iOS 12 - Audio Routing in Phone Calls

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
Hello All-
iPhone X and Apple Watch Series 4 owner here, and running into a slight nuisance when trying to route audio to the speaker while on a phone call. Just picked-up my Series 4 (GPS Only) Apple Watch yesterday (after having upgraded from the original Gen 0 Watch.)

Seems like I can't find a way to turn-off the continuity feature between the iPhone and the Watch. Instead of being presented with a "Speaker" button (as was the case in iOS 11 with the Gen 0 Apple Watch connected) when in a call, I'm now presented with an "Audio" button which when pressed gives me the option to route the audio to the iPhone, Speaker or Apple Watch. I'm wondering if it's possible to disable this behavior?

Perhaps I'm asking a bit too much, but I personally can't think of a single scenario in my case where I'd ever want to route my phone call to my watch (unless I answered it there to begin with - in which the option would make more sense, but once I've picked-up the call on the phone, I can't see why I would want to route it back to my Watch, especially being a non-Cellular model.)

Thanks

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
That’s a new iOS 12 / WatchOS5 feature. I actually like it but I could see why some wouldn’t. I always have my AirPods on so I’m used to not having my speaker button act like a speaker button.

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
Figured this was something new baked into iOS 12 since I don't remember this being an option in iOS 11 (but then again, my Gen 0 Watch was pretty dated at this point.) I do have AirPods as well and Bluetooth built-in to my car, but when at home, I just usually answer the phone and immediately put it on speaker. Just a habit I suppose? Figured it couldn't hurt to ask, and if anyone else finds a way to disable this (short-of a future iOS / WatchOS update), I'd love to know how.

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
Funny enough - I have Handoff disabled and that didn't change this behavior even after power-cycling the Watch and the Phone. Only way seems to be when I turn-off Bluetooth altogether.

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
So I wiped the (Series 4) Watch, removed all backups and set it back-up from scratch. After setting everything up WITHOUT signing-in using my Apple ID during and after the set-up process, I have now disabled the Watch from showing-up as an Audio routing device when on a phone call. I understand the logic behind most users wanting to have the option to route Audio to their Watch, but in my case, it was an added nuisance I could do without.

Anyhow, perhaps going-forward this is the new norm, but I think I may explore other (Watch) options / alternatives - or eventually learn to deal with this new "feature".

Thanks for the replies @Alex

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
So I wiped the (Series 4) Watch, removed all backups and set it back-up from scratch. After setting everything up WITHOUT signing-in using my Apple ID during and after the set-up process, I have now disabled the Watch from showing-up as an Audio routing device when on a phone call. I understand the logic behind most users wanting to have the option to route Audio to their Watch, but in my case, it was an added nuisance I could do without.

Anyhow, perhaps going-forward this is the new norm, but I think I may explore other (Watch) options / alternatives - or eventually learn to deal with this new "feature".

Thanks for the replies @Alex

Just as a side note, when I was restoring all of my devices, the feature disappeared for me during all of the restarts. It came back a few hours later. Keep us updated.

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
Same happened here. Returned the Apple Watch Series 4 and found a used Series 2 Stainless Steel for one heck of a bargain, and although I still did not sign-in with my Apple ID, the (unwanted) feature re-appeared after about a day or so...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m a little slow in the brain today so forgive me for not quite understanding what’s going on.

Are you wanting to answer a phone call with your  Watch, but have the audio heard via your iPhone?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I’m a little slow in the brain today so forgive me for not quite understanding what’s going on.

Are you wanting to answer a phone call with your  Watch, but have the audio heard via your iPhone?

As I read it, OP wants/wanted to be able to answer a call on the iPhone without seeing the Apple Watch as a sound source (such as headphones or connected speakers would be) when switching from the earpiece to a speaker when a call arrives.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Same happened here. Returned the Apple Watch Series 4 and found a used Series 2 Stainless Steel for one heck of a bargain, and although I still did not sign-in with my Apple ID, the (unwanted) feature re-appeared after about a day or so...

Why did you return it? The performance increases are obvious between 3 and 4, so why go back to a 2?

Also, this isn’t a 4 specific feature. It’s a WatchOS5 and iOS12 feature.

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
Not denying the Series 4 is a beauty of a watch and performance-wise it blows everything before it out of the water. In my case I literally use it just for notifications (while at work) and for that, I found a (Mint Condition) Stainless Steel Series 2 for $200. My Gen 0 Watch had seen better days (battery-wise), so I did need to replace it with something. Even considered other smart watches, but this deal popped-up, and it's serving me well so far.

I understood what you meant about it being a iOS 12 / WatchOS 5 feature - I'm learning to deal with it at this point, but I still find it to be a useless feature in my case seeing as I never wear the watch at home.

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
As I read it, OP wants/wanted to be able to answer a call on the iPhone without seeing the Apple Watch as a sound source (such as headphones or connected speakers would be) when switching from the earpiece to a speaker when a call arrives.

That would be correct doogald. I would prefer NOT to see the Apple Watch as an Audio Source.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I don’t ever recall seeing that, but I’ll pay closer attention when I get my next phone call. Thank you for the clarification, doogald.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I haven’t seen this on the latest betas. Either something changed or I’m stuck in that “it disappeared” stage. Handoff still works flawlessly so maybe they changed it.

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the update Alex. Hopefully it doesn't get stuck in the "it disappeared" (temporary) phase in Beta, but I won't hold my breath. I've just started to learn to deal with it (as with most new "features" Apple decides to introduce and/or remove.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods