iOS 11.3 causing messages problem

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Since upgrading to iOS 11.3 I now have a problem with the messages app. One friend who is now also using iOS 11.3 doesn’t have data on his plan and thus has his messages app to not use iMessages and instead is set to sms text messages. Prior to iOS 11.3 whenever I would text him it would go through as a sms text message in a green box. Since iOS 11.3 all his texts get sent as a blue box iMessage so he no longer receives the messages. Intermittently if I long press the blue text message I can try resending as a text message, but that doesn’t reliably come up as an option, mostly it doesn’t come up.

Any ideas as to why this is occurring? I assume that iOS 11.3 has introduced a new bug.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
As long as you have this setting enabled in Messages, then your device is sending as text if iMessage isn't available. Also if you're sending to someone with no data plan, then that receiving person may be replying on a wifi connection.

676703e564d9820f9b06116cd2b84cc4.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since upgrading to iOS 11.3 I now have a problem with the messages app. One friend who is now also using iOS 11.3 doesn’t have data on his plan and thus has his messages app to not use iMessages and instead is set to sms text messages. Prior to iOS 11.3 whenever I would text him it would go through as a sms text message in a green box. Since iOS 11.3 all his texts get sent as a blue box iMessage so he no longer receives the messages. Intermittently if I long press the blue text message I can try resending as a text message, but that doesn’t reliably come up as an option, mostly it doesn’t come up.

Any ideas as to why this is occurring? I assume that iOS 11.3 has introduced a new bug.

If your friend does not have a "data plan", why doesn’t he use his Apple ID to send and receive "iMessages"? Although "SMS' messages do not require a "data plan", if you're trying to send a photo or something that person is going to have to send it as an "iMessage".

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If your friend does not have a "data plan", why does he use his Apple ID to send and receive "iMessages"? Although "SMS' messages do not require a "data plan", if you're trying to send a photo or something that person is going to have to send it as an "iMessage".
FYI, OP says that the friend is *not* using iMessage. People who do not have iMessage turned on can send and receive MMS messages to send media or to participate in group messages (and then all members of the group will receive as MMS) so long as those options are turned on.

Maybe OP's friend can try to use the Apple online method to de-regsiter the phone number from iMessage? See https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

If that doesn't work, I think that this is a problem that's worth investigating with Apple, either by calling AppleCare or visiting the Genius Bar.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
In my screen shot above, have your friend scroll to the top and turn off iMessage and see if that helps.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I had a look at the page for deregistering a phone number and the section above suggests one step we hadn’t done on my friend’s iPhone, I’ve now turned off FaceTime as well on his phone. Hopefully this works now, I still find it strange that everything was fine until iOS 11.3 though.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes iMessage was already turned off on his phone as it has been for the past 1.5 yrs when it was working.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I had a look at the page for deregistering a phone number and the section above suggests one step we hadn’t done on my friend’s iPhone, I’ve now turned off FaceTime as well on his phone. Hopefully this works now, I still find it strange that everything was fine until iOS 11.3 though.
Excellent. I hope that works.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
FYI, OP says that the friend is *not* using iMessage. People who do not have iMessage turned on can send and receive MMS messages to send media or to participate in group messages (and then all members of the group will receive as MMS) so long as those options are turned on.

Maybe OP's friend can try to use the Apple online method to de-regsiter the phone number from iMessage? See https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

If that doesn't work, I think that this is a problem that's worth investigating with Apple, either by calling AppleCare or visiting the Genius Bar.

Yeah, I know. Apparently auto-correct decided to change “doesn’t” to “does” in my reply. I’ve since made the correction. I was basically trying to say that the friend should use the Messages app to send and receive iMessages since he doesn’t have a data plan.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I was basically trying to say that the friend should use the Messages app to send and receive iMessages since he doesn’t have a data plan.

Just to clarify in my head, iMessages are sent using an internet connection - right? So, when the friend was out and about, s/he would not receive any messages without a data plan (i.e, the carrier plan is voice and SMS only) until s/he returned to WiFi. Or, am I getting that wrong?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify in my head, iMessages are sent using an internet connection - right? So, when the friend was out and about, s/he would not receive any messages without a data plan (i.e, the carrier plan is voice and SMS only) until s/he returned to WiFi. Or, am I getting that wrong?

You are correct. No data plan = no iMessage.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Unless something has changed, sending and receiving SMS messages on a phone does not require a data plan because they are sent over voice. With that being said, if the OP and the friend were trying to send pics or other files via the Messages app without a data plan then the friend would need to be on Wi-Fi and sending the message as an iMessage. The OP and the friend should be able to send and receive SMS messages with a voice-only plan, but not if the message contains a file.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Unless something has changed, sending and receiving SMS messages on a phone does not require a data plan because they are sent over voice. With that being said, if the OP and the friend were trying to send pics or other files via the Messages app without a data plan then the friend would need to be on Wi-Fi and sending the message as an iMessage. The OP and the friend should be able to send and receive SMS messages with a voice-only plan, but not if the message contains a file.

When he had iMessage enabled the messages would get sent to his MacBook and iPad and not to his iPhone. I guess he could disable iMessage on his iPad and on the MacBook. However, I’m not sure how to disable iMessage on a MacBook though.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When he had iMessage enabled the messages would get sent to his MacBook and iPad and not to his iPhone. I guess he could disable iMessage on his iPad and on the MacBook. However, I’m not sure how to disable iMessage on a MacBook though.

1. Was the iPhone also connected to WI-Fi when the messages were received on the iPad and MacBook?

2. Was iMessage enabled on his iPhone at the time the messages were received on the iPad and MacBook?

3. SMS messages should be going to his iPhone as long as he has an active cellular voice plan and cellular is enabled on the device.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
1+2. With iMessage enabled and the iPhone not on wifi the messages were sent to the iPad and MacBook and not to the iPhone since he doesn’t have data.

3. With iMessage disabled the sms texts weren’t going to his iPhone for some reason consistently since iOS 11.3.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Ok, that's probably the issue. Your friend will have to disable iMessage on all devices connected to the Apple ID. Otherwise, since you have iMessage on, your Messages app will send messages as iMessage to his Apple ID and he will never see them on the phone.

On a Mac, open the Messages app and open Preferences (Cmd-, or Messages / Preferences menu option), click "Accounts" and sign out of the account.

Last edited:

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok, that's probably the issue. Your friend will have to disable iMessage on all devices connected to the Apple ID. Otherwise, since you have iMessage on, your Messages app will send messages as iMessage to his Apple ID and he will never see them on the phone.

On a Mac, open the Messages app and open Preferences (Cmd-, or Messages / Preferences menu option), click "Accounts" and sign out of the account.

This worked or is working so far. Thanks for the help everyone. I still don’t understand why it used to work before unless the settings somehow changed with the macOS or iOS update.

NJOSBORNE

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2