No notifications of new mail in folders?

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Bull. Anyone using outlook on the desktop who has folders set up will be using some forms of message rules.

A calendar should give you a good idea of when you have free or busy times coming up.

Anyone taking photos say of equipment in the field benefits from being able to tag them with a description of some sort.

Apple's arrogance clearly shines through every aspect of this phone.

Please tell me there's a way to silence the "SMS sent" sound without having to silence the whole device?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, if you are within 14 days, return the phone for a refund. You bought the wrong device for you. If you're not within 14 days, you may even want to take the loss on selling it ASAP. It isn't worth the complaining you are doing over a smartphone, so get the one that works for you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Tell me again why business users find iPhone appealing?
It obviously suits some business users’ needs. Of course, there are some business users who need something more. Thankfully, there are 3rd-party choices available to suit an assortment of needs.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Something odd about having to buy a 3rd party calendar on a phone the price of the X.

Nope. That’s not odd at all. Regardless of platform, if there’s an App Store that sells apps created by developers, there will always be a desire to create something better than the native apps.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple's arrogance clearly shines through every aspect of this phone.

Oh I see......You are another non-Apple fan to come along to stir the pot in the form of making comparisons about what the iPhone can’t do in comparison to your preferred brand. We already know that the iPhone or Apple will never appeal to everyone and we already know that folks like you will come here to an Apple-centric site to make sure we all know that the iPhone we choose to use pales in comparison to the one you prefer. We do not care!

Now in regard to Blackberry, many of us here at iMore are former Blackberry users. In fact, I’m probably one of RIM’s most loyal fanatics or at least I was. Blackberry, is all but gone.

With all its superiority, why isn’t it outselling the iPhone? Why isn’t it the most widely used mobile platform like Android? Why are businesses who were once flooded with Blackberry devices now flooded with iPhones?

Are they all stupid or are they smart enough to make use of their iPhones whether with native apps, 3rd-party apps or a combination of both?

Does the iPhone fit one’s smartphone and business needs? Some will say yes and some will say no, and since misery loves company, the rest spend their time spewing horse manure in a forum full of people who prefer Apple products and services instead of contacting Apple directly. Does that about sum it up?

Last edited:

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Right, I dropped $1300 on a new phone just so I could come here and whine about it.

The problem with fanboys is they rarely speak up about a device's shortcomings. In their mind, Apple can do no wrong and needs no improvement. Everything is perfect, and they line up at the Apple store in the pouring rain 24hrs ahead of every launch for the next big product.

True brand fans will look at a product objectively, identify weaknesses and voice their feedback.

Why isn't BlackBerry ahead? It's clear they failed to innovate and gain developer support, but by the time people realized their iPhones lacked basic features such as copy and paste they were already getting locked into the ecosystem by the Apple marketing machine.

I'm sorry I came here passionately looking for help on features I thought would be standard on these devices by now. I've taken flack from Apple fans for years for not "getting with the times" and now I'm here, a $1300 iPhone X later and now I still get crapped on by Apple fans. I just can't win.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Right, I dropped $1300 on a new phone just so I could come here and whine about it.

The problem with fanboys is they rarely speak up about a device's shortcomings. In their mind, Apple can do no wrong and needs no improvement. Everything is perfect, and they line up at the Apple store in the pouring rain 24hrs ahead of every launch for the next big product.

True brand fans will look at a product objectively, identify weaknesses and voice their feedback.

Why isn't BlackBerry ahead? It's clear they failed to innovate and gain developer support, but by the time people realized their iPhones lacked basic features such as copy and paste they were already getting locked into the ecosystem by the Apple marketing machine.

I'm sorry I came here passionately looking for help on features I thought would be standard on these devices by now. I've taken flack from Apple fans for years for not "getting with the times" and now I'm here, a $1300 iPhone X later and now I still get crapped on by Apple fans. I just can't win.
You’re not getting crapped on at all. You’re receiving exactly what you’re putting out. Here at iMore, we are very quick to offer assistance on how to use your Apple products and services, but we can’t help those who aren’t really here to be helped. If you’re smart enough to use a Blackberry device and know that the user experience on an iPhone is different from what you’re used to or different from what you prefer then you’re smart enough, or at least should be smart enough, to be able to figure out how to best make your $1300 smartphone work in your favor.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry I came here passionately looking for help on features I thought would be standard on these devices by now.

But when people suggest alternatives, you just complain on the alternatives. You complain about Apple not supporting basic features, but aren't complaining about Microsoft also not supporting folder notifications for the app that they make specifically to connect to your Exchange email account. You mention spending $1300 on a phone, but when somebody suggests a $5 calendar app, you reject it as too expensive.

If you want to edit photo names, use a service like Dropbox or OneDrive which automatically uploads photos from the iPhone to their service. (They all support this.) I know for sure that you can manage and rename the photos within OneDrive and DropBox apps on the iPhone, or you can sync photos to a computer and manage your photos there (including renaming them.) I would also suggest Google Photos is the same (not sure about renaming), or Google Drive, and Google Photos allows unlimited uploads of photos to their service, but you've already said that you don't want to be Google's product. So, I guess it's pay for DropBox or OneDrive or Box (not sure about that one.)

Or, like I said, please return the phone already and get a better phone for you.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
But when people suggest alternatives, you just complain on the alternatives. You complain about Apple not supporting basic features, but aren't complaining about Microsoft also not supporting folder notifications for the app that they make specifically to connect to your Exchange email account. You mention spending $1300 on a phone, but when somebody suggests a $5 calendar app, you reject it as too expensive.

If you want to edit photo names, use a service like Dropbox or OneDrive which automatically uploads photos from the iPhone to their service. (They all support this.) I know for sure that you can manage and rename the photos within OneDrive and DropBox apps on the iPhone, or you can sync photos to a computer and manage your photos there (including renaming them.) I would also suggest Google Photos is the same (not sure about renaming), or Google Drive, and Google Photos allows unlimited uploads of photos to their service, but you've already said that you don't want to be Google's product. So, I guess it's pay for DropBox or OneDrive or Box (not sure about that one.)

Or, like I said, please return the phone already and get a better phone for you.

Yes, you can rename photos in Box. And I was wrong about photos taken with the device not retaining the new name. They do. They used to not.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

No one is "crapping" on you. We're trying to help you see how you can fulfill your needs with the iPhone. But in your case, it will take a few 3rd party apps. I have Fantastical 2 and Calendars by Readdle. But don't use them, because the stock Calendar suits my needs, as it does for millions of other users. Many of the 3rd party apps are great. Research them, and see which ones suit your needs. In time, you will adapt to doing things the iPhone way. And if you need help or suggestions, we'll be here.

TKaay

Sep 11, 2018
Visit site
If I'm reading the problem correctly, you have rules created in Outlook server side to filter incoming mail to folders and you want to be notified when a new email comes into the folder?

I have a similar setup and the iPhone mail app supports notifications for folders (this seems to be broken in the ios12 beta but worked perfectly in ios11)

Let me know if you haven't found out how to do this already and I can share how to enable this

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Ah. Thanks for that.

And thanks for that, Apple. The list of things my BlackBerry does that my iPhone X doesn't is quite interesting. I'll save my rant about Apple's arrogance for later.

it took Apple 10 years to get gestures. Patience please

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
If I'm reading the problem correctly, you have rules created in Outlook server side to filter incoming mail to folders and you want to be notified when a new email comes into the folder?

I have a similar setup and the iPhone mail app supports notifications for folders (this seems to be broken in the ios12 beta but worked perfectly in ios11)

Let me know if you haven't found out how to do this already and I can share how to enable this

I'd be real interested in knowing how to do this. One of the mail glitches that drives me insane.

TKaay

Sep 11, 2018
Visit site
I'd be real interested in knowing how to do this. One of the mail glitches that drives me insane.

Follow these steps on iOS 11:
-Go to Accounts & Passwords in your settings app
-Click on 'Fetch New Data'
-Select your Outlook account
-Check all the folders you want to be notified for

Each folder you select will get a small check mark next to it. These folders will be the ones that you will receive notifications for as mail will be pushed to these folders automatically

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Follow these steps on iOS 11:
-Go to Accounts & Passwords in your settings app
-Click on 'Fetch New Data'
-Select your Outlook account
-Check all the folders you want to be notified for

Each folder you select will get a small check mark next to it. These folders will be the ones that you will receive notifications for as mail will be pushed to these folders automatically

I cant thank you enough for that. I never knew that was available.

TKaay

Sep 11, 2018
Visit site
No worries. I found this after a lot of searching not long ago

Just keep in mind it doesn't work on ios12 beta...at least on my iPhone 8 plus. Hopefully it's fixed soon

gazoo777

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
No worries. I found this after a lot of searching not long ago

Just keep in mind it doesn't work on ios12 beta...at least on my iPhone 8 plus. Hopefully it's fixed soon

I created an account on here just to let you know that I figured it out with ios12. From the mail app, you have to click on "edit" when looking at your folders at the top of the screen, then "add mailbox" and add the folders you want. Next go to Settings > Notifications > Mail and you will see "Favorite Mailboxes" (which wasn't there before you added the folders in mail) and now you can enable alerts for those folders. :)

jminiman

Sep 21, 2018
Visit site
I created an account on here just to let you know that I figured it out with ios12. From the mail app, you have to click on "edit" when looking at your folders at the top of the screen, then "add mailbox" and add the folders you want. Next go to Settings > Notifications > Mail and you will see "Favorite Mailboxes" (which wasn't there before you added the folders in mail) and now you can enable alerts for those folders. :)

After you complete this step, do you now have your folders displayed twice in your main window in Mail? Or can you remove those favorite folders and keep the Favorite Mailbox folder notifications?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73