What the heck is Forbes talking about?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone seen the Forbes article via the following in which it is claiming that iOS 12 significantly degraded the quality of iPhone displays (in particular, the iPhone X)?

You can read the article HERE

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Has anyone seen the Forbes article via the following in which it is claiming that iOS 12 significantly degraded the quality of iPhone displays (in particular, the iPhone X)?

You can read the article HERE
I rarely see eye to eye with Gordon however this article is more or less about people complaining about it on Reddit and MacRumors. Can't really fault him here for writing about what a fair pool of people are upset about. I think he's crazy for recommending users not update to iOS 12 but other than that the content of the article is simply brining to light what some users are seeing and experiencing.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I rarely see eye to eye with Gordon however this article is more or less about people complaining about it on Reddit and MacRumors. Can't really fault him here for writing about what a fair pool of people are upset about. I think he's crazy for recommending users not update to iOS 12 but other than that the content of the article is simply brining to light what some users are seeing and experiencing.

Good point. I suppose my gripe is that I’ve been running iOS 12 since June and the overall performance of my iPhone X has improved. My iPhone X’s display has not been negative impacted at all.

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Good point. I suppose my gripe is that I’ve been running iOS 12 since June and the overall performance of my iPhone X has improved. My iPhone X’s display has not been negative impacted at all.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. While I don't have an X those I know who do have nothing but great things to say about iOS 12. For the record, I have a PR 8 Plus and iOS 12 has been blazing fast and smooth.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
A select few always have issues. I’m been using the iOS 12 since June with no issues. The screens on my X & 8 still look amazing.

kcox52692

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
No problems with my iPad Air 2. I don't like having to swipe down from the right for the command center, I still keep trying to swipe up from the bottom, but that's a minor issue. No performance degradation noticed.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
He appears to be taking the issues of a few and subtly implying a greater issue. I haven't noticed a degradation in screen quality, personally. Not saying it hasn't happened to others. This is the first I've heard of this issue.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
It's so rare that Forbes tech writers have anything positive to say about Apple software that IF they don't shoot something down right from the get-go, I work on the assumption that it must be 'really good'. Anything more than a luke warm response / review just doesn't & is not likely to happen anytime soon....

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
There were a couple betas where the display on my X seemed to be less vivid, but that is definitely not the case anymore. Maybe that is what people were complaining about? I think I even remember seeing it in the release notes to one of the betas so I would assume that issue was fixed for the general release.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yup, Ive seen it and read the article I posted about it in another thread too. I don't see anything wrong with my display since the upgrade.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Sensationalism at its best. Claiming that battery life discrepancies is a “serious problem” without taking into account individual usage or the fact that people are able to charge their phone almost everywhere, including charging via a backpack is taking things way overboard.

But then again, the primary objective is to get people to read what was written and he accomplished his mission even though many of us are shaking our heads for having wasted our time reading it...(laughing)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I do agree, though, that more people will buy a less expensive XR over the XS, and not just because of the battery. And that Apple won't care one way or the other which one they buy.

That said, I hope that the X/XS size continues in the future. The XR is too big for me. I've already had to grow to accept the size of the 6/6s/7/8 over the older, smaller phone, and the X/XS being slightly bigger than those. I don't want to buy a phone that is physically any bigger.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I have stopped paying attention to Forbes. It seems like they are desperate for readership and blog about anything to get the hits.