I don't like using links on forums but do have a gander here....semantics can be tricky...so be careful....time will probably tell...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/10/1...o-use-security

That link ( the verge.com) was one of several which leaned towards my interpretation ( as was Forbes, but I normally find them simply too negative about anything to be credible) Where they said 'Apple wants' I read between the lines that Apple wants the whole issue to quietly go away, which is why the low key approach. But to me 'green' means on, which means 'enabled' which means 'active' which doesn't seem the case here....
    Making that toggle green means allowing usb accessories to connect to the device without user interaction.
    Making that toggle white means that you have to enter passcode for accessories to connect.

I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make here
    07-17-2018 02:46 PM
    I do hope that in iOS 12 the default will be to be more secure rather than less. If you want to access your phone with USB peripherals if this is the default, you merely need to unlock it.

In this case, green/on does mean active - it means that USB accessories can connect to the phone. Off means that the data path to USB is turned off after the phone is locked for an hour, and the lightning port can be used only for charging (not sure about headphones; Apple doesn't say, and I haven't tested, though I don't often use lightning headphones, and I just installed 11.4.1 this morning.)

But, rather than believe what The Verge says, you can read Apple's support page about it: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208857
    07-17-2018 03:00 PM
    Correct - point I'm trying to make is that in an ideal world - 'On' & 'Green' mean active / enabled (the security feature, not the port) whereas 'White' & 'Off' would mean feature is disabled and essentially 'the way things were before'. I do not think that is the case....
    07-17-2018 03:03 PM
    Correct - point I'm trying to make is that in an ideal world - 'On' & 'Green' mean active / enabled (the security feature, not the port) whereas 'White' & 'Off' would mean feature is disabled and essentially 'the way things were before'. I do not think that is the case....
    Security is just a byproduct of that toggle. The toggle itself is to allow or disallow usb accessories to connect to the device.

If it said USB security, rather than USB accessories, all points you made would have been valid. Now it is not.
    07-17-2018 03:23 PM
    So -your switch is GREEN..... Are you 'more secure' from prying thieves ( or police) or less.....The 'port' is now accessible no matter how long the phone has been dormant... What I think we have in semantics is a double negative making a positive ie like a door being 'not unlocked' can only be 'locked'. If we consider the 'new feature' -timeout on the USB accessories- then 'on / green' should imply 'more secure' which is not the situation in this version.
    07-17-2018 03:36 PM
    So -your switch is GREEN..... Are you 'more secure' from prying thieves ( or police) or less.....The 'port' is now accessible no matter how long the phone has been dormant... What I think we have in semantics is a double negative making a positive ie like a door being 'not unlocked' can only be 'locked'. If we consider the 'new feature' -timeout on the USB accessories- then 'on / green' should imply 'more secure' which is not the situation in this version.
    Let’s agree to disagree.

I see it for what it is. Green is let accessories have access to data on the device. I’m not pondering about what else it may or should mean.

I’m in Europe. So if the the front door is closed, it can’t be opened from the outside without a key. Locking the door is just an extra measure to keep out thieves.
    I don’t lock my front door, ever.
    07-17-2018 03:49 PM
    Apple is not calling it a "security feature". The setting is within a group of settings that control what you can do when the phone is locked, so it is essentially asking, "Do you want to connect USB peripherals when the phone is locked?" Yes means that you do, no means that you do not. I'm not sure why it matters whether on means more secure or not. With all of those settings, the phone is more secure when the setting is off. (For example, I have "today view", "control center", "reply with message", and "usb accessories" all turned off, because I don't want anybody to see private data if they pick up my phone (today view), or have the ability to toggle any settings (control center) or definitely reply to any of my text messages or attach any USB peripherals.)

It would be odd to have one setting in that grouping have "on" mean that the phone is more secure when the rest are the opposite.
    07-17-2018 08:59 PM
    Didn’t think it was very quick, and it does not seem to make much difference.
    07-18-2018 06:00 PM
    After 8 days with iOS 11.4.1 on my iPhone 7 Plus, I'm less than pleased with the battery life. Battery life was much better on iOS 10.3.3.
    07-19-2018 10:33 AM
    After 8 days with iOS 11.4.1 on my iPhone 7 Plus, I'm less than pleased with the battery life. Battery life was much better on iOS 10.3.3.
    I’ve been telling you for ages to get on the betas.
    07-19-2018 11:27 AM
    I’ve been telling you for ages to get on the betas.
    Humm, interesting because with the exception of iOS 11 beta I've always been on betas. No you have not been telling me for "ages" because if I'm not mistaken I have been doing betas way before you...LOL . I started doing betas back in my Blackberry days.
    pr1nce and Annie_8plus like this.
    07-19-2018 11:45 AM
    Humm, interesting because with the exception of iOS 11 beta I've always been on betas. No you have not been telling me for "ages" because if I'm not mistaken I have been doing betas way before you...LOL . I started doing betas back in my Blackberry days.
    Regardless, get on iOS 12.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    07-19-2018 12:59 PM
    07-19-2018 04:34 PM
    07-19-2018 05:24 PM
    Updated my iPad Pro tonight 125 GB tonight.So far so good.
    07-26-2018 12:21 AM
    No issues with 11.4.1 ?
    07-26-2018 09:50 AM
    That is exactly what has prevented me from updating to 11.4.1
    07-26-2018 09:58 AM
    That is exactly what has prevented me from updating to 11.4.1
    Well, to be honest it has improved and it's not that bad anymore, but still not on the level on iOS 10.3.3
    07-26-2018 10:00 AM
    Does anyone know a way to disable the camera while the phone is locked without totally disabling the camera app? Thank you.
    09-08-2018 09:29 AM
    Does anyone know a way to disable the camera while the phone is locked without totally disabling the camera app? Thank you.
    Disable 3D Touch in the Settings.
    09-08-2018 09:37 AM
    I disabled it in settings -> accessibility but there was no effect. Am I doing something wrong? I am new to iOS.
    Thank you for your time.
    09-09-2018 01:11 AM
    I disabled it in settings -> accessibility but there was no effect. Am I doing something wrong? I am new to iOS.
    Thank you for your time.
    You’re not doing anything wrong.
    There is no such Setting in iOS to disable camera access by swiping left in Locked mode.
    09-09-2018 01:31 AM
    Oh I see... Thank you. Maybe they should think about it in a future release.
    09-09-2018 02:31 AM
48 12