people who know how to program, or at least have some basic understanding of programming concepts.

You can search the public library for existing shortcuts, and I think more technical users who have no programming experience may get benefit and use those quite well.

Siri shortcuts (not the shortcuts app, but automating simple actions for spoken Siri commands) is probably more open to average users, but even then I think that most people will not explore it much.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
When I say it’s for advanced users, I mean that creating shortcuts in the shortcuts app is meant for people who know how to program, or at least have some basic understanding of programming concepts.
Ok...here’s where I disagree. Needing a basic concept of programming....? Because the iPhone was always praised as being an easy platform to use...so I guess this doesn’t stand true then for this app🤷🏻*♀️

I’m not attacking you or your opinion on the shortcuts app. It is frustrating tho that Apple would release this with no particular guidelines or direction on how to use it...if my father wanted to use the shortcuts app for simple Siri commands he would struggle with it, and i consider him an average user.

Please comment if I'm missing something here.

You can search the public library for existing shortcuts, and I think more technical users who have no programming experience may get benefit and use those quite well.
Ok, I will search and check it out just to educate myself on this.

Siri shortcuts (not the shortcuts app, but automating simple actions for spoken Siri commands) is probably more open to average users, but even then I think that most people will not explore it much.

I agree here. I actually have quite a handful set up but in reality I don't use them. Maybe just a couple of times because I can unlock face id and navigate to what I need quicker than sending Siri a command to do so for me... And I just don't use my phone at all while driving for safety reasons, but for someone who needs the Siri function (more than I ever would) would benefit quite well from this.

Honestly I don't really even use Siri much at all.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Well....a lot of us here are advanced users & some of us are still having an issue grasping this set up. I’m not new to any technology and have a pretty good grasp on a lot of stuff.

I feel the app is clunky and not very straight forward as far as creating shortcuts. There’s too many actions that have to be put in place just for one shortcut to work successfully.

As an unadvanced user with little programming skillz, I had hoped to see those who are post detailed tutorials with screenshots, arrows, and explanations. But all I see are ready made Shortcuts and links to sites with more of the same. Even some of the ready made Shortcuts are hard to figure how to use. Before Apple purchased Workflow, I set up speed dial number Shortcuts and added them to my homescreen. It wasn't easy, but I managed it. But creating a custom Shortcut from scratch is different. As soon as I tap on "create shortcut", I'm asking, "what next?". I'll just have to play with it and see what happens. A lot of trial and error.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok...here’s where I disagree. Needing a basic concept of programming....? Because the iPhone was always praised as being an easy platform to use...so I guess this doesn’t stand true then for this app*

I’m not attacking you or your opinion on the shortcuts app. It is frustrating tho that Apple would release this with no particular guidelines or direction on how to use it...if my father wanted to use the shortcuts app for simple Siri commands he would struggle with it, and i consider him an average user.

Please comment if I'm missing something here.
I’m not going to argue, but, fwiw, the shortcuts app is not installed by default. You need to get it deliberately, install it yourself from the App Store.

And it is a lot easier to create a powerful workflow (if the shortcuts app supports your workflow, of course) than it is to develop an app yourself. And I could see a future where machine learning will make things easier in the shortcuts app eventually.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Dunno its when using my ipod touch have save to dropbox are files then save for there on to device

Well, that's probably no more trouble than using a shortcut. I don't know of any Shortcuts forum related. May be one for imgur. Do you not have an iPhone to use for images?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR