Limit Ad Tracking - did you notice?

Slash82

May 8, 2018
Visit site
Hey friends,

I like to set my privacy settings as high as possible with my devices.

So, it's a "no brainer" that I want to limit ad tracking and I'm thankful there is that option.

Since update to 11.3 I noticed some strange behavior.
It keeps turning off by itself.
Sometimes my configuration (set to "on") will last some days until it turns off by itself. And sometimes it turns "off" itself multiple times a day.
I don't know why this is happening.

So I ended checking that setting a couple of times a day, which is kinda annoying.

Same behavior on my iPad since 11.3.
With 11.3.1 it got a bit better, but still it keeps turning off by itself.

Anyone of you know/realized/experiencing that problem?
What causes that?
Is there a fix?

Thanks for all your replies!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Limit as tracking seems to be staying put for me. I’m on the 11.4 beta so maybe that makes a difference but I’m not sure. As a moderator I watch this forum pretty closely and I don’t remember seeing anyone else reporting the same issue.

Slash82

May 8, 2018
Visit site
Limit as tracking seems to be staying put for me. I’m on the 11.4 beta so maybe that makes a difference but I’m not sure. As a moderator I watch this forum pretty closely and I don’t remember seeing anyone else reporting the same issue.
Thank you for your reply!
This problem just appeared after the upgrade to 11.3. (now ongoing on 11.3.1).
With 11.2.x everything went fine.

As I mentioned, not just a problem on my iPhone, also on my iPad.

Really strange, what causes that....

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This problem just appeared after the upgrade to 11.3. (now ongoing on 11.3.1).
With 11.2.x everything went fine.

As I mentioned, not just a problem on my iPhone, also on my iPad.

Really strange, what causes that....

Mine stays in place, but I have it set in the Restrictions settings to not allow any changes to it. You can do the same.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How does that work?

Sorry for that question - I’m still pretty new to iOS.

Go to Settings → General, and then enable restrictions. You will have to set a passcode to prevent someone else from entering the restrictions settings.

Afterwards, scroll down and select “Advertising” and then select “Don’t Allow Changes”.

Slash82

May 8, 2018
Visit site
Go to Settings → General, and then enable restrictions. You will have to set a passcode to prevent someone else from entering the restrictions settings.

Afterwards, scroll down and select “Advertising” and then select “Don’t Allow Changes”.

Ok, wow!

Thank you!
Didn’t know that - I just changed and hope it will help!

Thanks so much!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully, the suggestion above works for you. But it shouldn't be doing that. Occasionally, I find a setting out of whack. I think it happens when I take actions like a hard reset (reboot) or when I delete cache on the phone. You might also try Reset All Settings, and set everything back up from scratch.

Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The setting remains on and "sticky" on both my iPad mini and iPhone X on 11.3.1. That said, I use Apple Configurator 2 to set a profile on my devices and that's one of the settings that I can force, which is much like the restrictions listed above. (Basically, this just saves me a few steps when I set up a device as new. Prevent Ad Tracking, disallow connecting to other iTunes devices, force encrypted backups, etc.)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey friends,

I like to set my privacy settings as high as possible with my devices.

So, it's a "no brainer" that I want to limit ad tracking and I'm thankful there is that option.

Since update to 11.3 I noticed some strange behavior.
It keeps turning off by itself.
Sometimes my configuration (set to "on") will last some days until it turns off by itself. And sometimes it turns "off" itself multiple times a day.
I don't know why this is happening.

So I ended checking that setting a couple of times a day, which is kinda annoying.

Same behavior on my iPad since 11.3.
With 11.3.1 it got a bit better, but still it keeps turning off by itself.

Anyone of you know/realized/experiencing that problem?
What causes that?
Is there a fix?

Thanks for all your replies!

When you "Limit ad tracking" in Settings, you will still get ads. They just won't be relevant to your interests. For me, it doesn't make any difference either way. I just don't want ads at all. So, I use an ad blocker for that. It's not 100%, but removes most.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The setting remains on and "sticky" on both my iPad mini and iPhone X on 11.3.1. That said, I use Apple Configurator 2 to set a profile on my devices and that's one of the settings that I can force, which is much like the restrictions listed above. (Basically, this just saves me a few steps when I set up a device as new. Prevent Ad Tracking, disallow connecting to other iTunes devices, force encrypted backups, etc.)

Yeah, Apple Configurator 2 is great for things like that.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
This happens to me regularly, always after an update, usually a major one, sometimes after a minor one. The ad tracking one will not be the only change I will have. I have accepted that I’ll have to go through Settings after an update to put changes back where they were. Also I lose the occasional phone number from contacts, but not so much recently.