Could someone please recommend a good Ad-Blocker for iPhone?

wind0ze

May 22, 2018
Visit site
Proprietary software is the equivalent of malware. Yes, iOS is proprietary. But that doesn’t mean the apps you use have to be. FOSS apps are readily available in the App Store.

AdBlock by FutureMindhttps://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/adblock/id691121579?l=en&mt=8

Last edited:

wind0ze

May 22, 2018
Visit site
REV3NTECH seems to be pushing AdGuard Pro very heavily, almost like he may be working for the company that makes it. Nobody shills that hard for an app unless they work for them too. His posts should be removed from this thread as spam.

So all those in here pushing AdBlock and in one case saying they “trust Jennifer” must work for her.

wind0ze

May 22, 2018
Visit site
Fair enough. The internet as we know it today wouldn’t exist without ads. We’d be paying directly for services and the innovation that has taken place over the years would have slowed to a crawl.
Better?

Your statement is utterly false. Have you seen your ISP bill lately?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Your statement is utterly false. Have you seen your ISP bill lately?

That's for access to the internet. Nothing to do with the content on the internet. AT&T, Comcast, etc. definitely aren't sharing their riches with publishers on the web.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ad-Blocker for iPhone

That's for access to the internet. Nothing to do with the content on the internet. AT&T, Comcast, etc. definitely aren't sharing their riches with publishers on the web.

Exactly. I can’t see AT&T, or any ISP for that matter, sharing their profits with the rest of the internet. iMore, for example, only exists because of ad revenue regardless of who I pay for internet access. The same can be said for any for-profit web site or social network that doesn’t charge a subscription fee. Ads drive today’s internet.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. I can’t see AT&T, or any ISP for that matter, sharing their profits with the rest of the internet. iMore, for example, only exists because of ad revenue regardless of who I pay for internet access. The same can be said for any for-profit web site or social network that doesn’t charge a subscription fee. Ads drive today’s internet.

Ads don't drive today's internet. User ignorance does. Print Magazines and Newspapers probably said the same thing you said :p We just like the internet better, because it's a lot easier to delete the Ads before we even see the product... The same way people woke up and started getting their news from YouTube, they're already blocking record numbers of YouTube Ads.

Not because I mind Video Ads on YouTube, but because I do mind it when it pauses the Ads (that I'm still forced to finish watching) and pops up a huge window when I mistakenly touch my trackpad with the mouse cursor over the video window, generating a mistaken click.

It's easier to block any and all things than deal with white listing certain websites, especially when these sites use 3rd party advertising networks and opening yourself up to them often means opening yourself up to a lot more. Yes, it means that some "good players" get thrown out with the bad apples, but I'd rather not do the extra work.

The reason why people block ads is because the advertisers have become vulturous and abusive. Also, there have been too many data breeches, leaks, or shady data sharing contracts brought to light. People are distrusting of them, and most sites use 3rd party Ad Networks that they do not control (they're are more controlled by the Networks, Lol).

The idea of a[n auto-playing] video ad on a website being a good idea only registers to someone who is selling video ads at a premium to advertisers. User Experience is secondary to these people. Delayed Ad Loading that pushes content down to hunt for misclick impressions is an obnoxious tactic. Overlay ads with microscopic [x] to close them are obnoxious. Mobile Ads, covering the content, that are wider than the screen (on pages that cannot be zoomed out) and force you to change device orientation to close them are obnoxious.

I am totally okay with sites blocking users with AdBlock. I've run across several since I've started using a Blocker, and I can't even remember the name of the sites. I simply never went back, and forgot about them (quite a few tech blogs do this). Totally okay with this.

Ads being Ads has never been the problem. Most people are okay with advertising. We get it on TV and Radio, all the time, and we don't complain.

The way advertising is done on the internet is a lot more vulturous than anything we have experienced in other mediums, though. Obnoxious, misleading, vulturous, and exploitative advertising is the problem.

And I don't have the time in my life to vet every site on the internet, so I block any and all advertising and simply don't visit sites that block AdBlockers. They need eyeballs. I don't need them.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ads don't drive today's internet. User ignorance does. Print Magazines and Newspapers probably said the same thing you said :p

I’m not sure we are talking about the same thing here. User ignorance doesn’t generate revenue. Ads generate revenue. This is why (and how) sites like iMore exist. This is why half of the sites I visit show me a pop up asking me to whitelist them on my ad blocker. Print magazines and newspapers relied on both ads and subscription fees. If internet sites relied on users paying subscription fees they’d probably go out of business.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Delayed Ad Loading that pushes content down to hunt for misclick impressions is an obnoxious tactic. Overlay ads with microscopic [x] to close them are obnoxious. Mobile Ads, covering the content, that are wider than the screen (on pages that cannot be zoomed out) and force you to change device orientation to close them are obnoxious.

Those are the worst offenders to me. Or the ads that completely cover content for a certain amount of time before you can close them. Then the x is so tiny it's almost impossible to hit it in the right place to not open the ad inside a browser. Those mostly happen on apps that include ads.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Those are the worst offenders to me. Or the ads that completely cover content for a certain amount of time before you can close them. Then the x is so tiny it's almost impossible to hit it in the right place to not open the ad inside a browser. Those mostly happen on apps that include ads.

This is the biggest selling point for the Samsung Note and it’s S Pen.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have deleted Crystal and started using the paid version of 1Blocker.
For that price, I hope the dev will keep the app up to date for the foreseeable future.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73