Is anyone else getting irrtitated by Apple's iOS keyboard layouts?

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Is anyone else getting irrtitated by Apple's iOS keyboard layouts? In iOS 11, it was the undo key placement on the numeric entry; I keep hitting it unintentionally. Now in iOS12, the placement of the emoji key is right where the numeric/symbol key should be located when in landscape mode. I think there is a great market for a remapped keyboard alternative. I’ve yet to find a decent 3rd party on screen keyboard for the iPad.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Keyboard Irritations

Been using SwiftKey for years on Android, now on iOS I'm on the beta version. Can't see myself using anything else.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

My favorite third party keyboards are SwiftKey, Next Keyboard, GBoard, and Nintype. I do use the stock keyboard more than any other keyboard though.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site

FYI...Next Keyboard has been discontinued. SwiftKey, so far, is a good replacement for the Apple on screen. It is curious that Apple flipped the locations of the number and emoji key placements when changing from portrait to landscape.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

I've used SwiftKey since Apple permitted 3rd party keyboards (since iOS 9 if I remember correctly) and have never looked back (except for a brief trial of GBoard which I really didn't like the 'frippery').

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
In my perfect world they would have the BB keyboard from BB10 that was used on the Z10. Without a doubt, the best virtual keyboard I've ever used

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that annoys me is that on the iPhone in portrait and iPad on landscape the num lock and emoji keys are swapped around. I keep hitting those by mistake on the iPad.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
In my perfect world they would have the BB keyboard from BB10 that was used on the Z10. Without a doubt, the best virtual keyboard I've ever used

I didn’t stick with Blackberry long enough to get to Z10 or BB10 but I found the previous incarnations blackberry touch keyboard to be atrocious. I spent a long time with a borrow iPhone before committing to iPhone to find out if I could work a touch screen phone and came to the conclusion it was just the BB keyboard I couldn’t work. Never looked back since

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I miss Word Flow and have been disappointed over not seeing it’s features go to SwiftKey after the Microsoft purchase but SwiftKey is what I use most.

As a G Suite and Azure/365 administrator, except for Google maps I generally like Microsoft’s mobile apps more. Microsoft and Apple don’t make you the product as much as Google does. I’m happy to pay my Microsoft subscriptions because except for maps their software does more and their support is high quality.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I didn’t stick with Blackberry long enough to get to Z10 or BB10 but I found the previous incarnations blackberry touch keyboard to be atrocious. I spent a long time with a borrow iPhone before committing to iPhone to find out if I could work a touch screen phone and came to the conclusion it was just the BB keyboard I couldn’t work. Never looked back since

the first BB touch keyboards sucked. BB10 was the best keyboard i've ever used. Based on apple's implementation of gestures, another 10 years and Apple might have a great keyboard as well

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I just couldn’t stand the frustration anymore of seeing apps I wanted/needed available for iPhone or Android and no plans for Blackberry.

But I’m glad I made the swap to Apple

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I've used SwiftKey since Apple permitted 3rd party keyboards (since iOS 9 if I remember correctly) and have never looked back (except for a brief trial of GBoard which I really didn't like the 'frippery').

I've been using SwiftKey since it first began as well. It actually began in iOS 8. It was kinda rough then, but has steadily improved since.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm yet to find a third party keyboard that offers as good of a predictive and corrective text feature as the stock iOS keyboard. I've been using Grammarly for the last week and I have to correct my text more than I prefer (with GRAMMARLY of all keyboards. Go figure).

The closest thing I recall was GBoard. I've been thinking about going back as it's been over a year since I've used it. Figured I'd try it again to see if it's improved, imo.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I've been using SwiftKey since it first began as well. It actually began in iOS 8. It was kinda rough then, but has steadily improved since.

Long time Pal....

I more or less 'skipped' iOS 8 as it just about totally wrecked my 'original' iPad mini, which I later replaced with Mini4.... As 'late buyers' of iPhones 6/6Plus, they shipped with iOS 8 but iOS 9 was already out & dropped shortly after so......
I just did iOS 12 on all 4 'duty devices' ( my iPhone 7Plus, Wife's 8Plus, her iPad Air2 & my Mini4) all updates OTA & smooth. Huge number of App updates following (10-20) though, even as all devices were 'up to date' when I started the busywork...I also did the 'spare/guest local phone ( Wife's old 6Plus) which is more or less retired and stays in the safe for times when we have family visiting who need a local phone - let's see if iOS 12 'breathes new life' into it as touted

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Typing on the stock keyboard is my preference. The layout doesn’t really bother me, however, I do think it's a bit cluttered when using the Messages app.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711