iMessage in iCloud-What is the point?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Re: iMessage in iCloud-What os the point?

But new messages do/did sync already with the Mac. So there has to be some cloud hocus pocus going on already. Maybe not through iCloud though.

So “cloud hocus pocus” that is “not through iCloud”. Talk about speculation and conjecture.

It’s device by device before 11.4 which is also explained by Rene in the video I provided. That is actual fact. You don’t even need him to explain it. The information is out there if you take the time to actually research it. You shouldn’t come ask amateurs on a forum to do your library research if their explanations don’t work for you.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

But new messages do/did sync already with the Mac. So there has to be some cloud hocus pocus going on already. Maybe not through iCloud though.

Not on my Mac. I go back and forth with iMessage on the Mac, turning it on when I want to send messages and off because I don't want to use the Mac as a message machine otherwise, so my message store on the Mac is a gobbledy-gook of what is on my iPhone and iPad.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site

That was indeed not the very first thing he said. He explained it thoroughly and said he had it going since the betas.

It’s better that you’re not enlightened though. It’s much better for people like yourself who don’t understand it even with great explanation to keep it off. Thanks.

„So if I turn this switch on....?“
„I haven’t actually tried that, but what it should do is.....“.

Great explanation, based upon guessing what it is. At the time when I watched this video, even someone like myself already had tried and figured out what the switch did. Thanks.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Simply to say, with this new deature, our ios and mac devices’s messages will be merged all to icloud, meaning, we can read the messages from all devices and can be restore to new reset or new set up devices.

in some way, is the same with “forward imessages” feature

So should I turn it (forward feature) off ? Will it doubling my messages on icloud if I don’t turn it off ?

Anyone knows this feature will be available for ios10 as well ? (Older iphone), since I don’t get any update

We need to turn on two factor auth. to use this feature ?

Thx

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So should I turn it (forward feature) off ? Will it doubling my messages on icloud if I don’t turn it off ?

Good question, because only iPhone can get SMS messages. I'm not sure if they sync to Messages in iCloud.

We need to turn on two factor auth. to use this feature ?

Yes. But I thought you needed 2FA for iOS 11 and High Sierra anyway?

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Good question, because only iPhone can get SMS messages. I'm not sure if they sync to Messages in iCloud.

Yes. But I thought you needed 2FA for iOS 11 and High Sierra anyway?

I absolutely need the fwd message (banking usage) from my #1st iphone to mac and to #2nd iphone

I’m not using 2FA on all my devices (with latest os)

And now they are forcing me to use 2FA to activate icloud imessage, which i’m still considerating

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely need the fwd message (banking usage) from my #1st iphone to mac and to #2nd iphone

I’m not using 2FA on all my devices (with latest os)

And now they are forcing me to use 2FA to activate icloud imessage, which i’m still considerating

No, what I mean is that once you have messages in iCloud, which should sync all messages, whether forwarding sms is still required. I still have it on, but, if all messages sync, you’d think that it wouldn’t be required.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
No, what I mean is that once you have messages in iCloud, which should sync all messages, whether forwarding sms is still required. I still have it on, but, if all messages sync, you’d think that it wouldn’t be required.

Oh ok, i see, i tried to googling and can’t find anyone asking or discussing regarding this

Mar 26, 2018
Visit site
One major plus is deletion across devices. Use to be incredibly annoying to delete messages from my phone and then have to delete them from my watch separately. Now they stay synced.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
One major plus is deletion across devices. Use to be incredibly annoying to delete messages from my phone and then have to delete them from my watch separately. Now they stay synced.

Well, not yet, from the watch. (There is no syncing with iCloud for Apple Watch.)

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site

This is a great book, thanks for the hint. It also contains sections on the new features.Will attach related screenshots.
But I'll keep a part of my criticism alive. 1. a user has to know that such a book exists and where to find it. 2. it is VERY comprehensive (basically a good thing), so you would probably not know what to look for when new versions arrive and 3. this thing with 'why has the phone to be on charger to upload old messages, and when and how often and what for will that be needed' does not really get explained and the fact that these older messages will only show on newly set up phones only gets clear if you read very very carefully, because it's not obvious that 'new' really means NEW, ie a newly purchased or freshly resetted device, and on a first read, this could also be understood as 'ok I start a conversation on device A and continue on the "new/other" device B, providing iCloud on device B is on too'.
Maybe my main point is this: even if I had known this manual, it would not have answered my questions on the new feature sufficiently, and I think I would have still started this thread. Some of the contributions show that I'm not alone.
So I would like to rephrase my request to why have these companies given up releasing change logs together with new features, to explain in 4 or 5 easy to read lines what these features are doing?
But maybe this also exists somewhere? What I have seen though is a log on security updates. An yes, it was stated the iOS update contains 'messages in iCloud', but not how the new feature will work, and not, how it differs from the previous version.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-02 um 14.01.47.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-02 um 14.05.26.png

Mar 26, 2018
Visit site
Well, not yet, from the watch. (There is no syncing with iCloud for Apple Watch.)

If your Apple Watch shows up in your iCloud Devices there should be no problem here. It’s my understanding if you delete an iMessage on any device it will delete on all devices using the same Apple ID. That’s the way I understand it. That said, may require a Watch update. Currently using FitBit Ionic but will switch to my Series 3 and check it out.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, of course I meant that there is no syncing of *messages* with iCloud on Apple Watch yet. Deletions will not sync between other devices and Apple Watch until Apple releases a version of watchOS that supports messages in iCloud. iPhone, iPad, and now macOS High Sierra are supported.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Your'e right. But for me, the benefit is that discussions are getting started, if posting here.

You misunderstand. I'm not implying that you stop posting here. But I did imply that changes are not going to come unless you let Apple know directly... they do not read these forums.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR