Why cant Apple figure out how to send a PDF using iMessage w/o resorting to work arounds?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
If Apple put the energy into productivity that they put into emoji's, It would be a better device

You’ve mentioned this several times so we understand you don’t like emoji. I rarely use them myself. oops. 🤣

Anyways, why can’t it be both? To say Apple doesn’t put energy into how their devices perform is simply not true. We have all mentioned that you can easily attach a pdf to a message, but you are focused on the opposite. Is every aspect of iOS perfect? Of course not. Are there other choices if we don’t like it? Yes there is, though arguably not enough. Apple refines things so they work well, though not always the way we wished. Android does things multiple ways, though not always well. Choose your poison.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
You can attach a PDF to a message from within the Messages app also. If, the PDF is available from one of the many cloud storage apps that have a plugin for the Messages app, you are good to go.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180819/43c9955fdc3d309fd0b1edf875227abe.jpg

My answer to this is quite simple, I have 4 different cloud storage providers and only 2 show up in the choices ribbon at the bottom of the messages app. Apple released a "files" app. to store things like this and yet that's not a choice when messages is open. I do realize I was doing something wrong but, it should be a bit more...cohesive. In other words, if you add an app that is a depository for files then shouldn't that app be in the bottom ribbon of another app that is used to send messages?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
My answer to this is quite simple, I have 4 different cloud storage providers and only 2 show up in the choices ribbon at the bottom of the messages app. Apple released a "files" app. to store things like this and yet that's not a choice when messages is open. I do realize I was doing something wrong but, it should be a bit more...cohesive. In other words, if you add an app that is a depository for files then shouldn't that app be in the bottom ribbon of another app that is used to send messages?

Submit your feature request to Apple.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When I opened in mail it didnt offer the option to send in a message. I could mail it or I could print it.

Are you tapping on the pdf, or pressing lightly on it? If you press on it, it brings up the share sheet. If you tap on it to open it, there's a share arrow in the bottom left corner. If all you get is email and print, try choosing print. Then reverse pinch the screen like you would to zoom. Then tap the share arrow in the bottom left. Are you sliding the options in the share sheet to see them all? Can you show a screenshot of your share sheet?
You might try @applesupport on Twitter. Or call them at:

Apple Support Number:
(800) 275-2273

Last edited:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Click the share icon, click more, then turn on whatever app you’d like to send the PDF to.

27be38fdff139efc01f92f7dc5caf8d5.png
eb75f3ca0efb99df644f8c9931343488.png
a8f71039d66acb048aae6caa92454981.png
2a9ac6d3c847c60329ca91b1d113bdff.png

I did this from the native mail app. If you still can’t figure it out, then you might want to make a genius appointment or just stay angry about it.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Click the share icon, click more, then turn on whatever app you’d like to send the PDF to.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180820/27be38fdff139efc01f92f7dc5caf8d5.png//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180820/eb75f3ca0efb99df644f8c9931343488.png//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180820/a8f71039d66acb048aae6caa92454981.png//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180820/2a9ac6d3c847c60329ca91b1d113bdff.png

I did this from the native mail app. If you still can’t figure it out, then you might want to make a genius appointment or just stay angry about it.

Thank you for your late to the party response King Richard! The mail app is not the issue

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a Mobile Management Device (MDM) profile? If so, some options on the share sheet may be restricted. If you don't, then I would reach out to Apple Support. They can help you figure out what might be going on with your share sheet. Have you tried restoring as new? The messages app as well as many other options are there for everyone else. So obviously, something is not right with your device.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I guess you decided to stay angry about it LOL

Then is probably won't help.

Just opened a PDF from iCloud (where I store everything) and hit the share icon:

1c077f57f6bb1fbb716fd7d343466d57.jpg

Lots of options there including iMessage. And it works as I'm flooding friends and coworkers with test messages.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
So, while everyone here says this is easy and they have no problem. Here is the problem when you send a PDF via iMessage( another iPhone) it does work. In case it's only me that has noticed, Android has more phones in the market and while you can text via iMessage (really sms) you cant send a PDF. verified this thru apple because it just doesn't work. I didn't notice I was sending it to an Android phone. One of those weird things that's really annoying. Like being sucked into a group text and the person who started the text has an Android phone. If it was started with an iPhone you can remove yourself. If it's started with an Android you have to ask to be removed.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
So, while everyone here says this is easy and they have no problem. Here is the problem when you send a PDF via iMessage( another iPhone) it does work. In case it's only me that has noticed, Android has more phones in the market and while you can text via iMessage (really sms) you cant send a PDF. verified this thru apple because it just doesn't work. I didn't notice I was sending it to an Android phone. One of those weird things that's really annoying. Like being sucked into a group text and the person who started the text has an Android phone. If it was started with an iPhone you can remove yourself. If it's started with an Android you have to ask to be removed.

You would need to send an attachment as MMS. SMS doesn’t allow for attachments. Apple’s iMessage works with SMS and MMS just fine.

Edit: I just sent a test PDF to my Friend’s Android phone just fine and vice versa.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
You would need to send an attachment as MMS. SMS doesn’t allow for attachments. Apple’s iMessage works with SMS and MMS just fine.

Edit: I just sent a test PDF to my Friend’s Android phone just fine and vice versa.

well, I was on the phone with Apple and went thru 4-5 levels of we can help you . I have three iPhones on hand and it worked everytime. sent it to my brothers Android, failed to send. sent it to a friends Android , failed to send. whatever is stopping it, Apple and I cant figure it out

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
well, I was on the phone with Apple and went thru 4-5 levels of we can help you . I have three iPhones on hand and it worked everytime. sent it to my brothers Android, failed to send. sent it to a friends Android , failed to send. whatever is stopping it, Apple and I cant figure it out

Not all phone companies use the same system for SMS and MMS. There are lots of interoperability problems with text messages between phone companies. It could be on your friend’s end.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Not all phone companies use the same system for SMS and MMS. There are lots of interoperability problems with text messages between phone companies. It could be on your friend’s end.

No, it’s Apples fault.
If any OS didn’t fit my needs I would switch. I’ve done it before and will probably do it again. Why complain?

You are correct. Much of this has to with the carrier also. Lots of variables.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
No, it’s Apples fault.
If any OS didn’t fit my needs I would switch. I’ve done it before and will probably do it again. Why complain?

You are correct. Much of this has to with the carrier also. Lots of variables.

Used to be that we couldn’t even send SMS messages to friends on other phone companies.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

I was pretty thorough. My Brothers Android is on ATT my carrier. My friend is on... I think T-mobile but he may have switched to Verizon. If Apple couldn't tell me tell me why then it's time to let it go. Not like I didnt try to figure it out

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I was pretty thorough. My Brothers Android is on ATT my carrier. My friend is on... I think T-mobile but he may have switched to Verizon. If Apple couldn't tell me tell me why then it's time to let it go. Not like I didnt try to figure it out

You should check. There may be file size limits for attachments with MMS messages with certain carriers. It may be better to send as an email.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR