No notifications of new mail in folders?

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
In the iOS mail app, you get the little red dot with the number of new messages displayed by the mail icon.

This Badge App Icon doesn't seem to display for when new messages arrive in a folder. How do I enable this? Account is Outlook.com.

Thanks.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
In the iOS mail app, you get the little red dot with the number of new messages displayed by the mail icon.

This Badge App Icon doesn't seem to display for when new messages arrive in a folder. How do I enable this? Account is Outlook.com.

Thanks.

Try going to Settings>Mail>Outlook>Notifications. Turn Badges off and then back on.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Folders wont show up in your notifications. If you want that feature you should use the Outlook app for the iPhone then you will have more folder notification options. The default Mail.app will only show notifications for the inbox and not nested folders.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Folders wont show up in your notifications. If you want that feature you should use the Outlook app for the iPhone then you will have more folder notification options. The default Mail.app will only show notifications for the inbox and not nested folders.

Thanks for that. Wasn't sure if they'd show up or not as I place emails in folders after they go into my main mailbox if need be.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site

Ah. Thanks for that.

And thanks for that, Apple. The list of things my BlackBerry does that my iPhone X doesn't is quite interesting. I'll save my rant about Apple's arrogance for later.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, doesn't appear the Outlook app is giving me the red icon notification when a new message appears in a folder either.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, doesn't appear the Outlook app is giving me the red icon notification when a new message appears in a folder either.

On iOS, mail comes in on the inbox. You have to add them to a folder. You can create folders. Also, for important mail, you can set up VIP. You can add any of your contacts to VIP. The notifications for VIP are separate from the other inboxes.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I can't be the only person who makes extensive use of message rules to automatically sort messages into folders based on various criteria.

These rules are applied server-side (Outlook on the desktop syncs these rules to the server), so when mail comes into iOS mail, it's already sorted on the server. I want to know when there's new mail, regardless of what folder it comes into.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't be the only person who makes extensive use of message rules to automatically sort messages into folders based on various criteria.

These rules are applied server-side (Outlook on the desktop syncs these rules to the server), so when mail comes into iOS mail, it's already sorted on the server. I want to know when there's new mail, regardless of what folder it comes into.

Your mail comes in on the inbox, and you should get notifications when they do. Be sure your notifications for mail is set how you want in settlngs > Notifications. Also, some in iOS Mail don't use push. They use Fetch. So you need to set fetch how you want it in settlngs. Outlook uses push I think.
e59633ebb1b0ae4c441d93487f83cfa6.jpg

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Your mail comes in on the inbox, and you should get notifications when they do. Be sure your notifications for mail is set how you want in settlngs > Notifications. Also, some in iOS Mail don't use push. They use Fetch. So you need to set fetch how you want it in settlngs. Outlook uses push I think.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180520/e59633ebb1b0ae4c441d93487f83cfa6.jpg

Nope, my email comes in directly into the folders the server side mail rules sorts them into. Inbox is just technically a folder within a mailbox.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

You are not. However, I know that this doesn't help you, but the Google InBox app lets you get notifications for particular folders (or labels, as Google calls them), but it works for Google accounts only. Of course, the stock Gmail app can do this for Gmail accounts as well, though not if you skip the in box. Still, you can have rules apply labels to incoming messages and when you archive a message that you want to keep, it keeps the label.

I've looked at some other email apps (Spark, Edison) but I don't think either of them lets you get notified of email sorted into folders by server side rules.

If you must get notifications for these emails, I suggest using copy rules on the server side to copy mail to folders rather than move rules. But, of course, that means cleaning up your inbox all of the time.

Or, switch to Gmail?

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I chose iPhone because I didn’t want I be google’s product. Not switching to gmail.

Yikes, this keyboard is sad.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Nope, my email comes in directly into the folders the server side mail rules sorts them into. Inbox is just technically a folder within a mailbox.

All my mail comes directly in my inbox. None, except spam, come in direct to folders. Not sure how that's done on iOS Mail.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
In the history of email I don't think I've ever came across a solution to getting notifications when rules are enabled to have certain all go into specified folders. Notifications work for the inbox but I don't see a way for them to work on sub folders.

Unless the specific mail server allows it.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Yup, already did. I think Apple is too interested in building out Animoji than making the email experience better.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
A lot of the senders aren't in my contacts and the mail rules are set up to file based on keywords in the sender/subject line.

I can't believe people would rather sit there and file 100 emails a day than have rules take care of it all.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro