iOS 12 Developer Beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
WiFi radio drains the battery? If I’m at home and have a reliable connection to my WiFi why would that drain the battery? Even if I had unlimited data I’d take a reliable and speedy WiFi connection over cellular data since the radio for cellular is constantly trying to keep as good as connection as it can to a tower. That drains battery, in my experience.

I agree. Cellular connection drains battery at a higher rate than the wifi radio does. But my cellular connection is always greater than my WiFi connection so I prefer to operate on the cellular network. This being the case, it seems pointless to leave the WiFi radio enabled when I'm not going to use it. I would imagine my device searching for available networks does have adverse affects on the battery. Even if marginal ones.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Cellular connection drains battery at a higher rate than the wifi radio does. But my cellular connection is always greater than my WiFi connection so I prefer to operate on the cellular network. This being the case, it seems pointless to leave the WiFi radio enabled when I'm not going to use it. I would imagine my device searching for available networks does have adverse affects on the battery. Even if marginal ones.

However, since leaving WiFi on is used for location services (through triangulation of location of known WiFi access points), and the GPS radio is much worse on battery than WiFi (it can take minutes to get a full lock with three satellites, and as you move it is constantly re-connecting), it might be better on battery to leave WiFi on. (That said, cell radio locations are also used for assisted GPS/location services, so it may be about the same.)

I also always turn off "ask to join networks" so I don't get prompted all the time. But I don't think that the BT and WiFi radios use all that much power when you are not actually connected. But if you are paranoid about somebody tracking you via the WiFi MAC address, maybe it's better to leave off (but then I would hope you leave off the cellular radio, because that's a dead giveaway.)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Now getting the double empty music player. Never had this happen on beta 1. I’m seeing many people talk about this on their YouTube reviews of beta 2. I really hope this is fixed in beta 3 because my notifications get buried under this and only way to get rid of it is a reboot. I had less issues with beta 1 overall.
868bd9f86f21be098ca78e51f3032833.png

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Now getting the double empty music player. Never had this happen on beta 1. I’m seeing many people talk about this on their YouTube reviews of beta 2. I really hope this is fixed in beta 3 because my notifications get buried under this and only way to get rid of it is a reboot. I had less issues with beta 1 overall.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180629/868bd9f86f21be098ca78e51f3032833.png

Maybe it’s only on the iPhone X? I have yet to experience this on my 7 Plus.

craigrn16

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Is there a trick to this GPS. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it's completely crappy. Beta 2 didn't fix anything. I am wondering if I should do a full reset and start fresh but I read a Reddit post from someone that did that and it didn't work

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there a trick to this GPS. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it's completely crappy. Beta 2 didn't fix anything. I am wondering if I should do a full reset and start fresh but I read a Reddit post from someone that did that and it didn't work
I don't know about a trick because I've only experienced the sporadic GPS issue once in a rented U-Haul van driving to Tampa from Orlando and back. Of course I didn't need the turn-by-turn navigation to get to Tampa because I've been there numerous times. Anyway, after I returned and got inside my own car, I didn't have any more GPS-related issues.

craigrn16

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I don't know about a trick because I've only experienced the sporadic GPS issue once in a rented U-Haul van driving to Tampa from Orlando and back. Of course I didn't need the turn-by-turn navigation to get to Tampa because I've been there numerous times. Anyway, after I returned and got inside my own car, I didn't have any more GPS-related issues.

My GPS just changes whether it wants apparently. One day it's perfect the next day it's useless.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
My GPS just changes whether it wants apparently. One day it's perfect the next day it's useless.

The GPS issue was worse for me on b1. On b2, the arrow seems to point in the wrong direction at first and doesn’t really move. After a few seconds, it kind of moves, but still points in the wrong direction. After about 1-3mins, then it points in the right direction and everything works fine. However, the other day I was sitting at a stop light and the arrow was spinning around as if trying to find which direction I was suppose to go/having trouble locking on to my position.

craigrn16

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
The GPS issue was worse for me on b1. On b2, the arrow seems to point in the wrong direction at first and doesn’t really move. After a few seconds, it kind of moves, but still points in the wrong direction. After about 1-3mins, then it points in the right direction and everything works fine. However, the other day I was sitting at a stop light and the arrow was spinning around as if trying to find which direction I was suppose to go/having trouble locking on to my position.

That's what happens to me but all day today it didn't lock at all and I really needed it. I usually have my Pixel as a back up but today I forgot it and was left frustrated

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
That's what happens to me but all day today it didn't lock at all and I really needed it. I usually have my Pixel as a back up but today I forgot it and was left frustrated

I haven’t tried it with b2, but with b1 I know even Google Maps had GPS issues for me. Any other location services don’t seem to have any problems.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Restores can fix issues. But it doesn’t fix bugs. The GPS thing is a real bug. It’s random. Doesn’t always have issues but yesterday at one point it was about 2 miles off for me.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
For the GPS, people have had success downgrading to 11.4 then reinstalling beta 2, as for myself, as stated in a previous comment, leaving the wifi radio on keeps my location accurate so GPS works.

Status
Not open for further replies.