Is there a way to keep the Siri response silent without putting the phone on mute?
    03-08-2018 06:01 AM
    you mean when you ask Siri a question, and you dont want Siri to answer over the speaker? How else would you hear it?
    Trees likes this.
    03-08-2018 03:53 PM
    I think the original poster would prefer to see a written/typed response from Siri rather than a verbal response from Siri. At least that’s my interpretation of the question!
    Trees likes this.
    03-08-2018 04:18 PM
    I totally get that question! Why does Siri have to say out loud "OK, here are some things I found on the web"....Just show it on the screen and shut up about it already!
    Ledsteplin and Trees like this.
    03-08-2018 10:02 PM
    I can’t say I disagree here but I’m sure Apple does that intentionally. There’s a little war going on right now between different digital assistants and having them speak to users as if they are real people living inside of our devices tricks our brains into developing more of a connection to them.
    In other words, it’s all a mind game.
    kataran likes this.
    03-09-2018 05:41 AM
    I can’t say I disagree here but I’m sure Apple does that intentionally. There’s a little war going on right now between different digital assistants and having them speak to users as if they are real people living inside of our devices tricks our brains into developing more of a connection to them.
    In other words, it’s all a mind game.
    This seems like an extremely bad reason to me... would Apple really want to discourage people from using Siri? Maybe the cloud computing behind it is getting too expensive for them to maintain.
    03-10-2018 06:01 AM
    This seems like an extremely bad reason to me... would Apple really want to discourage people from using Siri? Maybe the cloud computing behind it is getting too expensive for them to maintain.
    I think it’s only discouraging to a small group of users. I doubt cost is an issue with the wealthiest company in the world, especially when digital assistants are becoming more and more prevalent. Investing in infrastructure is very important to tech companies as they focus more on services.
    I don’t work for Apple though. I have no more of a clue than most other end users. I’m just trying to justify their reasoning here and I recently read a study that was conducted about users forming subconscious emotional bonds with digital assistants. Creepy but there was definitely a connection.
    03-10-2018 06:08 AM
    you mean when you ask Siri a question, and you dont want Siri to answer over the speaker? How else would you hear it?
    Annie_8plus and Soreloser mentioned good examples. I'm not opposed to the speaker response option, just when out in public places, at work, etc. would like an option to have Siri respond silently. As an example, Google Assistant can respond to a typed question with no sound and phone speaker does not have to be muted.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    03-10-2018 07:44 AM
    I would ask this question: How does Siri work for the hearing impaired? My Dad is hard of hearing and if he were using my iPad he would be able to ask the verbal question of Siri but unable to hear a response.
    Trees likes this.
    03-10-2018 10:49 AM
    I would ask this question: How does Siri work for the hearing impaired? My Dad is hard of hearing and if he were using my iPad he would be able to ask the verbal question of Siri but unable to hear a response.
    Siri doesn’t just reply with an answer by voice, it answers with text inline to your question.

If you turn down your volume level, you won’t hear a thing.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    03-10-2018 07:25 PM
    Siri doesn’t just reply with an answer by voice, it answers with text inline to your question.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...09b4981876.jpg

If you turn down your volume level, you won’t hear a thing.
    Sacramento! Hey there.. Elk Grove for me!
    scruffypig likes this.
    03-12-2018 11:21 AM