Is anyone else getting irrtitated by Apple's iOS keyboard layouts?

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I've tried 3rd party keyboards and use Swiftkey here and there for the swipe feature, but I switch back to the stock keyboard most times. I've never had a good experience with 3rd party keyboards. There always seems to be a lag and the stock keyboard is much more responsive. I wish there was a "flick" keyboard like BB10, I'd be willing to try that. BB did something right there, the keyboard on my old Z10 was flawless.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Not a problem for me and like a couple of others my "go to" third party keyboard is SwiftKey. There's always going to be adjustments with new OS's

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I would like arrow keys, easy switch to calculator style keys and easy tab on a keyboard but don't have time for too much fooling around in coming weeks or months. That would include getting an understanding of privacy.

Numeric keypad is solved within Excel.

The Drafts app solves arrow keys and having superb text formatting capabilities. Quite often Drafts has been one of the reasons I stick with an iPhone. Anyone unhappy with keyboards and other issues should take time to understand that incredibly useful and powerful app.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I miss Word Flow and have been disappointed over not seeing it’s features go to SwiftKey after the Microsoft purchase but SwiftKey is what I use most.

As a G Suite and Azure/365 administrator, except for Google maps I generally like Microsoft’s mobile apps more. Microsoft and Apple don’t make you the product as much as Google does. I’m happy to pay my Microsoft subscriptions because except for maps their software does more and their support is high quality.
You aren't the product if you use Google Apps for business. Consumer market products have different terms of use. They're funded by the such scription cost, like Business Offoce 365 plans.

Microsoft still forces you to opt into data collection with Offjce 365, Windows 10, etc. and some people are still paranoid about that (that includes mobile and macOS versions of Office), so you aren't really gaining much over Google - if anything - when using the products as a consumer.

For business use, Google is fine, and so is Microsoft (Apple really isn't in that market, so *shrugs* ).

Microsoft's software is still better or me, because I like having real desktop clients, and Google doesn't have any (for me) viable desktop operating platform. Mobile OSes and software aren't at the point where they can replace Windows for me, or even close, yet...

I really hate having to work in web browser tabs, and browsers tend to be CPU and RAM hogs, anyways.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've tried 3rd party keyboards and use Swiftkey here and there for the swipe feature, but I switch back to the stock keyboard most times. I've never had a good experience with 3rd party keyboards. There always seems to be a lag and the stock keyboard is much more responsive. I wish there was a "flick" keyboard like BB10, I'd be willing to try that. BB did something right there, the keyboard on my old Z10 was flawless.
This is why I've never used one on iOS. On Android I use whatever I feel like, and don't have that issue. Also, the say iOS would swap keyboards for certain fields was... wacky.

On Android I used Swiftkey a lot in the past, but tend to just use the stock keyboard on phones these days. They're all pretty decent, and I don't see a point in the redundancy. Some are basically modified Swiftkey, anyways (Samsung did this in the past)...

I didn't like the iOS keyboard in landscape, so I never used my iPhones that way.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
You aren't the product if you use Google Apps for business. Consumer market products have different terms of use. They're funded by the such scription cost, like Business Offoce 365 plans.

Microsoft still forces you to opt into data collection with Offjce 365, Windows 10, etc. and some people are still paranoid about that (that includes mobile and macOS versions of Office), so you aren't really gaining much over Google - if anything - when using the products as a consumer.

For business use, Google is fine, and so is Microsoft (Apple really isn't in that market, so *shrugs* ).

Microsoft's software is still better or me, because I like having real desktop clients, and Google doesn't have any (for me) viable desktop operating platform. Mobile OSes and software aren't at the point where they can replace Windows for me, or even close, yet...

I really hate having to work in web browser tabs, and browsers tend to be CPU and RAM hogs, anyways.

Yes, at times I find Google simple or not enough to a fault and at times Azure/365 complex or too much to a fault. On the whole I like Microsoft's far more capable platform and ability for me to work in about any style with any platform.

I think I said or said in other posts that mobile Excel itself solves some keyboard app design issues.

Activity Monitor on a Mac will often show me a tab with "Drive" just sitting there is taking a surprisingly large slice of physical memory.

Google's chat improvements are much appreciated but the platform is really lame if you compare it to the way Teams can let you work on a file and collaborate.

Apple with Google are disappointing when it comes to notes. I'm surprised how much time has passed without either having decent outlining or ordered lists. Simple text editors are valuable for programming and system config but ordered lists are extremely important for management and supervision work. As much as OneNote is a really big app, it with Swiftkey, the Teams client app, and SharePoint client app get a whole lot of use.

The current professional or paid grade Microsoft apps with Swiftkey all loaded in the XS Max phone is truly fantastic stuff. Google's apps are good to.

The app store is always showing me lots of other good productive apps but they all fail in my mind if they don't have Microsoft or Google as a back end because of the calendar and messaging they offer.

Drafts remains an important tool for me regardless. It alone syncs via iCloud. it does super capture from web in addition to its own text formatting. Very often my "drafts" from the app get sent to my professional use of G Suite or 365.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, at times I find Google simple or not enough to a fault and at times Azure/365 complex or too much to a fault. On the whole I like Microsoft's far more capable platform and ability for me to work in about any style with any platform.

I think I said or said in other posts that mobile Excel itself solves some keyboard app design issues.

Activity Monitor on a Mac will often show me a tab with "Drive" just sitting there is taking a surprisingly large slice of physical memory.

Google's chat improvements are much appreciated but the platform is really lame if you compare it to the way Teams can let you work on a file and collaborate.

Apple with Google are disappointing when it comes to notes. I'm surprised how much time has passed without either having decent outlining or ordered lists. Simple text editors are valuable for programming and system config but ordered lists are extremely important for management and supervision work. As much as OneNote is a really big app, it with Swiftkey, the Teams client app, and SharePoint client app get a whole lot of use.

The current professional or paid grade Microsoft apps with Swiftkey all loaded in the XS Max phone is truly fantastic stuff. Google's apps are good to.

The app store is always showing me lots of other good productive apps but they all fail in my mind if they don't have Microsoft or Google as a back end because of the calendar and messaging they offer.

Drafts remains an important tool for me regardless. It alone syncs via iCloud. it does super capture from web in addition to its own text formatting. Very often my "drafts" from the app get sent to my professional use of G Suite or 365.
Lists are something that is being relegated to it's own interface these days. Microsoft has To-Do. Google has Keep. I'm pretty sure Apple Notes does lists.

OneNote has molasses sync times, and the app is heavy and takes forever the boot up (mobile and UWP versions). Note taking apps are so personal, though. Really boils down to preference or prescription.

I would never sync important data to iCloud. OneDtive and Google Drive have much better safeguards in their services.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Lists are something that is being relegated to it's own interface these days. Microsoft has To-Do. Google has Keep. I'm pretty sure Apple Notes does lists.

OneNote has molasses sync times, and the app is heavy and takes forever the boot up (mobile and UWP versions). Note taking apps are so personal, though. Really boils down to preference or prescription.

I would never sync important data to iCloud. OneDtive and Google Drive have much better safeguards in their services.

Good points. The Drafts app is also something I use for speed but ultimately might put the content in OneNote pages shared in the enterprise. It just becomes a necessary evil to some extent because it's also a good tool for an enterprise and group collaboration.

Very good points on the security. I don't want people to think wrong of using Apple's Notes or others but G Suite and Microsoft have authenticator apps, and Microsoft has the absolutely tremendous capability and ease to up security with AIP level 2.

What's really cool about Microsoft is an individual or tiny business can buy into all that at small scale and reasonable prices. A whole lot of people seem to miss how much the Microsoft of today is not the stereotype so many have.

nucks26

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I find the Apple keyboard to have the very best auto correct. I’ve used many android devices in the past and I can type much faster on an iPhone than any other device I have ever used without having to worry about going back and correcting what I typed.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
SwiftKey definitely has better predictions and Auto-Cirrect, but Apples keyboard works better with the way they've implemented support for third party keyboards, IMO (performance, responsiveness, stability, etc.).

Someone here with an 8 Plus uses SwiftKey exclusively on it. They say they prefer it. I've always just used Apple's because of convenience.

I don't type long form things on mobile devices, though...

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else getting irrtitated by Apple's iOS keyboard layouts? In iOS 11, it was the undo key placement on the numeric entry; I keep hitting it unintentionally. Now in iOS12, the placement of the emoji key is right where the numeric/symbol key should be located when in landscape mode.

This is supposedly fixed in iOS 12.0.1 released today (10/8/18). (I haven't received it on my iPad yet. I did a manual install to my iPhone, but I'm waiting to see how long it takes to do a "automatic update".)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This is supposedly fixed in iOS 12.0.1 released today (10/8/18). (I haven't received it on my iPad yet. I did a manual install to my iPhone, but I'm waiting to see how long it takes to do a "automatic update".)

I'm currently downloading it onto my iPad. Fingers crossed that it is indeed fixed! :)

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site

I just downloaded and the key positions have been restored to where they belong. I couldn’t wait for the auto update. Thrilled that Apple responded to fix this mistake so promptly. This is why I like and respect Apple. They may make a mistake, but they fix them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice