Mail loses Trash Option...sometimes.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Is this a 'feature'?

Recently, there have occasions where with incoming mail (and it doesn't matter from which account), I've lost the ability to Trash it. On the opened email, the Trash icon is missing, and the Archive icon is there instead. Meanwhile, my swipe options have also lost the ability to Trash, replacing with Archive. Going to Settings > Mail > Swipe, and despite the instructions saying that Trash should be an option, its not there at all

This remains a problem for several emails and then, just as suddenly the option to Trash is there again. And then not.

Is there a method to this madness?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have never experienced anything like that. Which mail app is this occurring?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings >Mail > Accounts > your email account > Advanced > check Deleted Mailbox > Go back one page and tap Done in the top right.

7d8833f16214e00151d43c8db0372d0c.jpg

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have never experienced anything like that. Which mail app is this occurring?

It's the default Mail app in iOS.

Further experience offers an EDIT:
Gmail account: missing Trash icon when the email is opened, Swipe option offers More | Move | Archive.
iCloud account: operates as expected - the Trash icon appears, and Swipe offers More | Move | Archive as previously set.

Not sure what other email provider might be affected - I have an Outlook mail account, but hardly ever use it.

So, I'm not sure if this is an intentional 'feature' by Apple to encourage users to use iCloud, whether Gmail has recently done something to its 'new' Gmail that removes the option, or a new bug in Mail.

Whatever the case, it looks like I'll be swapping out to a 3rd Party app that doesn't have this issue.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings >Mail > Accounts > your email account > Advanced
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180503/7d8833f16214e00151d43c8db0372d0c.jpg

Following that path doesn't exist on my iPhone.
Did you mean Settings > Accounts & Passwords > (Account name) > Advanced > Mail > Advanced

Regardless, you sent me down the right rabbit hole! Trash messages had been set to Archive, not Trash. Changed that setting and got outta there - then sent myself an email to that account. Icon and Swipe now both present.

Huzzah!

Not sure why this happened, and I hope it 'sticks', but it's all good again. Thanks.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Could be a bug. I have the same setup, native Mail app and Gmail. Not seeing the problem, but due to the intermittent and random nature your are experiencing sounds like it could be a bug.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Did you mean Settings > Accounts & Passwords > (Account name) > Advanced > Mail > Advanced

Regardless, you sent me down the right rabbit hole! Trash messages had been set to Archive, not Trash. Changed that setting and got outta there - then sent myself an email to that account. Icon and Swipe now both present.

Huzzah!

Not sure why this happened, and I hope it 'sticks', but it's all good again. Thanks.

I'm on iOS 10.1.1. So, mine is different. Sorry.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Huzzah!

This happened because archiving by default is the default option for all Google/Gmail accounts. You do have to go into that option to change the default to trash. (Google really wants to encourage people to keep all of their crap mail for reasons that escape me, but probably have something to do with advertising based on metadata - sender, subject, etc. Google says that Gmail does not read actual messages for advertising anymore, but metadata is always available to your mail provider.)

mattguy10

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
Have to be honest, I know that you are just trying to be helpful, but maybe you should refrain from trying to answer people's questions about iOS 11 if you do not actually use it yourself.

Seriously? So to give another example besides a phone, if you were pumping gas into your car and a different model of the same brand of car pulled up to the pump right next to yours and they were having trouble figuring out how to open their gas door because it’s a new car they just bought and asked you for a hand, you’d reply with, “I don’t drive that model so I can’t help.”? It’s called lending a hand, being helpful, and a good person. After all this is an open forum and there are no rules saying you have to be using identical software to try and help someone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Have to be honest, I know that you are just trying to be helpful, but maybe you should refrain from trying to answer people's questions about iOS 11 if you do not actually use it yourself.

The OP mentioned nothing about iOS 11. As it was, he was able to figure it out with what I posted. You should pay more attention to what you post.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
100% serious. This is the iOS 11 forum, so every question should be assumed to be about iOS 11. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm not trying to make rules, everybody has a right to post anything that meets the forum rules, it's great that people try to be helpful, but I do think that when you are posting in an iOS 11 forum you should be posting an iOS 11 solution; if not, prefacing that you don't use iOS 11, this is how I do it on iOS 10, maybe that will be helpful. My 2 cents.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
100% serious. This is the iOS 11 forum, so every question should be assumed to be about iOS 11. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm not trying to make rules, everybody has a right to post anything that meets the forum rules, it's great that people try to be helpful, but I do think that when you are posting in an iOS 11 forum you should be posting an iOS 11 solution; if not, prefacing that you don't use iOS 11, this is how I do it on iOS 10, maybe that will be helpful. My 2 cents.

My 2¢ is I offered a solution. He found his problem with my solution. Why you have an issue with that is beyond me. If you have a different solution than what I offer, then post it. But don't criticize me for offering a solution that led to the OP solving his problem.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Seriously? So to give another example besides a phone, if you were pumping gas into your car and a different model of the same brand of car pulled up to the pump right next to yours and they were having trouble figuring out how to open their gas door because it’s a new car they just bought and asked you for a hand, you’d reply with, “I don’t drive that model so I can’t help.”? It’s called lending a hand, being helpful, and a good person. After all this is an open forum and there are no rules saying you have to be using identical software to try and help someone.

That is assuming that those two models of cars take the exact same formula of gas, or similar enough formula to not really matter much, which isn’t always the case.

mattguy10

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
That is assuming that those two models of cars take the exact same formula of gas, or similar enough formula to not really matter much, which isn’t always the case.

YUP there it is! There’s always one in the bunch! You and doogald must be related, so actually that’d make two. What you said makes no sense in relation to what I said earlier but

My whole point was that not EVERYTHING needs to be IDENTICAL to offer someone help.

Anyways, done with this nonsense.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

YUP there it is! There’s always one in the bunch! You and doogald must be related, so actually that’d make two. What you said makes no sense in relation to what I said earlier but

My whole point was that not EVERYTHING needs to be IDENTICAL to offer someone help.

Anyways, done with this nonsense.

I knew it was a little different in iOS 11, but I didn't want to ask to see it on my Wife's iPhone 7 that has 11. She thinks I'm snooping when I do that. But I have several times. Just didn't see it was neccessary with this issue. I knew the OP would figure it out with what I offered. He's been around a while.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2