Why cant Apple figure out how to send a PDF using iMessage w/o resorting to work arounds?

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
LOL still no dark mode. Seems that resizing and tweaking button shapes and playing with wall paper designs is more popular not to mention emoji's. I don't get it! Apple is the only mainstream manufacturer that doesn't have a true dark mode. While I'm ranting, why cant Apple figure out how to send a PDF using imessage without resorting to work arounds or third party apps? I guess I'd be happier if I was 12 and emoji's dominated my smart phone use.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Dark mode!!!! Woo hoo

Thanks for sharing. I wish there was a dark mode as well but I’d much rather have a solid OS and iOS 12 has certainly given me that (based on my beta experience). I’m sure it’ll come with time.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Dark mode!!!! Woo hoo

LOL still no dark mode. Seems that resizing and tweaking button shapes and playing with wall paper designs is more popular not to mention emoji's. I don't get it! Apple is the only mainstream manufacturer that doesn't have a true dark mode. While I'm ranting, why cant Apple figure out how to send a PDF using imessage without resorting to work arounds or third party apps? I guess I'd be happier if I was 12 and emoji's dominated my smart phone use.

I totally agree...rant over.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I've sent pdf via iMessage. Not that much work around. Just save the pdf to iBooks. From there, share it via iMessage.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

I've sent pdf via iMessage. Not that much work around. Just save the pdf to iBooks. From there, share it via iMessage.

when I save it there I get two options. Send as an Email or print it. I'll stick by my original observation, iPhone is great for sending pics,video and playing with emoji's. After all these years you'd think that sending files would become second nature. Perhaps my expectations are too high. It only took Apple a decade to get gestures started.

Dan Friedmann

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site

So why do you own an Apple then?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Dan Friedmann;3[emoji646 said:
79959]So why do you own an Apple then?

Disliking one or two aspects of a smartphone OS (i.e. no dark mode, difficulty sending a PDF) doesn’t mean that one doesn’t appreciate and enjoy The OS as a whole. Nothing is perfect.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I usually send PDFs in iMessage that I’ve saved in the Files app and it works just fine. I do, however, have a few other things that irk my entire soul when it comes to Apple, so I understand your rant! I wish we had dark mode & I wish I could start typing someone’s name on the phone keypad & it brings up their number...had this with my Evo 3D WAY back when, it shouldn’t be that difficult I can go on and on but I won’t LOL

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

when I save it there I get two options. Send as an Email or print it. I'll stick by my original observation, iPhone is great for sending pics,video and playing with emoji's. After all these years you'd think that sending files would become second nature. Perhaps my expectations are too high. It only took Apple a decade to get gestures started.

Choose print. Then reverse pinch the screen. Then tap the share arrow in the bottom left corner.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Don’t even have to save a PDF. Whatever the location you just hit the share button and Messages is there as an option. OP is just exaggerating.

dubstir

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I guess I'd be happier if I was 12 and emoji's dominated my smart phone use.

It's sad that Apple seems more vested in memojis/emojis and all childish items vs making usable items such as personal/business profile changes like BlackBerry back in the day. IMO... Apple's iPhone's domination played a role in BlackBerry's demise and in-turn removed the only "professional" aspect from the smartphone industry. Currently, there are only two choices : Android or iOS. Being in the I.T. field, it's much easier to manage and control the latter. With that said, it would be nice to have more professional options vs a talking p**p emoji.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Don’t even have to save a PDF. Whatever the location you just hit the share button and Messages is there as an option. OP is just exaggerating.

I will repost the same response again just for you . When I hit share on the PDF i get two options. Mail and Print.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
It's sad that Apple seems more vested in memojis/emojis and all childish items vs making usable items such as personal/business profile changes like BlackBerry back in the day. IMO... Apple's iPhone's domination played a role in BlackBerry's demise and in-turn removed the only "professional" aspect from the smartphone industry. Currently, there are only two choices : Android or iOS. Being in the I.T. field, it's much easier to manage and control the latter. With that said, it would be nice to have more professional options vs a talking p**p emoji.

EXACTLY!!! Thank you.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I will repost the same response again just for you . When I hit share on the PDF i get two options. Mail and Print.

When I hit the share button it on a pdf, one of my choices is iMessage. Just tried it and it worked. Am I missing something? This is on iOS 12. Never tried it before.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

While I agree the iPhone is no BlackBerry, I think you’re exaggerating a bit. If you think the iPhone is only about emoji, you’re not looking hard enough. I would say it’s a blend between a consumer and business device.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

And I’ll post this again just for you. You’re exaggerating (laying it on thick) and most likely lying because your forte here has been to talk about how much you dislike emojis and blah blah. The supposed “can’t send a message through a PDF” is just the avenue you take to complain about the emoji thing that you just can’t seem to ignore for some reason.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
When I hit the share button it on a pdf, one of my choices is iMessage. Just tried it and it worked. Am I missing something? This is on iOS 12. Never tried it before.

I just did the same thing on iOS 11 and the option for iMessage is indeed there and indeed works. Not sure what the OP is complaining about unless I have no idea what he's talking about. I can send or receive.
97f6c18e29aff44f1fc23e74d92af089.png